This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling in sick is fun...

...when you can't get a hold of your boss!

My husband developed a cold a few days ago. I sighed and braced myself, because I knew I'd catch it. I was hoping it would hold off until my days off, but this one decided to pass to me immediately. As soon as he recovers and is able to go back to work, I realize I'm not going to be able to make it in.

Yesterday I called in sick, no problem. Boss was at work and answered the phone, everything was fine. I told him I'd get in touch with him same time tomorrow (which is to say, today) to let him know how I'm feeling and if I'd be able to make it in.

Today I had a LOT of trouble sleeping (I work nights). I made the mistake of taking Sudafed (the REAL stuff) before bed. I don't remember it interfering with my sleep this much (I'm the type that can guzzle caffeine before bed and sleep quite well), but I just could not get any solid sleep. And as I, you know, drive for 12 hours a night...though I feel like I could work health-wise, there's no way I could stay awake behind the wheel tonight. So I try to call in again.

Boss apparently didn't show up to work himself. One of the other drivers was in the office and answered the phone...well, that doesn't do me much good unless that driver manages to get in touch with him somehow. Called his cell, got his voice mail. Left a message on the voice mail explaining what was up (just told him I was still feeling too sick to make it in), unfortunately due to his side work and cell phone coverage, he probably won't get that message until around 8 or 9 this evening, a few hours after I'm scheduled to start work. Called his house, no answer. Just to cover all my bases, called the corporate office and somehow got transferred to a driver supervisor's voice mail...left a message there, though I doubt that really did any good.

I wanted to get this straightened out before a decent hour so arrangements for another driver could be made in plenty of time. I left him a voice mail, left a voice mail at some random supervisor's office that will probably get ignored, and plan to try to get in touch with him again in a few hours. I think I've covered myself pretty well. And since it's such a safety-conscious job, there's no way they can just demand I show up anyway if I've already deemed I'm too sick or fatigued to work. I'm just annoyed that Boss makes it so difficult to get in touch with him in situations like this, especially when he knew in advance I might need to call in again.

Oh well, off to try to sleep a couple more hours before doing the dance all over again...

I've had a similar situation.

One time I had a nasty flu and was trying to call in to work. I called and let the phone ring. For 15 minutes.

I counted, yes.

I was then disconnected so I called back. It rang for another 10 minutes or so before I was disconnected again.

At that point I just gave up and went back to sleep.

When I was next in to work no one made a big deal over it, or even mentioned it to me. I figure that letting the phone ring for a solid 25 minutes is enough effort on my part to alert them that I wouldn't be there. I'm still baffled why no one picked it up during that time.

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
      I was then disconnected
      I'm still baffled why no one picked it up during that time.
      They did, that first disconnect was them picking up and hanging right back up. I've seen it happen.
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

There is a very nasty cold going around. It starts with a terrible sore throat. Not fun.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
          They did, that first disconnect was them picking up and hanging right back up. I've seen it happen.
          Possible, but not necessarily.

I know that if I were to call my work and let it ring, it would cut me off and give a dial tone after about five minutes of ringing. Calling out from my work is pretty much the same way. (yes, I've timed these things - mostly because I had nothing better to do).

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

ahh, the old "I need to call in sick but can't get hold of anyone" story,

its always a pain in the ass. My problem is that noone gets into the office until 8:30 at the earliest and I start at 9:00.

What I generally do is leave a message or two and say that i'll call in later once everyone is in and then give my boss a call at about 9:10

My old place was a pain though, There were 2 of us doing a 7am-7pm shift on a 4 days on/4 days off rota while the rest of the people did a more normal 9-5 which meant that if we had to phone in we'd be waiting until 2 hours after we were supposed to be there in order to speak to anyone - that meant some nasty surprises.
            Last edited by Darkforge; 05-11-2010, 11:28 AM.
            "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
            Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Last time I called in sick at my last job was when I was working in customer service still. It purportedly has 24 hour coverage in the call center.

I called, it rolled into voicemail, so I left a voice mail.
              I called my boss' direct number and left a message. I called his cell number and left a message, I called his home number and left a message.
              I called HR and left a message.
              I emailed HR, my boss, and my floor supervisor.

I got in trouble for not contacting work.

I copied them on all the emails I left, and pointed out whom I left messages for and the numbers of the voice mail that I left messages at.

They apologized.

Some days it doesn't pay to gnaw free from the strait jacket.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                Last time I called in sick at my last job was when I was working in customer service still. It purportedly has 24 hour coverage in the call center.

I called, it rolled into voicemail, so I left a voice mail.
                I called my boss' direct number and left a message. I called his cell number and left a message, I called his home number and left a message.
                I called HR and left a message.
                I emailed HR, my boss, and my floor supervisor.

I got in trouble for not contacting work.

I copied them on all the emails I left, and pointed out whom I left messages for and the numbers of the voice mail that I left messages at.

They apologized.

Some days it doesn't pay to gnaw free from the strait jacket.
                DUH - gotta love it when you cover all the bases you can, and the bosses STILL can't figure it out.

"Some days it doesn't pay to gnaw free from the strait jacket. " - I might have to steal this and use it.

Comment

I think if you've left a message with a worker and left messages on phones you've done your part. If the boss's side business keeps him out of touch then he needs to give authority to someone to do his job while he is away.

Comment

That happened at my work recently. The opener called out (they come in at 5 am). Sup was on vacation so they call the store around 3:45 AM. Night crew doesn't answer the phone. The call the 24hr Corp. help desk and explain. They give a ticket number and will contact SM. Well SM shows up at 9 AM (store opened at 7) goes to their office and check VM, guess where the HD left a message.

The next person was scheduled for 7:30 so they come in to star prep that should have been started at 5. Normally the dept is ready and fully by 7:30 maybe 8, that day it was around 11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X