This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anne McCaffrey has died

I loved her books. I've met so many people because of her original forum which eventually was closed and became several fan sites the main one being the one my late husband moderated on (as well as the original). My boyfriend now I came to know through those sites.

Link 1

Link 2
    As soon as I start thinking
    That I'm sensible and sane
    The Random Hedgehog comes along
    And fiddles with my Brain
    (from card I got)

I read her books when I was a kid, and my oldest son reads them now.

I hope the movie still goes well without her...
    http://collider.com/david-hayter-dra...of-pern/85654/

Comment

Drat. No more Pernography.

(Yes, I know Todd is carrying on the weirding ways.)
      Last edited by dalesys; 11-22-2011, 10:30 PM.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

NOOOOOOoooooooo.....

Comment

I can't really put it any better than Aethian has, so I'll simply leave you all with something from her own work, Menolly's Elegy for Petiron.

The tears I feel today
          I'll wait to shed tomorrow.
          Though I'll not sleep this night
          Nor find surcease from sorrow.
          My eyes must keep their sight;
          I dare not be tear-blinded.
          I must be free to talk
          Not choked with grief, clear-minded.
          My mouth cannot betray
          The anguish that I know.
          Yes, I'll keep my tears till later:
          But my grief will never go.
          "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
          - H. Beam Piper

Comment

I grew up with her books and came across many many editions via the cover art. The last i knew was that the movie kept getting post phoned, not sure why. I knew she had given the series to her son and was guiding him...but after that i lost track

of all the authors I ever loved hers was the first series

Comment

I loved her books growing up. After Masterharper I couldn't deal with the retconning so stopped reading them. One of my all time favorite books of hers was "The Ship that Searched"
              Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
              Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
              Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

Comment

This year has been cruel to awesome authors.
                By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

She was easily one of my favorite authors of all time. She will be missed.

I first discovered her back in high school (late 80's) with the original dual-trilogy, and I was hooked.
                  She had a gift for vivid descriptions of characters that I have never quite seen matched by any other -- When I picked up the art book (People of Pern, I think), I flipped thru the pages and stopped on one page and went O_O Holy Crap! That's Robinton!...Having never before seen any portrayal of him in any form other than text, McCaffrey's descriptions were just THAT vivid that the image in my mind tallied up exactly with his painting.

RIP, Madame.
                  Last edited by EricKei; 11-23-2011, 02:03 AM.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I read some of her books in middle school and high school and greatly enjoyed them. She has some pretty impressive accomplishments -- first author to hit the New York Times Best Sellers list for a Sci-Fi title, among others. She will be missed.

Comment

RIP Anne McCaffrey

Anne McCaffrey passes away at 85
                      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Working...
                      X