This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A+ for creepiness

Congrats. If your aim was to creep me out, SC, good job.
    I'll make this short because it still give me the shivers.
    So at gym. This old lady. She looks scary, too much plastic surgery. Boss tells me that there's a complaint of some litter in the female locker/bathroom, and asks me to go check since I was the only female working that day. I see lots of pamphlets strewn around, to join some *group*. I pick them up and see some even in the sauna room. I go in there to pick it up, and leave the door propped open becuase it damn hot in there. I'm just about to leave when SC stops me, in a tiny hand towel. I'll call her Samara.
    "I was just about to go in there! " She says angrily.
    sorry, I was just leaving, I say.
    "Now it's all cold!"She huffs.
    Cold? It's freaking hot in there! I step away from the crazy lady, but before I do, she grabs the door, freakishly fast, and slams it, nearly hitting me in the face. If my foot hadn't been there, I would definitely have a wound.
    I report it to my boss, who's says not to worry, he knows whom I'm talking about, and she has to loooonggggg history of being an ass. So I go about doing other things. Soon after, I need to use the bathroom and am just leaving the stall, when I hear Samara hissing like she does thru the phone:
    Iiiii knoooow wwhatttt yooooouuu diddddd backkkkk thereeeeee wasssss onnnnnn ppurppposssseeeee. yyyyyoooouuuu woonnnnntttt gggggeeeeetttt aawwwaaayyyyy wwwwwwiiiittthhhh iiiiiiiiittttttttt....
    Hello welcome to crazy ville! She's was fucking scary. I wrenched away (she had grabbed my arm) and ran to tell Boss. He said not to worry. But I was scared. I don't like horror movies, much less in RL horror.
    So nice job samara, creeping me out like that. Fun fact: she was the first female to make my neck hair stand straight up.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Yes worry! She needs to be fired as a customer before she hurts someone!

The fact that the boss puts up with her could possibly even lead to Hostile Workplace Environment complaints down the line, especially as it sounds like he has an established, long-term history of putting up with this shit. This reeks of catering to a customer who either comes there a LOT and spends plenty moolah, or one who "knows" somebody.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Fuck the "don't worry" bs. She touches you, you punch her in the face. THEN if your boss asks, say " don't worry"
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Four brothers

I grew up with four brothers who liked to play tricks on each other, the reflex to hit first ask questions second is normal for me and my brothers.

More than one person who got too grabby got surprised by my fast and unthinking response.

Comment

"Don't worry?"

Maybe it's time to show your boss the definition of "assault." Possibly followed by a description of the concept of an "unsafe work environment."

Comment

Quoth VComps View Post
            "Don't worry?"

Maybe it's time to show your boss the definition of "assault." Possibly followed by a description of the concept of an "unsafe work environment."
            This 100%!!!

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
              I grew up with four brothers who liked to play tricks on each other,
              I am reminded of this webcomic: http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2000-07-02

Comment

If you don't want to make a formal complaint, assert yourself.

First, practice. If you don't practice, you won't think of this when the actual incident happens. It won't matter if you don't practice what she actually does - practice will give you the habit of assertion.

So examples:

If she (or anyone) closes a door onto you, lift your hands defensively and prevent the door from injuring you. You might get bruises on the forearms, but better a bruised arm than a broken foot - or face.
                The position I'm thinking of is arms up, forearms parallel to the body, place the arms on the door to slow it enough to protect yourself.
                And in your assertive voice - another thing to practice - state something along the lines of "Don't slam the door on me."
                Do so loudly enough that heads turn. You WANT witnesses. You want it to be clear from your posture and your voice that you're the victim - and you want the bully to be aware from the reactions of other people that her behaviour is unacceptable.
                And if you do get damaged - or the bully does complain - you want witnesses for your own protection.

Yes, that is likely to annoy the bully. But bullies don't like to bully when there's an audience. Especially a disapproving one.

Note: always, in assertion, assume a defensive posture rather than an offensive one. This signals that you aren't a threat; but you also aren't a suitable target for bullying.
                Note 2: most assertion situations don't require a defensive posture; just ones where you are at risk of physical assault.

Example 2: you're grabbed. WHether or not the bully is speaking.
                Again, defensive stance with your free body parts. Again, assertion voice. This time, "Let go of me." Pretend to ignore anything the bully says (actually monitor it for signs that you're in further physical danger).
                If the bully doesn't let go, raise the volume while keeping the voice sounding calm. "Let. Go. Of. Me."
                Again, the exact words don't matter much - you just need words that signal that the bully has grabbed you and you don't want that.

If there are no available witnesses, use your safety technique not your assertion technique. Break free by any means possible (break their foot if you can), and RUN towards lights and people.

But with available witnesses, shame them. Make a scene. Make it a scene in which you are the calm, assertive, victim of a bully.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                X