This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going back to hell . . .

I'm being pulled from remodel and starting back on the cash register starting tomorrow. Remodel is not over, it has 15 days left and at least another week of putting up signing, which is mainly what I've been doing. I'll be honest; I have never had quite so much fun at work before, and never before can I remember really wanting to show up for my job each day.

I worked at this same store before and I was a cashier for over two years. They were some of the most miserable times of my life. I've worked so hard to get away from a register, and I even went to school last year for Phlebotomy and nursing aid, but it didn't work out. I was sincerely hoping to be put in a stock position or something of that nature, but no. I at least thought they'd wait until the remodel was over before they put me back into the hell cubicles, but no. And I realize this sounds incredibly ungrateful in today's economy. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate having a job. I just wish it wasn't THIS one. All the store planning leads have been really impressed with my work and after being somewhat favored by them for over a month, going back to being a register peon will absolutely suck. Not to mention that most of the cashiers and CSMs in this store are some of the glummest, unhappiest, most pessimistic people I've ever had the misfortune of talking to, and I hate being around them. Gripe, gripe, bitch bitch, complain, complain, all day long. While on remodel, my schedule was 8-5, Monday through Friday. We all went to break, lunch, and clocked out together, and I made lots of friends. I'm going to miss them and I'll hate not working with them anymore. Now my schedule is totally fucked. 12:30-9, 6PM-10PM (During the LOST finale, dammit!), 8:35-5, 2-11. etc.

Then there's the issue of who all from remodel is being retained and those who aren't. We have people like myself and my signage partner, who actually work, who are being kept. Then you have two girls who are going up front with me. One is slow as fucking molasses and leaving in a few weeks anyways because she's pregnant with her fourth child. The other walks around 'looking' busy but does a whole lot of nothing besides sneaking outside to visit her boyfriend the forklift driver or screwing him in their car at lunch. And then there are several friends of mine that I regularly break with who have shown up and worked their asses off from day 1 who haven't been offered anything yet, and they should have been the first people hired. It's just not fair

Store planning says they're really going to miss me, but they told me I don't need to be on the register for very long before I try to get into other departments. But yeah . . . still sucks. I just needed to vent, really
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

*offers chocolate* I even have some of the kind that has little bits of orange in it. *offers this also*
    Last edited by RootedPhoenix; 05-22-2010, 04:45 AM. Reason: adding
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

That really sucks. I'm on a store-remodel crew too (for all I know, we're at the same store). Have you considered asking if you can go to the next store remodel? One of my coworkers was offered that option and turned it down because he hates remodeling and doesn't want to travel to another part of Texas to do more of the same. (I don't blame him because I can't wait for this remodel to be over, but that's just my perspective - some of my coworkers love it and would probably be happy to keep doing it.)

Of course, you shouldn't listen to me because nobody at work heeds my advice, ever. I offer perfectly reasonable solutions when asked, including, "Kill it with fire," and, "Put a few propane tanks into the box crusher and run like hell," but everyone always whines that my plans aren't good enough. If they didn't want to listen to what I had to say, why'd they ask?

Comment

It's been said on another thread here, but just because the economy is horrible it doesn't mean you have to like a horrible job. It might mean you have to stay with said job, but you're allowed to hate it if it sucks.

And as the for the co-worker who will be leaving in a few weeks: they probably hate that too, but they're legally obligated to ignore that fact. And since it's hard to ignore something like that, it potentially results in being a slight advantage. (They try harder to make sure they have a real reason to not keep her on, to avoid a suit).

Comment

Working...
        X