Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CS denizens, I urgently need your help. (Animal/Shelter/Law people esp. Useful)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS denizens, I urgently need your help. (Animal/Shelter/Law people esp. Useful)

Yesterday evening, the two owners of the shelter where I got two of my cats dropped by for no reason. Because there were two (yes, two) pizza boxes by the door that hadn't been taken out to recycling yet, they claimed I clearly was incapable of maintaining a safe environment for my cats, and they took them away

When I tried to stop them, they threatened to call Environmental Health, tell them I lived in filth (lies) and get my other kitties taken away too. Since one of my kitties is, to put it bluntly, pretty seriously retarded and very clingy, I couldn't risk this - I think he would literally pine away and die without me.

I don't know what to do. I tried calling, but they won't answer. I NEED my cats back. It isn't an exaggeration to say that I honestly think I would die without them (and, given my history of severe mental illness, that could end up a real possibility.) Help me, CS. I don't know what to do
    "Asking an Irish girl to tone it down a notch is about the same as asking a wolf to leave the sheep alone. Good luck with that. " - Jester, about me

First I would file a police report that they took your cats with out permission. Actually I would have called the police first that they after threatening to take your cats because of two pizza boxes.

Next I would sue the hell out of them. Speak to a lawyer and see what your options are.
    "Beam me up Scotty there is no intelligent life down here."

Comment

I've never heard of shelter owners stopping by. And unless you signed something I would consider it a trespass and contact the police accordingly.

Comment

Quoth Pimento View Post
        I've never heard of shelter owners stopping by. And unless you signed something I would consider it a trespass and contact the police accordingly.
        Pretty much this.

Contact the police now. Go. Faster. Also make note of the two pizza boxes and make it clear that you were not living in filth.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Police, lawyer, MASSIVE lawsuit. These people are supposed to PROTECT animals, not to stress them by taking them from their loving homes.

I have heard of shelter people coming to homes to check the living conditions, to make sure the kitties haven't been adopted by people who aren't taking care of them, but this is the first time I've heard of them taking kitties away because of two pizza boxes.

My suggestion is, call the police, tell them exactly what happened, then pay them a visit with the cops. And, if possible, your lawyer.

Comment

Also. Date and time stamped pictures of your place ASAP wouldn't hurt at all. But who knows what can be considered unfit for the cats. Heck they might even have some number of animals they deem fit in a house .etc. I would make sure to get as much info as possible from them at the same time to help build a case

Comment

Agree with the above. That's completely unacceptable. Keep us updated, sweetie.
              Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

I'm still boggled by this. Firstly, is this even in the US? I can't honestly believe that if it is any shelter would have the authority to do this. I know that there are some private rescue shelters and groups that do claim to have the right to see the home and make sure that the animals are doing well. But I've never, ever heard of them strong arming the animals away due to two empty pizza boxes.

I'm definitely going for file a police report. I can't help but feel there's more to this than what's going on (and bear in mind I'm not accusing you of anything). It's just mind boggling. Especially seeing as DaDairyDruid is slowly coming around to looking at pictures of kitties since our Aiva passed away.
                Random conversation:
                Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

fma - The OP lives in Ireland, iirc
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                    I can't honestly believe that if it is any shelter would have the authority to do this.
                    I sincerely doubt they do - which is why they resorted to emotional blackmail.

So sorry Marlowe, I hope this works out.

Comment

I haven't read this in detail yet, but this document should be helpful:

http://www.ispca.ie/assets/legal.pdf

ETA: key quote from an early page:

Members of the public are often unsure as to whether an act which they might consider to be cruel is also viewed as cruel under
                      the law. The attitude of the law is set forth in a variety of Acts the most important of which are The Protection of Animals Act,
                      1911, Vol. 49 1 & 2 Geo V. and the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act, 1965 No. These Acts cover “cruelty to animals” in
                      a general way. They have an application in most instances of cruelty.

Most of these provisions grant powers to the Gardai and Local Authorities to prevent cruelty. As will be demonstrated, it is only on
                      a very rare occasion that a member of the public is entitled to take matters into his or her own hands. Unauthorised action by
                      individuals can result in expensive litigation which the individual will have to discharge personally.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        fma - The OP lives in Ireland, iirc
                        Okay, thanks. I hope you get them back Matlowe. This is just wrong on so many levels.
                        Random conversation:
                        Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                        DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Did they have ID, or did you recognize them from the shelter? I have never heard of an animal shelter going to someone's house and taking back their animals. Agree 100% with the police call.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Normally I'm all for unholy vengeance, but no matter how furious and hurt you are, please don't sue them. Not for their sakes...they're sorry wastes of skin and they wronged you horribly...but for the sake of the animals under their care who might suffer or be put down if the funds go into paying a suit instead of caring for them.
                            "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                            - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
                              Normally I'm all for unholy vengeance, but no matter how furious and hurt you are, please don't sue them. Not for their sakes...they're sorry wastes of skin and they wronged you horribly...but for the sake of the animals under their care who might suffer or be put down if the funds go into paying a suit instead of caring for them.

If they're the kind of people who take away people's pets on a whim, forgive me for wanting to kick their asses and/or question their suitability to care for animals. More to the point, who knows who those animals belong to? There was a case in Oregon my friend told me about where the shelter was repossessing pets on flimsy pretexts to get the "rehoming fee" they charged more than once, in some case several times. In the class suit, one dog was represented by FIVE owners. I refuse to let them get away with it just because it *might* affect their money reserves.

Also I have no intention of suing them for money. I'm dirt poor, but money doesn't matter. All I want is my cats back. They're like my children. Give me my cats back, I back off.

(And, shelters here aren't like US ones. They don't kill animals because they can't find homes for them.)

I haven't got the police involved yet because I'm still trying to resolve it through negotiation - I know that the second I start getting law enforcement, that channel is closed for good. If they don't respond to that, the police are next.

Good for my side - I did my art degree at a college that also happens to run the best, most exclusive law programme in the UK. I have a whole cluster of high-end, 6-figure-earning lawyer friends who will work for me pro bono.
                              "Asking an Irish girl to tone it down a notch is about the same as asking a wolf to leave the sheep alone. Good luck with that. " - Jester, about me

Comment

Working...
                              X