This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering giving up driving

I got stopped for the second time last night because my exhaust is loud due to an exhaust leak. (I had an accident last year and it has gotten progressively worse; there wasn't noise at first.) I didn't get a ticket; he let me off with a warning, as did the officer the last time. It's only a matter of time before I get a ticket. Plus, it's potentially health-threatening, though I do drive with all windows all the way down and I drive maybe 3 miles a day.

If I can get even a temporary fix for a few hundred dollars, that's better than a car payment every month, which, incidentally, is going to be high for someone with credit like mine. I just have no idea how much it will cost. I have a savings, but I don't want to exhaust it--pardon my pun.

As far as not driving, a bus pass costs $60, which is what I spend on gas anyway. I really don't spend a lot because I go to work and the grocery and Wallyworld. They're all within 2 miles of my apartment. Anything else I could plan for on a day off. However, on my 7:30 am days I'd have to leave the house at 6:30. To go 1 1/2 miles. I can walk it, but carrying all my stuff is hard on my messed-up spine. On late nights I'd have to pay for cabs, and that gets expensive. If I taylor my work schedule to the bus schedule, I will get less hours and therefore less pay.
    It would be a relief to not have to drive anymore, as I have been in so many accidents that it stresses me to drive just a mile or two. I used to love driving, too. But working a ridiculous retail schedule on public transportation is so hard to do in a small town. In my hometown we had maybe 20 routes, some of which went 40 miles out with only one transfer fare. Here there are just a few and they don't even run on Sundays.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I think errands after dark are a bad idea because that's when I get stopped.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I don't know how traffic is like in your area, but if I were in your position I'd invest in a good sturdy bike and a saddle bag. Would that be a possibility? In case you aren't physically able to ride a bike, would a trike or an electric scooter be an option?
    Last edited by NorthernZel; 09-02-2015, 11:36 PM.
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

I don't know. It snows a lot here, starting in October. I think I'd find a way to hurt myself. Got an estimate today: $1010. I have to get if fixed by the 16th and provide proof to the police dept. Working on financing. My friends say I should keep the car because of my crazy schedule.
      Last edited by Food Lady; 09-02-2015, 11:36 PM.

Comment

$1,010 sounds a bit excessive to me...unless they're replacing everything from the header(s) on back with stainless bits. I'd take the car to another shop and get a second estimate.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

That is the second. The first was nearly $1400. It's broken in 3 places and they are replacing all that. Update: a friend said he thinks it's high, too. He's going to work on getting me a lower quote somehow tomorrow. If he can't, I can go to one of the places I've consulted, I guess. I can scrape up the money but I don't know how rent is going to get paid.
          Last edited by Food Lady; 09-03-2015, 04:38 AM.

Comment

I'm actually not surprised since it's rust belt that they want to replace it all. Maybe find a shop that could spot weld new pieces of pipe in place if it's not too far gone? That may save half the price.
            But the paint on me is beginning to dry
            And it's not what I wanted to be
            The weight on me
            Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
              I'm actually not surprised since it's rust belt that they want to replace it all. Maybe find a shop that could spot weld new pieces of pipe in place if it's not too far gone? That may save half the price.
              That's what I had done with my Saturn when the flexpipe had a hole in it. It was at least a 50% savings over having everything replaced.

Your best bet for this is an independent shop; the Goodyear/Firestone places and dealers will want to replace the whole thing so they can get that big bill.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
                Maybe find a shop that could spot weld new pieces of pipe in place if it's not too far gone? That may save half the price.
                Some independent shops will do that. But, it depends on how bad the system is. One or two holes shouldn't be a problem--they can cut out and either weld in some new sections or patches. If the system is truly trashed though, you could easily spend more than replacing it.

Another thing to think about--what is the current system made of? Curious, because stainless steel, which lasts a long time...is a bitch to weld. Locally, many smaller shops won't touch the stuff.

BTW, a cheap repair could be done with one of the epoxy or "bandage" products available from Autozone or similar stores.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Update: my stepdad is giving me some money outright to cover the gap. The new plan is to get another car with the help of a friend who is like a big brother to me. I am going to scrap mine and add it to the car fund.

Comment

Working...
                  X