Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sigh. Another upcoming rental inspection...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigh. Another upcoming rental inspection...

Almost 2-years ago I posted this about failing our first rental inspection, then passing.

Well this fall will be the next 2-year inspection. We've done A LOT of work on the gardens; front yard is finished with no changes being made. Side gardens are finished; all I have to do with those 3 is to weed. The back yard we are leveling and stepping into shape for eventual retaining walls by hand, since there's no way to get heavy equipment back there, though we have added drainage due to flooding. We're adding a patio that's also half-done, by hand. I noticed the eves on the back and side of the house are flaking and could use a scraping and new paint. But there is SO MUCH to do to get the yard done that I was stressing this next inspection. Last time the rental inspector had nothing good to say about the landscaping, talking about run-down, eye-sore rental properties and renters who don't care about home values in the neighborhood. There is only 1-neighbor that can see into our back yard and their yard is a wreck too. My front yard and front of house is better than more than half the neighborhood, but not everyone likes mulching, rock gardens and lots of greenery.

The inspector seemed to hint that our passing the inspection hinged on the outside look of the home, even though there's nothing about that on any paperwork we got; only safety features like handrails and smoke detectors. When I told the housemates that we had to get the backyard finished for this next inspection, the housemate who's mom owns the property told me that he and she spoke with the township regarding the unwritten demands of the inspector. Apparently, everybody in the township hates this guy, and the township office gets loads of complaints about him, but nobody else ever applies for the job. Apparently, he's always pushing his opinion of what a 'nice' home should look like and making those 'veiled threats that without taking his advice, you wont pass.

So here I was worried for nothing, but I'd still like to get it looking decent so he has less to complain about! His big gripe last year was the digging in the back yard and my 'weedy overgrown garden' I had to explain that it was an enclosed, mulched, WILDFLOWER garden and that's just what the plants look like! Mainly, I want to give him the LEAST amount of things to complain about; I don't care if they're required or not.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

If you've got another wildflower garden, stick a little wooden sign on it - 'wildflower garden to help the neighbourhood lower their carbon footprint'/'school nature study area'. It's a feature not a bug. :-) Good luck.
    (Or apply for this chap's job.)

Comment

Sounds like he should be running an HOA. A former coworker of mine owned a condo in an area that gets about 10F degrees warmer, at least, in the summer than where I live. (We reside in an area of numerous microclimates, where traveling half a mile can completely alter the weather.)

All the drapes had to be white. Window air conditioners were not allowed, even though the condos did not have central air. The temperature there regularly pushes 100F or more in the summer, which is only exacerbated by the fact that her condo was the top unit in a three-story building. And the fees were outrageous. Her real estate agent was too hyped to make the sale to have her review the HOA agreement thoroughly, and it is a complete ripoff.

Frankly, I would have gotten a doctor's note about the temperatures, stuck in a window AC, and dared them to do anything.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Wait, you're the tenant? Why isn't the owner responsible for getting all this work done??
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

MC - It may depend on where LilFilly lives -- In most areas, AFAIK, Landlords are responsible for maintenance and safety issues, but not for cosmetic things like the yard. E.g., LL would need to replace broken or worn siding and maybe paint the exterior, but not necessarily mow the lawn. This likely differs by area (and, in many places, tenants get tired of waiting and just mow it themselves) -- also, usually, if a tenant pays for something the LL is responsible for, they can take it out of the rent payment.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Wait, you're the tenant? Why isn't the owner responsible for getting all this work done??
            My housemates mother is the owner; we rent, she cuts us a break on the rent and we do all the upkeep. She pretty much said the house is ours and do whatever we want. If there's a huge repair, she'll take more off the rent. The problem is the guy wanting us to do work that isn't necessary.
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

This guy works for the city? What are the repercussions to "failing" an inspection? A fine for flatmate's mom? Who's inspector boy's supervisor? Where are the criteria he is inspecting against kept?

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                This guy works for the city? What are the repercussions to "failing" an inspection? A fine for flatmate's mom? Who's inspector boy's supervisor? Where are the criteria he is inspecting against kept?
                Repercussions would be fines for housemate's mom, which we don't want; she is a wonderful person! If the property was not up to standards, she would no longer be allowed to rent. The supervisor is pretty much the city itself. Apparently, nobody ever runs for office for rental inspector, so this guy has had the job for years. The criteria are pretty specific, so we can't actually get in trouble for something not listed, but I'm sure it would goad him into looking for other violations or reporting us for something he might think we're doing/not doing.

PS. I like the idea about the signs for the gardens; I did get a 'Conservation; bird sanctuary' sign recently

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                  My housemates mother is the owner; we rent, she cuts us a break on the rent and we do all the upkeep. She pretty much said the house is ours and do whatever we want. If there's a huge repair, she'll take more off the rent. The problem is the guy wanting us to do work that isn't necessary.
                  Ahh, I gotcha. Some friends of mine had a deal like that, now that I think about it.

But yeah, then you're also stuck with the city inspectors or whoever coming around and bitching about things. Couple years ago one told me I had to replace a "missing downspout." I called their office and left a voicemail telling them I had both downspouts and have had them since I bought the house. I have no idea what the hell he was looking at to make him think one was missing.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    I have no idea what the hell he was looking at to make him think one was missing.
                    An e-mail from his drinking buddy who runs a gutter installation company, complaining that business has been slow lately?
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Maybe you should run. Slogan would be "Do you really want the other guy?" xD

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                        we can't actually get in trouble for something not listed, but I'm sure it would goad him into looking for other violations
                        Yeah, I was kind of afraid of that. Petty power play that has no restrictions.
                        sounds like you're taking the right tack to deal with it, a bummer, but life's that way sometimes. 'least you get free motivation for a high end landscaping?

Comment

Working...
                        X