This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I knew it!!!

So, this weekend is Tax Free weekend in the state of Texas.

I usually have Friday and Saturday off, as that's how my schedule's been all summer, and if some will recall from previous threads, boss has been griping and moaning about how payroll is getting cut, but mysteriously, it was only one other girl and myself who weren't getting more hours?

Anyways, I gleefully mentioned how pleased I was that I had Friday and Saturday off. I did offer to stay later on Sunday, as we're open extended hours, and I work then anyways, and since it is the day before the fall semester officially starts, I figured, why not, grab extra hours when I can. Make sense? Well, Textbook manager was shocked I wasn't working the weekend before the semester opens. I mean, quite literally shocked. I've been around the longest, after him and other manager, and boss didn't schedule me? Completely threw him for a loop. I shrugged, and mentioned that, if I had to guess, I'd get a message sometime this week, asking me if I could work either Friday or Saturday.

Two hours ago, a text message hit my phone, and yup, it's from Boss.

"question...can u able 2 wrk this saturday at all???"

<snicker> Can I call it, or what?

Now, I know I said I wanted extra hours, but I had to sit and think about whether I wanted to sacrifice my last official "weekend" before the semester started. (fridays and saturdays are my weekends, since they're the two days i have off consecutively in a row) I finally answered back, tellnig him I can work the opening shift, but could only stay until 2 at the latest. This way I still have the afternoon/evening free, and I get more hours. Squee.

I'm still giggling on the inside, and yet, just a little irked. Funny how when crunch time comes down, suddenly there's room in payroll for me to be working more hours. Who, me, bitter? never...

ah well. I've resigned myself to the fact that though I'm stuck in this job unable to find anything else, I'll make the most of it. I'm not there to please anyone but myself, and if my work ethic happens to be 100 times better than anyone else's then so be it. When it comes time to graduate and I leave, they'll be the ones hurting. (That sounds so prideful and boastful, but sadly, 'tis truth.)

Lupo, I'll light a candle for your sanity and bruises this weekend. You couldn't get me anywhere near a store on tax-free weekend without knocking me out and tossing me from a speeding car.
    *shudder*

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
      "question...can u able 2 wrk this saturday at all???"
      Wait, wait. My brain has to unfreeze first.

Okay. There.

"Can you able to work?" CAN you able to work? Even if he had spelled any of that correctly, the grammar...and this is a manager...of a bookstore!?

Words fail me.

Comment

If you decide not to call out sick on Sunday, and/or go in on Saturday, when (not if) people bitch about having to pay tax on textbooks tell them they are lucky to be getting anything tax free at your store. According to the Texas Comptroller's Office :

"...Texas families also get a sales tax break on most school supplies priced at less than $100 purchased for use by a student in an elementary or secondary school." In other words, NEITHER COLLEGE STUDENTS, nor the general populace, are supposed to be getting anything tax-free. However, trying to keep everything separate would be a nightmare.

DH is the new owner of a retail concern, and we have to know these things. Thankfully, nothing he might be handling would be exempt, so it's just another day for us.

I'm not ready to go back to school, either!
        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I work this weekend too. I is not looking forward to it.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
            If you decide not to call out sick on Sunday, and/or go in on Saturday, when (not if) people bitch about having to pay tax on textbooks tell them they are lucky to be getting anything tax free at your store. According to the Texas Comptroller's Office :

"...Texas families also get a sales tax break on most school supplies priced at less than $100 purchased for use by a student in an elementary or secondary school." In other words, NEITHER COLLEGE STUDENTS, nor the general populace, are supposed to be getting anything tax-free. However, trying to keep everything separate would be a nightmare.
            That's interesting info, Primer, thanks! I think clothing still needs to be tax free, though, from what I'm reading. I'm taking a copy of that into work to talk to my boss about. Odds are, if we don't need to deal with the hassle, being a college bookstore, I'm all for not dealing with it!

Comment

Not dealing with the hassle? My poor, misguided Lupo. If you didn't have to give tax free weekend at your store and you therefore chose not to give it, I weep for the employees who'd deal with the resulting suckage.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
              X