This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It finally happened

I had a sucktomer actually call me a liar for no reason. Dude called in to make a payment and coworker got the call. She asked for the verfying information and he wouldn't give it to her, telling her she didn't need it. There was actually a discussion in messaging about that when the supervisor came back to his desk and was wanting to know what was going on. We had to pull up the policy and it turns out it depends on whether the person paying is employed by the account holder or is part of a third party accounts payable firm. At any rate, I didn't know. He hung up on her and called back and got me.

He wanted to make a payment but didn't tell me what company it was for, his name, nor the account number. He had an invoice number. As far as I knew that wouldn't be enough. I guess it is in some circumstances, but I didn't know at the time. He immediately wanted a supervisor like he had on the previous call. Now, it's been literal years since someone wanted a sup on one of my calls. I normally don't even take customer service calls but a typhoon happened, so here we are. As far as I knew, a sup would not take a call unless the caller is verified. That was point blank told to me when I had been in customer service. I've been in collections for 2 years and we don't have to go through all that verifying stuff and no one ever gets to talk to my sup because I have the last say, so this was the last I remembered in regard to sup calls. I told him I needed the account number and he needed to be verified or they wouldn't take it.

In the process of arguing with me, he called me dishonest/a liar 3 or 4 times, saying that we don't need to verify people and that my employee ID was a lie because the letters aren't my initials. They never have been, for 4 years, I said. (I have seen some older IDs include people's initials, but they started like 15 years before I did.) He said I was a bad employee for not serving him and that I was refusing to take the call. While I was on the call. That I had taken. I said that no, I was refusing to break security policy and refusing to give information to someone not verified. I was following the policy laid out for me.

Literally told him twice that I rejected his assessment of my character as dishonest. Those exact words: "rejecting your assessment.." And that I had walked off a job because I refused to lie when asked. Unprofessional response? Definitely. Would I do it again? Yes. I don't tolerate that in particular. I'm honest to "a fault"--though that saying is fallacious. There's really not fault in being honest. The one thing I did that I'm not happy about was talking over him a couple of times which he pointed out and I did apologize for.

At some point Boss Man said yes, give him his number, but he was on a call so it would go to voicemail. Sucktomer said I'd give a fake number, like I'm afraid to have someone complain about me. I'm a collector. I don't care if people complain about me. Lots of them love me, though. I offered to let him put me on hold while he called Boss Man to make sure it was the right number and he did, getting voicemail and complaining to me about that. I guess he didn't hear me say that BM was on the phone, though I did. He also complained that I had to ask if my boss was reachable through the same number as me with a different extension or if there were a different line for him. I mean, we're a business with lots of departments. My trying to clarify the best route to get you to someone isn't dishonesty. It's called being correct.
    We waited for Sup to get off the phone and at least sucktomer said "I'm not trying to be rude...." I re-iterated that this sup would take the call when he was off the phone and that I did think this customer should be able to voice his frustration. Despite his assasinating my character, I 100% meant that. Even if he was in the wrong, I'm not against him having his say because it gives my boss a chance to make it better. I was in the middle of saying that Boss Man was just off the phone call he'd been on when my call dropped. Well, he has the sup's number.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

That sounds so frustrating. I couldn't have handled that.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

This is one reason, out of several, as to why I couldn't do any form of customer service over the phone, because I don't like someone calling me a liar. People seem to be more brave when they're not seeing others face to face and start acting more foolish. It's not hard to verify the information, don't know why some don't like doing it.
      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Since I try to always provide polite customer service, it can be hard to guess my actual mood.
        If you ever hear me say, "And I want to thank you for calling me a liar, ..." I am definitely pissed off.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          ...sucktomer said "I'm not trying to be rude...."
          "Of course not. You come by it naturally."
          "Yes, you are trying. You are very trying!"

Or there's always that quote by Dumbledore: “Yet, sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often. Best to say nothing at all, my dear man.”
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

"not trying to be rude"??? Well I guess you're a natural asshole because without even trying you are pulling it off exceptionally
            D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
            Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              at least sucktomer said "I'm not trying to be rude...."
              No, you're not trying. You're succeeding. Good job.
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
              X