This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demanding A Bagger

This happened awhile ago, but I haven't really been posting much.

One of the high school kids needed a ride home, his parents couldn't pick him up, it was late, and dark, and he lived like two miles away, so he didn't want to walk, and no one thought it was a good idea for him to walk home that late alone anyway. So I said if he didn't mind waiting until I was done, I'd give him a ride. He stayed, and read the magazines at the registers to kill time.

While he was reading, I go a big order. The guy said to get him a bagger, since he didn't want to go bag himself. I said that they were all done for the day, which was true. He saw the kid standing behind me reading magazines, and said what about him. I explained that he was done and was just waiting for a ride.

The customer told me that was no reason why he couldn't bag, and then yelled at the kid to come over and get bagging. Me and the bagger were both like WTF at that point. I started to explain to the customer that it's against the rules for us to work off the clock. And he still insisted that he should be made to bag for him, since he was still in the store, and he was a paying customer, blah, blah, blah, and the kid was just standing there reading. So the kid goes off to buy something, so then he'd be a paying customer to.

LOL smart kid. That's cute. I hate it when people demand you work, when you're off the clock.
    "God appreciates your editing" -Kes

Comment

Quoth Falconess View Post
      LOL smart kid. That's cute. I hate it when people demand you work, when you're off the clock.
      Yeah, the best part about it then was he shared with me, so I got a snack too.

Comment

I walked into my place of work wearing low cut jeans and a tank top once (our dress code=business casual) to get my schedule and had someone start asking me game trade values.

Best course of action? Stare uncomfortably for two to three seconds, sigh heavily and then just walk away.
        Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

What an EW. As I just posted elsewhere, this guy also needs to suck it up and deal with it.

As if your arms are going to fall off if you have to bag your own groceries. Be glad you get to buy/eat groceries, ass.
          Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

I would have brought up the point to the guy that if he had just gotten off of working a long day, would he want to get back on the clock or stay off the clock and do more work? I think not.

I too have had this happen to myself when I am standing in line to buy something after getting off. I got yelled at to get back on the clock to ring them out since they didn't want to wait and I shouldn't be standing there in line like them to buy something when there are other customers waiting like me.

Comment

Also, working of the clock is a liability. If you happen to hurt yourself (not very likely while bagging groceries, but you can never know) and you are working off the clock, you're in trouble.
              "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Oh I had that problem all the time when I worked at the airport. I'd normally just wear my work coat on my way to and from work. Part of the reason I started taking the bus was I was tired of customers stopping me while I was walking out to employee parking asking when I was going to check their car back in... it's like, yeah I'm still in uniform, but what makes you think I'm on duty, I walking from the office towards to employee parking (ok, they might not know where employee parking is, but it's not towards the rental return line), carrying my backpack and lunch box... it was so much easier just to go to the bus stop above the rental office... it was great, go out the back door of the office, sneak around the side entrance to the car rental plaza, up the escalators and to the left and I'm at the bus stop free from SCs (they were all downstairs renting cars, not upstairs waiting for a bus).
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

OMG. What makes people think that retail workers love their work so much that they will work for free, off the clock, on their breaks and days off?

Comment

Quoth Music Mo-Gal View Post
                    OMG. What makes people think that retail workers love their work so much that they will work for free, off the clock, on their breaks and days off?
                    That's what I'd like to know. What a tool.
                    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Music Mo-Gal View Post
                      I'm guessing they think your employer owns your soul and your customers are your sole purpose for living

my job code has a slightly different dress code than the rest of the store, because our job can get a little dirty at times and dirt makes khaki pants look like absolute shit, so the only time I get people asking me for stuff is if i'm just popping out of the back room, and it's usually getting something off a shelf that I can reach or a quick question, so it's not that big of an issue for me

Comment

I remember going in to the games store I used to work at several months after I'd quit (left on good terms) and one of the regulars came into the store and walked right up to me with a pile of games to trade.

He was nice about it and I simply directed him to one of the on the clock employees at the counter, but this guy was a regular, did he not notice I hadn't been working here at all in the past several months?
                        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I actually got yelled at by a customer because I was leaving work and cut through to the front of the store through a closed till line. This customer saw me going through there and ran up to the lane with a full cart, then complained when I didn't start ringing her up.

Mind you, I tend to forget to take my apron off before I get home.

See, I have no problem if a customer sees me leave the break room and can't find something or has a question; that's nothing. But don't bite my head off because I want to go home after 8 hours of dealing with people like you, instead of processing your $350 order.

Comment

Quoth marty View Post
                            I walked into my place of work wearing low cut jeans and a tank top once (our dress code=business casual) to get my schedule and had someone start asking me game trade values.

Best course of action? Stare uncomfortably for two to three seconds, sigh heavily and then just walk away.

I've been asked if I work there:
                            • While wearing jeans, sneakers and sweatshirt (all not allowed by the dress code) and carrying 2 Starbucks cups (got coffee for my friend who was working so he wouldn't have to waste his break waiting on line for coffee)
                            • While on my way into the building for my shift, wearing coat, scarf, and gloves, and carrying my bag, my lunch, and a wet umbrella.
                            My response (in both instances)?

"No."
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

One of the local supermarket chains in my area dress code is black pants and shoes, white dress shirt and tie for most employees. Employees who wotk with food (deli, meat, preprepared foods) have distinct uniforms that are standard within the food service industry. Once i walked into some of their stores in khaki cargo shorts, t-shirt and cap. One custonmer came up to me...
                              SC: sir! go check in back and see if you have any more of <whatever> in stock
                              Me: I don't work here. I just saw an employee .........
                              SC: stop lying to me! (SCREAMING) Go check!
                              Me: Does it look like i work here? I;'m wearing ...
                              SC: (SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF HER LUNGS) I said go check you rude kid! You (unintelligible rambling)
                              Me: No! find an employee.
                              SC: Let's out a scream like a female version of Howard Dean.

Just then a manager approaches. The SC DEMANDS that the manager fire me on the spot for not helping her.

MOD: Unfourrnley, I can not. I have never seen this person in my life. I don't even know who this person works for. He is clearly not a <company> employee working based on what he is wearing.

SC: Your LYING! LYING! I will get you all fired!

With that the SC stomped off.

Comment

Working...
                              X