This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did everyone have a good holiday?

To be honest, I don't celebrate Thanksgiving myself, for my own reasons. But I've no doubt that the rest of you do. At least, the rest of you in the United States, and the Americans living abroad.

So, all I'm really asking here is did everyone have a good holiday?
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

My fiance and I are celebrating Thanksgiving on Saturday, but we had a nice Thursday. I made bean soup for dinner and we watched Happiest Season on Hulu. I laughed and cried. It's a lesbian Christmas movie with an excellent cast. What more could you want?
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

First time having Thanksgiving at home for about 25 years. Usually, we go to the In-Laws'. The Wife and I were trying to talk them out of it. I needed to have a medical procedure* done, and the first available date was 11/25/20. So I took it. "I need to stay home and recuperate" ended that argument. Had a quiet day at home. Dinner included ham, green bean casserole and home made pumpkin pie. Plenty to be thankful for.

* Cardiac Ablation to rid me of AFib. Everything went well.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I worked Thanksgiving but had a plate waiting for me. But add t least I'm off on Black Friday for a change.
        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

We had our first Thanksgiving at home, just the four of us. We'd never cooked a whole Thanksgiving meal by ourselves but it turned out really good! It's nice not having to drive hours and hours to visit people on our few days off. I'm trying to come up with an excuse to stay home next year.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I went to my parents' for dinner, so it was just us and the cat, and we talked to my brother on zoom for a little bit because he hadn't been feeling well all week so he didn't come. He was coughing some while we were talking which was a bit worrisome. He got a covid test Wednesday and got the results Friday; it was negative, thankfully, so I guess he just has a cold or maybe allergies. (He works from home full time these days and he's not being stupid otherwise, as far as I know, so his risk should be relatively low.)

I actually liked having just a tiny dinner. We usually go to my uncle's and there's a ton of food and sometimes 20+people and as much as I love my family I'm always so tired by the end of it. (My mom just did a turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes, peas, cranberry sauce, and rolls; she got an apple pie for dessert and I brought ice cream. I brought home some leftovers and half the pie and they kept the ice cream.) Also didn't miss the hour drive to get to my uncle's (or the maze of streets that is their gated community). We ate in the living room where we could be further apart, and watched Jeopardy, and I didn't need a nap after dinner.

I expect Christmas to be much the same. We're not really doing gifts (my mom suggested donations with the money we would have spent instead, which is fine by me; there are only a few other people I buy gifts for and they're never anything big). I went to my parents' yesterday to pick up something I'd had shipped there and helped my dad bring the Christmas decorations down from the attic while I was there. I don't usually do much decorating at home but I think I still have a sheet of those gel window stickers in the closet so I'll put them up somewhere, and I have a Santa thing that my mom made to hang on the door.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Ordinarily, my family gets together on Black Friday for Thanksgiving dinner. We started doing that due to my work schedule at my IT job (Sun-Thu 2pm-1030pm) and it made it easier for Sis and her hubby. They could go to his family for Thanksgiving with them, then come to us the day after. As my work schedule changed, it still worked out pretty well.

Didn't happen this year. Since Mom's immuno-compromised (diabetic amputee) and Sis is pregnant, we felt it safest not to do Thanksgiving this year. And then Nephew was exposed to Covid at preschool (one of his teachers tested positive, so all the kiddos' parents were informed and all the kids are in quarantine at home for two weeks-- Nephew and everyone at home has so far tested negative, but taking no chances!) so it became even more important to be cautious.

Mom and Dad still had me over on BF for dinner. Masks on at all times etc.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Note to brain: Please check abbreviations. I didn't realize at first BF was Black Friday and thought you were using BF--boyfriend. Gave me an entirely different picture of dinner at the Winger household....
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I did what I always do during Black Friday. I stayed home and avoided the crowds.
                  This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

I went to my moms for Thanksgiving. Had an very fun time, and very good conversation. Just wish the rest of my loved ones would have shown up.
                    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                      Gave me an entirely different picture of dinner at the Winger household....
                      What happens in the Winger household, stays in the Winger household.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Isn't that the Mississippi motto? What happens in our family stays in our family
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Yer thinking of Alabama (baaaaah!)
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

And parts of Kentucky.
                            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                            Save the Ales!
                            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

And West Virginia.

Comment

Working...
                              X