Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is beginning to trouble me greatly...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is beginning to trouble me greatly...

I am having some issues with how my job is run, but in the end, I'm here for about....5 more months.

I WANT TO quit and figure out if if I can get student loans to go back to school...but I need to pay rent. Would student loans take care of that? Can they? I look for work often, they always SAY "we're flexible! etc. etc. etc" But I know that's BS around here. Only reason I didn't run off to school in LA is I know that even student loans won't save my arse.

I messed up in high school (Barely graduated, yay procrastination) but I want to fix that. It's always been a dream of mine to interpret or work with international companies/tourism. I want to leave the states, and I want to work HARD for it.

But...School or roof over my head? During last summer T was taking care of me while I worked and helped, but I can't ask him to that this time. We're roommates with others now, but I can't ask them to pick up the extra rent so I can go to school (I would never consider it, but I know people who did)

I'm 22, Still a young one by many standards, but I feel for myself and my goals, its almost too late. I'm lucky I just taught myself the languages I use, but I want to be taken seriously.

So, end of rambling...would student loans pay for rent as well as classes? I can save up for about 2-3 months worth but since I want summer classes, getting a summer job isn't likely. I'll still be on the lookout for "flexible" jobs, but I need to go to school. I need to get that degree and do myself proud. It may seem so little thing to worry about, but I can't sleep at night...

(I don't qualify for financial aid...I dunno why. While living with mother we were wayyy below poverty but...it is what it is)

It depends on how much you get and how much your classes are.

Comment

Quoth violiavampyr View Post
      It depends on how much you get and how much your classes are.
      Classes won't be toooo bad at city college, but the moment I transfer. Ho-snap. And I'll transfer in about a year.

Comment

In general, no. While there is some flexibility between your expected SCHOOL costs and what you qualify for, off campus housing is rarely considered. There are places where you can get loans based on dorm room and board cost, but I haven't looked around at colleges in a while.
        Whatever route you take, please be VERY careful. Student loan debt is sky high and inescapable. If you can go to school, work, go back to school, work and get done in a reasonable time, you should. Research grants and ALL costs as intensively as possible. Good luck!

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
          In general, no. While there is some flexibility between your expected SCHOOL costs and what you qualify for, off campus housing is rarely considered. There are places where you can get loans based on dorm room and board cost, but I haven't looked around at colleges in a while.
          Whatever route you take, please be VERY careful. Student loan debt is sky high and inescapable. If you can go to school, work, go back to school, work and get done in a reasonable time, you should. Research grants and ALL costs as intensively as possible. Good luck!
          I was afraid of that...

Thank you...but going in and out won't cut it for me anymore...not for my upcoming goals. (There is some secret good news but its hush hush for now)

I need to be with a degree or transferring to a college in the country I am moving to in 3-4 years...that's vital. If I have to, I can wait 5-6....but that's pushing it.

Comment

I have a friend who quit working and went back to school at 40. His university has on-campus housing for graduate and "non-traditional" undergrads. Perhaps you can find one with a similar setup.
            Random Doctor Who quote:
            "I'm sorry about your coccyx, too, Miss Grant."

I has a gallery: deviantART gallery.
            I also has a "funny" blog: Aqu Improves Her Craft

Comment

I don't see any reason you can't get financial aid and still find a job that's flexible enough. Just get the job first, work your buns off, doing everything they want for the hours they want you there, for 6 months and then announce your intention to return to school. Once you've proved yourself as a good worker, they're more likely to be willing to work with you on hours.

It worked for me and is working for my kids

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                I don't see any reason you can't get financial aid and still find a job that's flexible enough.
                I'm not eligible for financial aid. :< I keep trying, but I have never been approved.

Comment

I realize it's never too late for a lot of people.

But its imperative that I have a four year degree to get a visa to stay where I'm going for the work I want to do. And the older I am, the less likely I am to be hired.
                  I'm just lucky I had international relations/experiences already, but I gotta put my nose to the grind.

And I don't want to wait. I messed up for four years, that's too much on me.

I came to this conclusion today.

I'm probably going to cash in on a few favors, and couch surf come January/Feb

School is more important. Getting out of here, is most important, and to do that, I need school.

There is more details, but due to just in case, I can't say aloud. I have to be out of America. Before I'm 28.

I also got a job opportunity and connections with a produce-related company abroad as an interpreter, but I need to finish school first.

Sorry if I'm seeming rude, I just did a lot of thinking, and talked to a close friend....or two.

I'm still going to talk to banks for the paying of school though. I don't have a credit card, so....we'll see how that goes.

I think I may have to go back to waitressing for any chance of flexibility (Something I did NOT want to do.)
                  Getting a car by October for the first time, so hopefully things will go up.

