This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the hell should I know?

When we moved into the house we're in now, we didn't have a land line. After we got a modification on our cable plan, though, we ended up with one of those 'internet, tv, and phone' things. Thus, for the past several months, we've gotten calls at least once a week for whoever had our phone number before we did. The lawyers and bill collectors have been pretty understanding when I tell them they have the wrong number, as was the public school. However, this is a thing that just happened-

Phone: *rings*
    Me: *answers*
    Lady on the other end: "Hi is *person who used to have our number* there?"
    Me: "Sorry, you have the wrong number."
    Lady: "Oh. *half-second pause* Is there a better number that I can call *person* at?"
    Me: " I have no idea. This isn't her phone number anymore."
    Lady: "Do you know *person*?"
    Me: "No, sorry."
    Lady: "Oh ok. Bye."
    Me: *thinking* Did that really just happen?

Like...she wasn't rude about it. Just rather oblivious/possibly not listening when I said 'wrong number'. It was probably one of the more interesting calls for this person that I've answered.
    Last edited by firecat88; 06-25-2014, 07:15 PM.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

I don't think she was a collection agent, though. There was no 'Hi, this is *person* calling from *name of business*' preamble like there usually is with those type calls.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

I still get 5-6 calls a day for the person who had my number before I did. This Marjorie person was terrible about paying her bills.
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
        Not all collection agents will identify themselves or their agency - I've been called by several of them trying to collect on one of my ex-boyfriends, and I'd say that 85% of them did not provide any identifying information.
        Huh. O.o I did not know that. I'm so used to there being that identifying info that I thought that was the standard thing.

Comment

IIRC, it's supposed to be the standard thing, but agents know that, if they actually GET the person they're looking for, the phone may get hung up rather quickly. They ask the questions on the - often quite remote - chance that you really did know the prior user of that number. I don't generally have that issue, as I've literally had the same number since the 80's >_> Once in a while, though...
          Last edited by EricKei; 06-25-2014, 08:28 PM.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I hate some collection agents. Especially the assholes.
            You mean like the ones that leave voice mail such as "I need to verify an address to present you with your formal claim at your residence and place of employment. <not my name at all>, you have charges and a claim against you. At this point, you have one opportunity to contact the firm handling your claim to discuss this matter...."?

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
              "I need to verify an address to present you with your formal claim at your residence and place of employment. <not my name at all>, you have charges and a claim against you. At this point, you have one opportunity to contact the firm handling your claim to discuss this matter...."?
              We've gotten those too. @_@ On our answering machine, which starts 'Hi, you've reached the *my last name* residence'. It's ridiculous because my last name doesn't sound even remotely like this lady's (hers is 4 syllables; mine is 1 and impossible to make even 2 out of unless you try really hard and throw an extra vowel or two in there).

I swear, next time I see one of those on the caller ID, I'm going to answer 'Bob's Possum Shack. You kill it, we grill it. Can I take your order?'

Comment

I had one person who was actually giving out our phone number. I had to tell several of the people trying to call him what he was doing, and ask them to ask him to stop.

Eventually he did.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I hate some collection agents. Especially the assholes.
                  Isn't this a redundant statement?
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    I had one person who was actually giving out our phone number. I had to tell several of the people trying to call him what he was doing, and ask them to ask him to stop.

Eventually he did.

I had a similar problem. When I first got my phone number, I learned it was very similar to a nearby hospital. Not too big a deal, just tell people it was the wrong number, right? For the most part this worked. But damn, did I have to deal with some idiots. Had one lady accuse me of being some lazy receptionist and that I was refusing to connect her. Had somebody else say I should sue the hospital for having such a similar number... The list goes on and on. All this time, I didn't know the hospital these people were trying to call, so I couldn't do anything to get these calls to stop until one kind gentlemen read off the number he was trying to reach and it turns out the number was completely identical to mine, save but two numbers in the middle that were switched. I still get calls but at least I can direct people to the right place.
                    Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Not really, surprisingly enough. I have spoken to some really nice collections agents over the years who do not abuse the people they are speaking to. They are few and far between, likely not lasting long in the business though.
                      Same. Like I said, most of the calls we get, the people are pretty understanding and apologetic about calling the wrong number. That this lady was a bit pushy about it was really the first time it's happened.

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                        Same. Like I said, most of the calls we get, the people are pretty understanding and apologetic about calling the wrong number. That this lady was a bit pushy about it was really the first time it's happened.
                        Sadly, based on what I have seen. It will not be the last time it will happen.
                        I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Eevie View Post
                          I had a similar problem. When I first got my phone number, I learned it was very similar to a nearby hospital.
                          Back at DaddyJim's Pizza, if residents started getting one too many calls from customers thinking they were us, we generally were required to just buy their phone number from them (around $3500 back in the late 90's). Didn't happen often, but it happened enough that we had over a dozen phone numbers what would ring at our store by that time.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

IANAL but about collection agencies, because of third party laws, they are not allowed to state who they are or the nature of their business unless they are speaking to the person they are looking for.

And the ones who leave messages at wrong numbers, you can thank auto-dialers for that. A computer will dial like 5 numbers at once and the first person to pick up gets to be the lucky recipient of the phone call. And in the case of voice mail, by the time the agent picks up the phone, the voice mail is ready to beep so they most likely didn't even hear the voice mail message and just ASS-U-ME they reached the right number.

Comment

*waves hand* I do collections work now so I can tell you exactly what she was doing. She was attempting to see if you knew the person who had the number or any other small bits of information that could potentially be useful for locating that person. As a rule when we are calling unless we have reach the person who is responsible for the bill e may not say who we are (unless you ask us) and we certainly won't tell you why we are calling. Violates the Fair credit/debit act or what ever its called that protects the consumer against unfair collection practices and privacy laws.

In my case not only are we looking for the customer, we are also trying to figure out where our collateral is. In a case like yours I'll usually ask when you got the number. Helps me narrow my search down.
                              "I try to take reality one day at time, but sometimes several days attack me at once."

Comment

Working...
                              X