Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently submitted several requests online for moving quotes. I provided all information they requested in the online forms, but I filled in my standard dummy phone number, 555-5555, because I want to handle this via EMAIL, and not on the phone. Hence the online quote requests. This is the first response I got back, and man, is it a doozy! (All punctuation, grammar, and spelling errors have been left intact. Names have been changed to protect the moronic.)

Hi ThatCrazyRedhead,
    I received some information regarding your move from <point A>. to <point B>? Please give me a call if your still interested in a quote. I will be here today till 3 pm and back in on Monday from 8:30 AM to 5 PM.

I hope to hear from you soon!

Thank :You

<Moving Company>

Jenny

Me: Not to be rude, but if I had wanted to call for a quote, I would have done that in the first place. Why do you even offer online quotes if you're just going to make people call?

Jenny: I tried to call you! But Unfortunately you put the wrong number down 555-5555 doesn't exist! so that's why I emailed you!!

Me: I don't want to do this over the phone. That's why I gave you a non-existent number and requested my quote ONLINE. Please email me with a quote or forward my request to someone who can. Thank you.

Jenny: I can't give you a quote without information on your house, or apartment or condo I don't know what you live in?? I need to know what type of home? How Many bedrooms, square footage? is there stairs? Elevator? are there any specialty items? (piano, pool table, special art? where your located (Address) for pick up and destination? I don't know if you need packing? How much packing if needed? All I can give you is a Guest without getting any information from you! In a box truck from <point A> to <point B> would be around $10,000 to $15,0000 Exclusive in either a box truck or tractor trailer Again depending on your cube?
    Thanks

Me: I did put all of that information in the request I filled out online. I'm sorry that it didn't make it to you. You might want to have someone look into that. Thank you for the rough estimate, though. That's all I was looking for at this point anyway. That number is well outside of our budget. Thank you for the information.

The level of stupidity here really hurts my face.
    "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

And you reply-I cannot accept your guest without more info-will it be male or female,will I be expected to house them and feed them,how long will they be my guest for?
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

If the company I've emailed responds intelligently, and asks for a phone or text conversation, I'll be fine with it. But the response has to be intelligent, and show that they've read my email.

For instance 'for security reasons, we like to have a phone conversation when we change a customer's online password' is fine.

So is 'Regarding your request for residing your house; you mentioned asbestos siding. We need to talk to someone about the current condition of the siding. Houses with asbestos siding also tend to have other issues we need to discuss.
        Would you be able to call us back on <number>? I can be available until <time> most nights. If that's not possible, just email me back and we'll sort something else out.'

Both let me know you read and paid attention to the email; and that you have good reasons for wanting to use real-time communication.

Most companies - specifically the ones that drive 'us' nuts - either don't pay attention to our emails, or don't have any good reason for phone communication over email. In many cases, it's both!
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I get something similar sometimes with customers. I'll email them a simple request and they'll fire off a usually snippy reply saying "Call me at xxx-xxxx." What? No. How about just answering the question?
          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I found another reason I prefer to deal with things via text rather than phone. I live with a little air-raid siren in training that is my toddler. During naps, I try to make calls and it's as if the kidlet has an inner sense that mommy is trying to "get things done," and wakes up to SCREAM the rest of the call. Also makes taking notes rather difficult. Email or via a chat is much easier, because the notes are already taken, and the poor sot on the other end isn't subjected to the wails of the enraged typhoon banshee breaking the sound barrier at close range.
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

That's a great recourse, though. Hold the phone up to your screaming toddler, then say, "How about we handle this via email like asked?"
              "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Just wandered over to Subway the other day and they were closed. Checked on the website, they should be open. (says it closed at 11pm. I was there at 10pm) So I use "Contact Us" to tell them that the hours on their website is incorrect for this store and provide all information (Hell, the form even lets you attach files... I was tempted to go take a picture of the darkened lights and the clock). This should be the end of it in my book.

Nope, phone call from the manager of the franchise location. "Please call us to further discuss this..." , uh no, I don't have anything else to discuss, you're just supposed to be open at the times you indicate whatever they might be. I really don't want to play phone tag over this... especially as they also have my email.

