X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sax-o-phone! *plays*

No, this thread is not about playing a saxophone

Hi, I'm fireheart and I've become a Tropico addict.

I had picked up 3 previously, but then ended up picking up the expansion pack for 3 AND the collectors edition for 4 off of the Steam sale. God damn I love it!

For those of who you are unfamiliar, Tropico is kind of what you'd get if you took Sim City, placed it in a fictional Latin American country and also made you ruler (thus ensuring that you had to keep various factions happy to prevent uprisings, coups etc.). Both 3 and 4 are placed in the Cold War period, so you get to pick between the US and USSR for an alliance. In 4, the buildings also change over time, so you go from having just apartment blocks, to having "modern apartment blocks." Fish wharves become fish farms, regular farms become bio farms etc.

I'm still trying to work out the ins and outs, but it's SO. DAMN. FUN.
    The music is also very awesome, it's all this Latin American pop music-type stuff, including the song that contains a little riff with the title in it.

In 4, there are also scenarios involving a "panic meter" and DEFCON, so you have that changing element. You also have to deal with uprisings, protests, rebel attacks, coup d'etats and invasions from foreign countries (which in most scenarios is an instant game over), along with various natural disasters, none of which you have any control over. (well, the coups and uprisings you do, but the natural disasters you don't)

Too bad it's a single-player game
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...
Working...
X