This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently I can fix anything.

Somehow people mainly the big boss has the impression I can fix anything.

So In the last month next to my normal IT duties;

I have had to replace 2 automatic door closers.

Replaced all the hardware in 2 toilets.

Setup, install and power 3 security cameras.

Replace a door strike for one of the main entrances.

At first I did not mind, I got bonus points with Big Boss and saved the company a couple hundred of dollars during a slow day when I just look at lolcats. But next they want me to look at the forklift, and the speakers in the warehouse. Worst part is I know I can fix them, so its not like I have a reason to say no.

Repeat it together with me. N-O..... no.... no.......too dangerous.... no.... no.. not qualified... no.... no... no thank you... no... no... no.... not paid enough....

Otherwise, if they are paying you to be Mr. Fixit, the benefits better be worth it. lol
    Make a list of important things to do today.
    At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
    Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

And be grateful nobody has brought in their dog or cat to be fixed! :-)
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
        And be grateful nobody has brought in their dog or cat to be fixed! :-)
        Or significant other.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

mikey will do it

Quoth Daskinor View Post
          Somehow people mainly the big boss has the impression I can fix anything.

But next they want me to look at the forklift, and the speakers in the warehouse. Worst part is I know I can fix them, so its not like I have a reason to say no.
          IMO you'd be putting yourself in an awkward position if anything at all went wrong with the forklift and hurt someone. I wouldn't do it myself although I'm pretty good with mechs. Try to explain gracefully that they're putting you in a vulnerable position. A lot of those guys are certified and carry at least a million in liability. Careful step lightly here

Comment

Quoth Daskinor View Post
            But next they want me to look at the forklift, and the speakers in the warehouse. Worst part is I know I can fix them, so its not like I have a reason to say no.
            ... Don't you have to be a certified mechanic to fix those? I'm probably wrong, but it makes sense to me.
            "Did you at least ascertain the nature of his curse so that I may know the monstrosity that I face? ... A GIRL? He was... Turned into a girl? WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?" -EGS http://egscomics.com

Comment

Quoth noone View Post
              ... Don't you have to be a certified mechanic to fix those? I'm probably wrong, but it makes sense to me.
              Look at all the extra parts I found inside it!

-- Musician rebilding the brakes on the band van (my boss's band).
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Yeah, i got into that while welding.

I started out on the floor as a welder, then i moved on to fix welding machines, re running power, fixing A/C units, fixing mobile cranes and equipment, then finally working on the 600V overhead cranes.

Its a thankless job, yes you get brownie points, but you wont get extra pay and if you screw up its all on you man.

Comment

Got to agree. Little stuff, if you don't mind futzing with it and you're bored, okay. Anything more and bow off.

Comment

Quoth Daskinor View Post
                    NOT the forklift.
                    NOT mains electrical.
                    NOT plumbing beyond minor things.

NOTHING where liability can come back and bite you on the ass in five years' time.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

^ This is really really good advice

I fix stuff thats out of my job description all the time at work, but there are things that I just refuse to do on safety or liability grounds.
                      "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
                      Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

What the others said.

Little stuff is fine, but anything that has even the remotest possibility of you being liable for something needs to go to someone with the certification and insurance.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I can't tell you how many times employees expect me to deconstruct something or repair something. In no way, shape, or form do I have the ability or training to do that. In janitorial work, I really rather wasn't properly trained at all. I've learned how to clean things from watching the others or just making myself invent a way to do it.

But I have no talent for anything mechanical, not computers, not machines, and not building.
                          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                          X