X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To be next, or not to be next

Karaoke time again!

Last night I had a ten person rotation - pretty slow. I'll call them A through J. So A sings, then B, then C, and after J we go back to A. This is simple. Until E sings.

E: How long until my next one?
    ME: I've got ten people on the list, so nine more.
    E: Well, move me up, I want to do another one.
    ME: Can't do it, you'll have to wait your turn.
    (As an aside, I can't believe I actually have to use the phrase wait your turn with adults)
    E: But I need to do another one before J sings, he always does my song.
    ME: His turn is coming up before your next one, there's nothing I can do about that.
    E: But I do it better! *bitch moan whine* Damn it, that's not fair. You always make me wait too long. *bitch moan whine* I sing better than all these people, I should get to sing my song!

Bartender: Daisy, J bought you a beer.
    J: Hey Daisy, I've gotta leave in a minute (puts a $5 in the tip jar)
    ME: Ok J, you're next hon.

E:
    Let it go... Daisy, let it go... Open up your fist
    This fallen world... Doesn't hold your interest...
    Doesn't hold your soul... Daisy, let it go
    -Switchfoot

Lol wow that's some job. But that person sounding obviously disrespectful even though SC's aren't expected to behave a certain way. I would say something like "I know you're anxious but I apologize, I can't do anything until you're turn is up." Sometimes the way you explain things to people could affect their behavior too.
    Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

Comment

Well yes and no. I mean, I could take the time and apologize for his anxiety, but really when I'm working, I'm working. I don't have time for much unless it's "I want to sing X and my name is Y." More often than not I've got a line of folks waiting to talk to me and this guy was just being an idiot.

I like the rules. Hell, I made the rules. So once you have a spot in the lineup, that's your spot. Unless of course you would like to buy us a drink or throw a little something in the tip jar.

Eventually they will learn that the tip jar rules all.

For example, an actual conversation from a few weeks ago:

Dude: How long until my turn.
      ME: I've got a long list, looks like about eight more before you.
      Dude: Damn. How far up would $20 move me?
      ME: *raises eyebrows* A lot.
      Last edited by Daisy; 10-03-2008, 02:20 PM.
      -Switchfoot

Comment

Oh man...

I used to do Kareoke every week for YEARS!!! The bar I did it at was a PIT!! Came home like I was in a 5x5 room with "Cancer man" from the X-files for a YEAR!! Yeah.. You get regulars who THINK they can sing, the people who have a SMALL amount of talent (and think that everyone wants to hear them 20times ina row because of it!!) and the DREGS of society!!!

We had a guy who quoted WWE EVERY damn time he went up to (badly) sing!! Methinks the guy was borderline retarded or in a group home. Always smelled slightly like pee..

Thennnn you get wise-asses like me.. Who get bored and like to step things up... Shoulda seen the first time I brought the exploding guitar onstage!!

Comment

Quoth Crazeyal View Post
          Came home like I was in a 5x5 room with "Cancer man" from the X-files for a YEAR!! Yeah.. You get regulars who THINK they can sing, the people who have a SMALL amount of talent (and think that everyone wants to hear them 20times ina row because of it!!) and the DREGS of society!!!
          Ah, so you know where I work!
          -Switchfoot

Comment

Working...
          X