This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new job, here goes nothing.

So, I just got a job lifeguarding for a pair of indoor pools at the local (Name of well known non-profit organization). I've been in training for two weeks, but Friday, I finally got my first day of paid work. It's been... well... interesting:

The spawn, dear god the spawn!

So about two hours into my first shift lifeguarding, guess who shows up? The non-profit's summer camp children! Joy! Instead of getting my nice, cushy break, I get to watch these little snots hold each other under the water and play odd games, speaking of which:

You'd Have to be Pretty Damn Bored.

OK, so during the camp's swim time, I see a little kid on the bottom with his arms up above his head, resting on the surface of the water, with his face down in the position lifeguards are trained to know as: 'oh, shit, unconscious.' I was pulling out my whistle to signal to the other guard I was going in for him when I hear one of the camp councilors call out a name, which I assume was his because he straightened up, and pulled his nose out of the water. She proceeded to state, and I quote:

"I though we just told you we weren't going to play that game this year..." She continued on, but, wait, what?

Lady, I remember games, and I remember water games, and I do not remember any with a title resembling 'Screw the lifeguard,' nor any in which the object was to get spine boarded. I just can't see how this could possibly be a game.

Then again, I suppose with the declining state of the educational system, and video games that tell children exactly what to do to win, I suppose it isn't surprising they'd have trouble remembering a complex incantation such as "Red Rover, Red Rover, Send Billy on over!" on their own. I suppose I should simply count my blessings they didn't try to play "Marco, Polo," as it would have resulted in me having to go in after the kid who forgot to surface before trying to send out his portion of the acoustic ritual.

Special Needs Saturday.

Look, I don't mind helping out a few people with special needs, but the sudden onset of them on Saturday was enough to make my head spin. How can there be none of them all week, none Saturday, all day, and then they all suddenly appear, as if by magic, at 4, and are gone by 6. Was there some kind of organization behind it? If so, would you mind spreading it out across the week? I love the people you send me, but it's rather hard to help the kid in a wheelchair down the ramp to our therapy pool while simultaneously figuring out how to help the man with both turrets and a speech impediment. Again, I love them both, but it's annoying to handle both at once.

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

Here's the situation, you're in a five foot deep pool that's meant for therapeutic use. You are surrounded by low, under the surface walls, ballet beams, soccer moms doing aerobics with special pool weights, and small children having their first swim lessons. You have decided doing laps of the backstroke is a good idea. When I come and explain to you that it is against the rules, you get smart with me, and tell me that you've been doing it for a year and nobody has ever stopped you before.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

I'm guarding a water aerobics class this afternoon at said therapeutic pool, when I notice at least three of the people involved are wearing street shoes in our pool. The instructor is one of them.

But... Why... How... Who... God. Just Eww.

Thanks, I Was Wondering About That.

This one belongs in cursing out co-workers, but oh, well.

So, I walked in on Saturday Morning, and had to go to the therapeutic pool to guard. I relieved co-worker N. N is off-duty now, he can go take a shower and go home, and leave me to my fifteen minutes of sitting in a small room next to an 89 degree pool with air from outside being vented in to help cool the place down despite the fact that said outdoor air is currently approximately 94.

Instead, N decides to explain to me, in excruciating scientific detail I haven't heard since my ninth grade earth science teacher explained how 'The Day After Tomorrow' was impossible, how the smell, which he referred to as 'the nastiness,' coming off the pool was caused by patrons not showering. This took ten minutes.

Gee, thanks for that, N. That was truly a scientific conundrum equal in difficulty to my 12th grade physics final, which included questions such as 'Which of the Physics teachers would be the most fun to duct tape to a roof?' (I did not make that up. It was on the test.) I never would have figured out that the unwashed part of the term 'the unwashed masses' was what was causing said 'nastiness.'

I really hope they don't make them like they used to anymore.

I am fully aware that, as upper class housing goes, mine is relatively new at approximately 25-30 years old. However, I'd like to point out that in the hour since I got home from my shift, I've killed four spiders, all different colors ad sizes. I'm relatively certain that there is a great mother black widow, who is approximately my size, cuddled up in our nice, dark, damp hot water heater, as it has been groaning like a beast in labor for weeks now. I would be afraid of this, but on the off chance I have to do battle with this creature, my father has a hatchet and a miner's pick in the lower garage with the hot water heater, so I'm relatively certain I'll be able to do at least 1d6 lethal damage. Hopefully the -4 penalty for using a ranged weapon in melee, or a non-weapon for battle won't literally kill me.

