This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just heard on the radio

I was listening to the radio at work when I heard the morning crew talking about when they were shopping and saw adults throwing tantrums, this particular story I just had to share.

Apparently while the female radio host was waiting to book into a plane there was a businessman at the front of the line berating the check-in lady because his flight had been cancelled and how dare they cancel his flight, didn't they know who he was and how important it was for him to be there. The kicker is what he said next

"How can you cancel a flight because of a cyclone (or hurricane, whichever you understand)!!!"

I couldn't help but laugh at how dumb this guy was and that he was upset that the company was not risking it plane, it pilots and cabin crew to get him to a place that was being battered by a cyclone.
    Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Wow, what a moron.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I've seen Airline. I feel for airport checkin staff. I really do.

Comment

That makes me think of Meryl Streep's character in The Devil Wears Prada. I think she threatened to fire her assistant because she was unable to book a flight due to a hurricane.
        The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

What a dumbass.
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
            What a dumbass.
            A dumbass with a death wish, more accurately.

Sure, he could have still flown . . . using a glider, hot air balloon or an artificial pair of wings. Then he could have found out the hard way.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I'm a travel agent.

In an after-hours, emergency call center.

Remember all the tornadic activity the midwest was having last month?

Yeah, that weekend I took a grand total of 155 phone calls (by myself) when my average is less than 100.

Of that 155 phone calls, at least 1/3 were calling to bitch about their flights being delayed and/or canceled in or via Chicago (O'Hare and Midway).

I asked my boss if we could change our outbound message to say:

"Yes, Chicago flights have been delayed/canceled due to tornadic activity. No, they cannot take off in a tornado."

He declined.

Seriously, when a blizzard hits, people seem to at least understand why planes are canceled. When its tornados/hurricanes/high winds/severe storms, they FLIP OUT, some of them going so far as to call me a liar when I advise them.
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Forensic Waitress View Post
                I was listening to the radio at work when I heard the morning crew talking about when they were shopping and saw adults throwing tantrums
                wow, the morning crew on the station I'm sometimes forced to listen to would probably throw tantrums. They're big believers in "the customer is always right", their stories include "this kid at the convenience store pulled out a toy gun and the clerk told him off, how bad is that! The customer is always right, if some kid wants to wave a gun around he should be allowed to." That day I almost called them up and demanded they play the South Park soundtrack, then when they refused I'd have told them that I'm their customer and they just said I'm always right and if I want to hear a song about incestual anal sex (Uncle F***er) I should be allowed to.

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                  Seriously, when a blizzard hits, people seem to at least understand why planes are canceled. When its tornados/hurricanes/high winds/severe storms, they FLIP OUT, some of them going so far as to call me a liar when I advise them.
                  Well, of course. The weather isn't bad where THEY are, so there's no conceivable reason NOT to fly. You're just being lazy.
                  What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

I guess the next time someone flips out over delays or cancellations due to a tornado, you could "inform" them that there will be a layover in the Land of Oz.
                    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
                      I guess the next time someone flips out over delays or cancellations due to a tornado, you could "inform" them that there will be a layover in the Land of Oz.

Don't give me any ideas.
                      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I've been told that I'm good for giving bad ideas. Wouldn't know anything about that......

Comment

Oh! Does that mean I can threaten to send the flying monkeys after them? I have people call me from the airport - actually standing in front of the gate agent - calling me expecting me to convince the gate agent to let the flight depart - wtf?!

Once, I was at LAX for an evening departure - no take off due to an electrical storm = no end of b*tching, that is until giant bolts hit the tarmac and everyone was "no worries, we'll wait".

Comment

Make sure you bring Toto and a picnic lunch basket and your bright red ruby slippers!!! Because you certainly will not be arriving at your destination intact. /sarcasm

What part of TOR-NA-DO do people not understand. If anyone has ever been around a tornado they know, you don't screw around with them. If you're like me and threaded the needle between 2 tornadoes on either side of the highway you understand the power and damage that happens, just being near ( 5-6 miles away from each of these) tornadoes. Trying to fly a jet through turbulence like that would destroy the jet or cause it cease flying due to damage or turbulence. And detouring 20-50 miles out of the presumed path of the tornadoes/hurricanes/cyclones doesn't always work. Weather can change on a dime.

I've been through a force 3 cyclone, I've been through a force 2 hurricane. I've threaded the needle between 1 force 5 tornado and one force 4 tornado. Never underestimate the power of Mother Nature.

For those who are still intent on getting a flight through a hurricane...I believe NOAA has a jet that flies straight through the eye of the storm, recording storm wall wind velocities etc. They might be able to get you on that plane but it's gonna be worse than the Vomit Comet. You'll likely end up blowing chunks before you get halfway to the eye of the storm. And likely end up blowing chunks before you get all the way out too. I hear the turbulence is so bad that you have to have a 5-point seat harness

NOAA doesn't offer the same great service for tornadoes. They have much better sense than that.
                            You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take,and statistically speaking, 99% of the shots you do take.

Pirates Vs. Ninjas. Which would you choose? http://s1.darkpirates.com/c.php?uid=40174

Comment

Working...
                            X