This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are they thinking?

I don't post a lot, so this needs just a bit of background. My fulltime job is in tech support. I'm happy with my pay, but we went thru a rough patch because of South FL horrible housing market, so I decided to get a PT job. Got that at a mass market retailer, similar to Wal-Mart, but only in the mid-west. I only work about 15 hrs a week and have been there less then 2 months. So, not my bread & butter, but a nice little addition, and it gets me out of the house. Working from home is great but BORING.

Anyway, onto the story, and I wish I could cross post this as a "moron's in management" story, because I don't know what they are thinking. So I go into work, and since I work late at my other job, I typically don't get to work much before 8pm, so I don't see my boss very often. He was there tonight and we were discussing my schedule for next week and he dropped this little tid-bit bomb on me:
    B-Boss
    M-ME!

B-"So, what's it going to take to make this your only job?"
    M-"You couldn't afford me. (Yes, I said this. I have a very bad brain to mouth filter. Fails me all the time!) I make $XX and hour and basically double my salary w/ overtime. Plus, I have great benefits, blah, blah, blah."
    B-"Well, we think you really have management potential, so we just wanted to put it out there"
    T-"Thanks, I'm really flattered and will definitely keep it as an option. I appreciate the vote of confidence"

All the while screaming in my head "Are you freaking kidding me? You don't know me, you don't know anything about me!" I am definitely the least management potential person I know. Bad temper, short fuse, afore mentioned brain to mouth filter, like my life too much, etc....
    I mean, I seriously think that I might have seen this guy a total of 2hrs from interview to today.

I don't mean to sound pompous or anything like that, but I only got this job to get me out of the house and make a little extra cash. I am grateful that they think that I'm doing that good of a job, but I'd rather just keep the shelves straight and put returns away.
    Is it really SO hard to listen to the prompts?

Two options spring to mind.

They may genuinely think that you have management potential.

They may want someone disposable to blame for something.

Would be worth asking them why they think you have management potential and find out their reasons. If they cannot do that easily, then you have to keep an eye out for the red flags. Of course, I'd only suggest going down that route if you have any interest in what they say. If you just want the spare hours/cash and a fairly low-stress job, then I wouldn't bother.

Rapscallion

Comment

Maybe it is just cos you show up on time, do your work and don't goof off.
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
        Maybe it is just cos you show up on time, do your work and don't goof off.
        hmmmm but then what about people like Irv and Blas and quite a few others who actually DO their jobs whilst people like Numbnuts and Hedi and Ann and Capt Jellico and the like get away with murder????
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
          hmmmm but then what about people like Irv and Blas and quite a few others who actually DO their jobs whilst people like Numbnuts and Hedi and Ann and Capt Jellico and the like get away with murder????
          There are some places and managers that actually appreciate a good work ethic. Weird, I know.
          Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Quoth ohsobitter View Post
            Bad temper, short fuse, afore mentioned brain to mouth filter
            You're already qualified to be management. You get angry quick, you yell at anyone near you (underlings!), and you say stupid crap.

I suffer from the same issues, but no one ever offers to make me management. I assume because I have a quality work ethic and try to get my work done rather than ignoring everyone around me.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
              There are some places that appreciate punctualitiy and hard work and promote the good workers; while others , like Blas' and Irv's employers, sadly don't.
              "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                There are some places that appreciate punctualitiy and hard work and promote the good workers; while others , like Blas' and Irv's employers, sadly don't.
                There are a lot of places out there that think time served is a valid indicator of management potential. I put that idea up there with hereditary officer corps in the military.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

The manager has probably looked over performance reviews or talked with whoever is immediatly above you. If you're a good worker at his job and he knows you are a good enough worker to work from home then its not a far stretch to think you are responcible enough to be a manager.

Comment

hey sometimes they need the truth

Comment

Working...
                    X