This also wasn't a single incident. The website lists them as closing at 11pm each and every weekday. On a weekend (friday/saturday) they do that, but they haven't been open that late on a weekday in a long time. In fact, the "Hours of Operation" that used to be on the door for years is now missing too. hmm....
                Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Just had another one last week. I've been looking for quotes for income insurance. A few websites had really in depth questions that need to be answered before you get the quote (you really need to know that I broke my toe over 20 years ago, where I did not miss any work, and don't get me started on all my sprains and strains over the years). One site had a big button with "Apply for a quote here". I clicked the button, then put in my contact details (put my house phone number not my mobile number since no one answers the house phone usually) and pressed "Next". The next screen says that someone will ring me shortly to discuss my application.

Huh? I asked for a quote. But since I leave for work at 5:30 am and usually get home sometime after 5:30 pm, I'm not really worried about them calling me at home.

Well my mother answered the phone the other day and surprise, surprise it was someone from the insurance company. Mum explained that I applied for an online quote as I have hearing problems so am uncomfortable using the phone. The guy said he would make a note with my phone number, but he would be happy to send information to me about how to obtain a quote. So I get an email with the PDS, (not really important when obtaining a "quote") and an envelope of info was sent to my home. This included a hard copy of the PDS, plus an application form. Not an application for a quote, just an actual application for income insurance.

I have filled in the application, except for the banking details and signing it. I am also going to enclose a note saying that it is ridiculous that I have to fill in an application just to get a quote, and that I will complete the form only if I decide that the quote is acceptable. The letter is being sent back tomorrow. Which reminds me, I really have to write that note up.

Comment

Quoth ozcatbug View Post
                    I have filled in the application, except for the banking details and signing it. I am also going to enclose a note saying that it is ridiculous that I have to fill in an application just to get a quote, and that I will complete the form only if I decide that the quote is acceptable. The letter is being sent back tomorrow. Which reminds me, I really have to write that note up.
                    DON'T DO IT!!! They're screwing you. You'll be signed up for their insurance. A quote doesn't require a full application. Take this company completely off your list.
                    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

How would Ozcatbug be signed up for their insurance without signing the application (until it's signed, the application is not binding) or filling in the banking information (insurance company wouldn't have the info needed to go grab the premiums)? I'd advise, rather than leaving the signature field blank, filling it in with "request for quotation ONLY - no signature" so nobody could fill it in with a forged signature.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

There are some pretty scammy insurance companies out there. We had a joint life and disability insurance policy. When my husband died not only did they deny the death benefit claim entirely (on principle I think, there didn't seem to be any violation of the policy we had signed), but they wouldn't let me cancel it because I wasn't the primary policy holder, even though I sent the death certificate and the court order of my being in charge of the estate. The letter they sent back actually said they needed the signature of the primary policy holder to cancel it, yes the one that was deceased. So I had to cancel the bank account to stop the payments from going through. Then they proceeded to call me every month for a year to harass me for payment, and finally sent it to collections.

Even the collections agent, not people best known for their compassion and common sense, once I sent him a copy of my written application for the claim, the denial, the letter requesting cancelling the policy and their written response stopped calling me. The 'debt' isn't on my credit report either. I have no idea if it is on my husbands, I haven't gotten one for him since his death.

I would probably be wary about sending in the application, if I really wanted a quote I would probably send in the pertinent information off the application in a letter, requesting a quote, and include in the letter that I would fill in the application if the quote seemed acceptable.
                        Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          How would Ozcatbug be signed up for their insurance without signing the application (until it's signed, the application is not binding) or filling in the banking information (insurance company wouldn't have the info needed to go grab the premiums)? I'd advise, rather than leaving the signature field blank, filling it in with "request for quotation ONLY - no signature" so nobody could fill it in with a forged signature.
                          I missed the part about it not being signed -- the lack of banking info is what caught my eye. Had it been signed, the insurance co. would've (probably) sent a bill.
                          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                          OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                          she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                          Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I did draw a line through both the banking details and the signature section. The rest of the application seems to be standard for getting quote's for income insurance. They are mostly general medical questions plus my income (needed to know how much I will be paid if I have time off work). In fact I've seen more in depth questions that are required for quotes that I refused to continue with. Who cares if my grandmother died of a heart attack and the other of cancer. Since the heart attack grandma was 85 and the cancer grandma was 90, I don't think this is an issue, and this is not info pertinent to getting a quote. So I'm not worried about the information I've entered in the application, plus this is a very well known company with a good rep. Thanks for the concern Deserted.

Comment

Working...
                            X