This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They actually expect us to do this!

I work for a large corporation pet store. I won't mention the name of the company, but it rhymes with BLETCO. Now, as some of you may know, we sell African emperor scorpions (harmless) and rose-haired tarantulas (also harmless). Though I've already stated that both of these animals aren't dangerous, that's not to say that a bite or sting isn't unpleasant. It sucks.

Now, about a month ago, a man approached me and stated that he and his son were interested in a tarantula. I followed him to the reptile section (I know tarantulas aren't reptiles, but that's where BLETCO keeps them) and he pointed out which one they liked: a rose-haired tarantula. So I unlocked the cage and picked it up to show them. They studied it, interested. Then the boy's father said, "Do they bite?" I replied, "Rarely. you have to really anger them to make them bite." He said, "What happens if they bite?" Now, I've been bitten by a tarantula before, so I know what happens from experience. "It's about the same as a bee sting," I said. Then I lost all respect for this particular customer. He said, "Can you make it bite you so we can see what it's like?"

At first, I thought he was joking. He wasn't. When I told him I wasn't going to intentionally get bitten by a large arachnid, he asked why. I said, "Would you?"
    He replied, "No, but you work here. I'm not going to buy a tarantula unless I know for sure that the bite isn't dangerous." I said, "Sir, I myself have been bitten by a tarantula before. It swells up for a day or so, then it's gone." He replied, "Well, if it's that mild, why don't you make it bite you?" I said, "Sir, I'm sorry, but I simply am not going to make this tarantula bite me just so you can see it." I put the tarantula back in her cage. The man said, "Fine, we'll go someplace else then."

About a week later, one of my coworkers said that a woman tried to get her to do the same thing with a scorpion. I loathe sucky customers, but man, are they amusing!

O_O He actually expected you to... yesh.

Comment

But see, even if you had the tarantula had bitten you, the SC still wouldn't be able to see that it was harmless. You could be fine for an hour and then keel over from the poison seeping through your veins and have your eyes fall out of your head or some other grotesque Indiana Jones-like death. Really, that guy needed to see firsthand what the bite was like.

But I imagine you would get fired for that. Probably arrested.

Comment

I'm sorry sir, but I cannot sell any creature to you. Please leave.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Uh, cruelty to animals, anyone?
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Lets make it bite him and see how he likes it, it may not kill you but would still hurt like a son of a bitch. Like you would intensionally hurt yourself.

Idiot
            I am but a tiny, barren, insignificant rock caught in the glorious orbit of your shining sun. Gravekeeper.

Comment

anybody see the episode of viva la bam where they blinfolded a guy, told him to hit the pinata, and it turned out to be full of bees? someone needs to do that to this dumbass

Comment

"Sir, would you let ME bite YOU to show that MY bites are harmless?"

Actually, I leave marks.
                Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Sweet merciful crap!
                  I means seriously! What a douchebag. Holy crap, guy. I wonder how you treat your family.
                  Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

"oh yes sir let me have my hand swell up again and become unusable for a day so you can see if its harmless" AUGH!!! if you are that worried about a dangerous pet why are you getting something that can shoot hair at you, blinding you, and bite you! (note: I like spiders myself, just making a point) besides even a hamster bite can hurt like hell so that guy is offically dumb

ot, what happens when an emperor scorpion stings you?
                    http://dragcave.net/user/LadyMage

Comment

I was very phobic about spiders for the longest time before I started work in the pet store I worked in briefly... and managed to get up the courage to learn more about the tarantulas we had, and actually *shiver* hold one... but it was part of my job and I knew they weren't nasty, so I did it!

Heck, I half mentally spazzed out when the one started scraping back hairs off on me and the kid that were holding it at the time (calmly and nicely, but apparently it wasn't in a good mood and didn't feel like crawling endlessly over my hands it seems, and got nervous... but for those who don't know, the reaction can be very mild itchy or severely itchy for a while, it's a "go away!" defense - usually aimed for the face of whatever's bothering it). If someone asked me to "let it bite me so they can see it" I would probably try and get my then-manager to make them leave.. he probably would laugh in their face, ask them if they were really that dumb and tell them to get out. On the other hand, the owner of the store ( a complete @#$$@ - insert various insults here) would probably try and get me to do it too. Anything to make money. Blah.

People are stupid... they want to see a spider bite someone, they can watch tv or look it up online, I'm sure it's somewhere, don't ask people to do it for you.
                      Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

That asshole needs a five-gallon bucket of spiders and dog feces dumped over his head.

Comment

Forensic Waitress shakes her head in worry of the sort of world she is bring her children into.
                          Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

Oh man this makes me sad! Yes I am scared to death of snakes and am not to fond of spiders but I've had the one tarantula on me and it was a beautiful thing.

To antagonize any animal just raises my ire. Like the ferret, she's sweet as heck but can take a chunk out of you if you really make her mad. Same with the cats. You don't mess with the one unless she wants to mess with you. Even then, she can and possibly will take a chunk out of you if she decides she doesn't like you!!

Why would you do this to an animal? I guess it's the same as the reason humans will piss off other humans huh? Just to see what happens. *shakes head* And the bitch on the bowling alley wonders why I gave her the glare when she said crap about me and DF. Same f'ing thing. And yes, I will bite.
                            Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

Quite simply:

SC: "Well, if it's that mild, why don't you make it bite you?"
                              Me: "Go fuck yourself, sir."
                              "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Working...
                              X