This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always double check

A friendly heads up to anyone who is friends with a couple.

It is always a good idea to double check with a person's spouse/significant other before buying said person a non-refundable birthday gift, to make sure it hasn't already been purchased. If you do make the unfortunate mistake of purchasing something before checking and then realizing that your gift has already been purchased, it is NOT a good idea to suggest to the spouse that they should get something else as a gift instead.

My husband's birthday is this weekend. I got a message from a friend of ours this evening:

"Hey Maggie! I hope you didn't get your husband (new 3DS game) because I just bought it for him! "

When I had, in fact, just purchased said game just earlier today.

Here's the kicker: I bought the cartridge version of the game, while our friend purchased the digital version...which cannot be refunded. Let me repeat that. He bought the non-refundable version of a game that has refundable option before checking with me whether I had gotten it first.

Now he expects me to take the cartridge version back, since it IS refundable, and get something else for my husband instead.

He is lucky he told me all this online or his teeth would have become acquainted with my fist.

Wow. Just ... wow. HE didn't check first, so YOU should take YOUR gift back? Don't think so!

I did something similar recently ... bought two Star Wars toys for my nephew for Christmas. One is the Death Star planetarium; the other is a sort of "backpack" shaped like the Millennium Falcon, intended as a storage container for Star Wars Legos. Turns out nephew already has both ... his little friends gave them as birthday presents. I don't know if I've got the receipt anymore. If I can't return them, I'll just sell them closer to Christmas.

Then again, maybe I'll set up the Death Star planetarium in my place.

Comment

It's ok Maggie, just mail it over to me, and we'll call it all good...

/runs from any thrown items
      "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
      "What IS fun to fight through?"
      "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

That is definitely something you have to discuss with people beforehand I agree. And no one should expect someone to return a gift just because you bought the same one, that's just silly.

Now, while this is not the case here, I have had the issue of double presents due to secrecy. I have friends and family members who, if you ask them what they bought X for a present, will promptly tell you it is a surprise. Which is fine, I suppose, but it does end up making it hard to shop for people.
        Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
        Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Working...
        X