X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to hit her with a rolled-up newspaper

So, this happened today:

Customer (imagine a whiney old lady voice): What's the address of the newspaper?
    Me: OK, are you mailing a bill, or did you need to come in--
    Customer (cuts me off): What do you care?!
    Me: Ma'am, the address you need depends on what you're doing. Are you paying your subscription, paying for an ad, or something else?
    Customer: Stop trying to guess what it is!!
    Me (commence eye-rolling): I can give you a post office box, or the street address, which one--
    Customer: I JUST WANT TO TELL THEM I'M MOVING!!! Stop asking me questions!
    Me: Wow, amazing. (yes, this came out of my mouth. Don't care). Ma'am, you don't need to write to us. You just need to speak to Circulation, they can help you.
    (gives number, then transfers quickly).

I later found out that she didn't know her new address, so Circ could only put a stop on her current address, they couldn't arrange a new start date for her. And when the Circ clerk asked "Is there anything else I can do for you today?" the customer yelled "Why would you ask that question?!"

Jeebus, lady, you are one crabby old bitch!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Yeah, let me yell at you when you're trying to help me. Because that always makes things better.

/sarcasm.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

What a sad, bitter woman she must be.

A simple, "I need to have my subscription address changed. Who should I speak with?" would have worked so efficiently rather than trying to act as if this was a power struggle to show she was in control of the conversation and thus should keep such "important, highly personal" information as a subscription change secret.
      Last edited by South Texan; 05-10-2016, 03:36 PM.
      "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
      .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Stop trying to guess what it is!!
        no.

is it a pony?
        Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
        Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

To the customer what they need is obvious. We should just understand. And we shouldn't inconvenience them with trivial things like accuracy.

In the time it takes for you to bitch about me asking clarifying questions I could have either answered it or directed you to the right place. Instead I'll go ahead and transfer you to a random place rather then fight you over where you need to go. Make it hard on me, I don't care.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            I later found out that she didn't know her new address, so Circ could only put a stop on her current address, they couldn't arrange a new start date for her.

Circulation should obviously have known her new address since the old woman can't be bothered to know it herself. What horrible customer service!

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Want to hit her with a rolled-up newspaper

Jeebus, lady, you are one crabby old bitch!
              Sorry. My brain is working slowly today.

That is a very funny and fitting title for this thread's setting and that last line.
              "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
              .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

ESP - I keep telling people I failed that class, but they keep not LISTENING TO ME!!

Idjits!

Comment

Well, our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read...

On the flip side, though, sometimes they do have minds...Oh, the horrors I've seen.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Whenever people ask me for my address, I make sure that after I give it to them I mentions that we're in the Walmart shopping center and give a couple of local adjacent businesses for reference. Of course, I get "I don't need that!" about 2/3 of the time.

Lady, I know that if I didn't give you landmarks I'd be getting another call from you with a "Where the *** are you? I can't see any addresses!!"
                    "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
                    -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Quoth AngryFaery View Post
                      In the time it takes for you to bitch about me asking clarifying questions I could have either answered it or directed you to the right place. Instead I'll go ahead and transfer you to a random place rather then fight you over where you need to go.
                      Customers like that clearly need to go to a small town in Michigan near Ann Arbor.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

This is kind of how one of my Memory Care clients acted on her better days (on her worse days she didn't know who I was, who her family members were, or where she was).

I'm wondering if OP's customer is starting to have mental / memory issues due to age or illness? Paranoia is a very common symptom, as is loss of manners. She may also be moving to some kind of assisted care and not happy about it.
                        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                          This is kind of how one of my Memory Care clients acted on her better days (on her worse days she didn't know who I was, who her family members were, or where she was).

I'm wondering if OP's customer is starting to have mental / memory issues due to age or illness? Paranoia is a very common symptom, as is loss of manners. She may also be moving to some kind of assisted care and not happy about it.
                          Certainly a possibility. Unfortunately, when someone bites my head off I have a little trouble dredging up empathy.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

If you do use a rolled-up newspaper on this SC, make sure you include the O-bitch-uary section.
                            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                              If you do use a rolled-up newspaper on this SC, make sure you include the O-bitch-uary section.
                              Oh sweet jesus I just snorted tomato soup through my nose.

Comment

Working...
                              X