Comment

Quoth Fudgethatkay View Post
                    Sorry if I'm seeming rude, I just did a lot of thinking...
                    Haven't seen anything that could be construed as rude. Don't forget though, that the replies you've gotten so far are based on the info you've given in this forum, so may not match the whole picture.

Quoth Fudgethatkay View Post
                    I'm probably going to cash in on a few favors, and couch surf come January/Feb
                    Good idea. Since you have this sense of urgency, cutting costs to the bare bones is certainly a big step in the right direction. Not sure how a car fits into that, unless it increases your flexibility for jobs?

Have you looked through the Department of Education's site? You might also look into programs originating in the country you plan to move to.

And another suggestion - have the financial aid officer of whatever school you are considering look into why you aren't qualifying. They may find a 't' you haven't crossed or an 'i' you haven't dotted.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                      Haven't seen anything that could be construed as rude. Don't forget though, that the replies you've gotten so far are based on the info you've given in this forum, so may not match the whole picture.

Good idea. Since you have this sense of urgency, cutting costs to the bare bones is certainly a big step in the right direction. Not sure how a car fits into that, unless it increases your flexibility for jobs?

And another suggestion - have the financial aid officer of whatever school you are considering look into why you aren't qualifying. They may find a 't' you haven't crossed or an 'i' you haven't dotted.
                      Car is from Dad. If I'm working, he'll help towards a car. I don't need a new one, I just need it decently working. I've been using public transportation for my current job but the more flexible ones are too out of way. (Public buses in the city are some of the lowest rated)

I found I don't qualify because of him. My parents are divorced, I grew up with a custody agreement that let me spend equal time with my mother as my main guardian, but she is under poverty, dad is a bit too above for the qualifications for student aid. (I think the system assumes parents easily would pay for it if they had money but my father was no-nonsense on that). I'm trying to reapply as an independent but it seems my past marks as a student are (maybe rightfully so) coming back to bite me in the arse, which I'm talking through my advisors currently. The city college has a program where if you're attending, can't get financial aid, if you show significant proof that you cannot afford the classes normally, they're only 18 dollars.

The university I'm transferring to...not so lucky.

I have to be out soon because the job offer abroad is limited. They won't be too keen waiting on ten years, waiting for four to-six was hard enough to get through. Sure there may be other opportunities later, but I wanted *this* Job from childhood. Its my dream job. Decent pay, for here and there standards.

Comment

For whatever reason, student aid pulls from your parents income until you are 25. If they wont pay, then it's tough tooties. Give it a couple of years and you'll qualify for finical aid.
                        "I try to take reality one day at time, but sometimes several days attack me at once."

Comment

Another option is a dependency override from the school where you will be transferring, if you transfer before your 25th birthday (I thought it was 24, but it's been a while since I taught at the college level, so I could be wrong). The overrides are very hard to get, but it can be done.

Failing that, you could take one or two classes a term until you do reach the cut-off age for using your own finances instead of your parents', and then once you're able to get aid on your own, buckle down and take an overload of classes every term, including summer in order to finish by your deadline.
                          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Rosakala View Post
                            For whatever reason, student aid pulls from your parents income until you are 25. If they wont pay, then it's tough tooties. Give it a couple of years and you'll qualify for finical aid.
                            I never really got that one. I was denied loans for that very reason when I was 20. At the time, I was advised to either wait... or get married. And since I was working on the later anyway, we just went the "get married" route. Of course, your mileage may vary on that one .
                            But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                            And it's not what I wanted to be
                            The weight on me
                            Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Hmmmm...that's what I thought about the student income.

I also want to see if a few scholarships are laying around, any little bit helps.

Dad heavily encouraged not to take student loans, and I can't blame him, but if I have to, I'd rather put myself into debt and be educated enough to get a job to pay it off rather than live day by day knowing I could be better.

See, I'm NOT stupid. Sure my math skills leave something to be desired, but I taught myself Japanese, and teaching myself ASL and can use Korean conversationally. (I took Mandarin in high school and trying to find sources to teach myself Gaelic)
                              I know what I always wanted to be and I knew I wasn't meant to stay here since before I started Kindergarten. If I can pay off my debt from abroad, I'm just fine with that.

It's just that all the jobs that I want, that take an interest in me, gave me a time limit for my education. I also procrastinated enough for myself, and I messed up enough that I chagrin everytime I think about it and look in the mirror. I'm talking to the city and state college, and I know my town's university has a program I can transfer abroad if needed.

If I have to couch surf, and degrade my living, that's fine. I need to stop worrying.

Comment

Working...
                              X