Hopefully I won't have much more to tell you later.
    "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Oh, I almost forgot the good part:

Almost all of Saturday's shift, the same two families were in the therapy pool. Both families were the same story: Mommy was in doing water aerobics, and Daddy was somehow managing to juggle four kids, and consistently doing a good job, being a fun parent, with only minimal rule bendage, and keeping his children in line. I was amazed how cool the dads were, and when the moms were taking breaks from their workouts, they were equally awesome.
    "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

When I come and explain to you that it is against the rules, you get smart with me, and tell me that you've been doing it for a year and nobody has ever stopped you before.
      Do you tell that to the police officer when he pulls you over for speeding?

You killed spiders! Shame! They eat mosquitoes!
      *There is no greater gift than to be reborn with every heartbeat*
      *Grudges should only be held for as long as it takes to deliver a proper vengence!*

Comment

Special Needs Saturday.

Look, I don't mind helping out a few people with special needs, but the sudden onset of them on Saturday was enough to make my head spin. How can there be none of them all week, none Saturday, all day, and then they all suddenly appear, as if by magic, at 4, and are gone by 6. Was there some kind of organization behind it? If so, would you mind spreading it out across the week? I love the people you send me, but it's rather hard to help the kid in a wheelchair down the ramp to our therapy pool while simultaneously figuring out how to help the man with both turrets and a speech impediment. Again, I love them both, but it's annoying to handle both at once.

We get this at the community center i work at, and yes it is organised. For us they're all from the same home/care facility and they bring them in to use the facility at the same time every week.
        Losing faith in humanity, one customer at a time

Comment

Quoth Leopardmadcat View Post
          You killed spiders! Shame! They eat mosquitoes!
          And some kill humans.
          Such as the unholy thing in the aforementioned water heater.
          "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Be careful when doing battle with the Black Widow Queen. It might be simpler to just start worshipping Lolth and call it good. Then again, that could turn out worse... Just kill the damned thing and hope for the best.
            Expect great things, but you'll get what you get.

PossJB

Comment

I have a feeling I know what non-profit organization you work for. I take my hat off to you because I know to little spawns that attend such a place and they are hell on wheels when they are together. The people who work there have to have the patience of a saint. I commend you!!!!
              "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Many Many Many moons ago I took a water areobics class.
                A few members had street shoes they used only for class. . . it added resistance, weight, andprotected their feet from pool bottom etc.
                If they are only used for use at and around the pool I don't see it as gross. If however it is the shoes they wore in from outside then yes it is gross.

I also from a whole bunch more moons ago remember a pool game that involved the dead man's float. I don't remember all of the game. There was one version where we were timed to see who could last longest and another kind of a marco polo version I think.

Comment

Children screaming, chlorine water, lots of people making the water hot and slick from sweat and sunblock. Fights over the diving board/alligater pool float/flippers. The sunbathers in their skimpy bikinis and speedos. The lap-runners in their goggles. Tourists and Residents ignorant to the rules posted in BIG BLOCK LETTERS on every wall. Oh, how I miss thee....not. Shards, mate, you've taken on a job I avoid as much as possible during the summer months. Have fun.

Quoth Shards View Post
                  So, I just got a job lifeguarding for a pair of indoor pools at the local (Name of well known non-profit organization).
                  Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                  I have a feeling I know what non-profit organization you work for.
                  Does this mean we can sing now?
                  Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

You killed a spider??? For shame! Spiders are your friends (barring the few with poison strong enough to be lethal to humans).

I always let the spiders live in the ceiling corners, screen windows, and anywhere out of the way of human traffic they like. By mid-July, my apartment is bug free, barring the occasional giant wasp. And it stays bug free right up through autumn. I've thought about bringing in bugs to feed the spiders earlier in the year so I can be bug-free through all of June, too.

And after 16 years of living with them I've only been bitten by a spider once.
                    Granted the bite took 9 months to heal up properly, but that is a different issue. Really.

Comment

Having suffered for six weeks after a black widow bite, it's kill on sight.

However, I do tend to leave some of the others alone for the bug eating. Some, not a lot.
                      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                      HR believes the first person in the door
                      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                      Document everything
                      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

YAY! another lifeguard. Someone who knows my hell.

And I have seen that game before. Some kids in lessons like to jump in and then come in in the unconscious/spinal injury position, or hang out at the bottom of the pool JUST too long and make you freak, coming up and laughing there heads off. Until I yell at them.

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                          I always let the spiders live in the ceiling corners, screen windows, and anywhere out of the way of human traffic they like.
                          but the moment they get in my way.....
                          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                          X