This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cashier with a Backbone of Adamantium

I worked on a Saturday, and ended up staying even later than usual. This means, of course, that I'm craving the ultimate fake food from Tortilla Hades*. I thought I had lucked out when I got to the drive thru and there was only one person ahead of me. I didn't count on the people behind me.

I ordered noshes for me and the kids and pulled up to the combination pay/pickup window. The cashier asks me when I get to the window if I want something else. I decided to get two of their freezes. I waited a moment as she took the next order, then she took my order for the freezes.

And that's when I heard her say into her headset, "I understand you don't have all night, sir, but we're busy, so if you're not happy with waiting, you're welcome to back out of the drive thru and go somewhere else."

I immediately apologized for taking up her time, but she wouldn't hear it. The customer apparently decided he would wait quietly, and she took his order while I waited for them to finished bagging mine.

*We don't want them trolling here.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

If I did that I'd be on probation. Well, no. I did something like that recently and didn't get in trouble.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Tortilla Hades *Snerk* I love that name!
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

The, uh, Tortilla Hades around here have small concrete walls around their drive-thru lanes, as does a newly-renovated burger place that's named for a red-haired girl. Getting out of either one with other cars ahead and behind would involve damage to car's nether regions If course, that may have been the whole point.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I've always hated people who complain about long fast food lines. You knew how long the line was before you got in. Either get in line and shut up or find someplace else.
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

A few more from me. A few things I hated whilst working in the drive thru at the King of Burgers when I was younger.

Quick background: We were supposed to have people in and out of our drive thru in 3 minutes. Which essentially means we were supposed to make up the time from when our times sucked (usually during rushes) during our slower periods, if that makes sense. Of course, the time started when they actually pulled up to the speaker. Not when they decided what they wanted. Anyway...

1. People with "multiple orders". I HATED this, but our establishment allowed it. But only two per vehicle. Except for once or twice when a manager backed down. A customer wanted to place FOUR separate orders. In the drive thru. Pro tip: If you're going to do that, GO INSIDE!! The manager buckled. It might not have been so bad if it were a slow period, but this was in the middle of the lunch rush. I don't know that I would have buckled. Especially when the guy said, "I'm going to sit here until you do."

My response to that might have been, "Fine. You're now trespassing and interfering with the operation of a business. The police are on their way."

I'm sure someone can explain to me the logic of "multiple orders", but how hard is basic addition and subtraction?? "Ok, the total was $9.30, Steve's food was $4.12, mine was $5.18, so Steve owes me..." or whatever.

2. No offense meant to the OP, but I HATED when people ordered at the window. If it was something small ("oops...I forgot a drink") it usually wasn't that big of a deal. Unfortunately a lot of times it wasn't something small. It was more like "Can I add another #1 and another #3 to that??"

I would have LOVED to have said, "Yes...if you drive back thru."

3. People who think they're "funny" in the drive thru when you're in the middle of a rush. That's all I'm saying about that, because that's all that needs to be said.

4. BIG orders. Again, if you're going to order 12 Stupendous Burgers, 10 large orders of french fries, and 12 sodas, COME INSIDE AND DO IT!!! Pro Tip: You're not necessarily going to get your food any faster by going through the drive thru!!

5. A guy bitched at me once because I dropped a dime. I was trying to hand it to him, but he had his hand barely out his window, and he moved it a little when I was handing him his change. I apologized, and he bitched at me anyway, basically saying that sorry wouldn't get him his dime.

That's off the top of my head...yeah, I'm still a little traumatized about it, all these years later. In fact, when I finally "retired" from foodservice, it took me quite a while before I would even consider going through a drive thru.
            Last edited by mjr; 04-22-2014, 11:22 AM.
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I have found that ordering inside (even if it's to-go) also tends to increase accuracy, so I often do so unless I really do need to get going/feel to lazy to get out of the car. One "red-haired girl" place that's near a place I used to work was terribad about this. half of the time or so, the DT managed to screw up my hideously complicated "two dollar burgers, ketchup only on both, and a small shake" order >_<
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post

4. BIG orders. Again, if you're going to order 12 Stupendous Burgers, 10 large orders of french fries, and 12 sodas, COME INSIDE AND DO IT!!! Pro Tip: You're not necessarily going to get your food any faster by going through the drive thru!!
                OMG when I used to work 3rd shift and would go to the McD's drive-thru, at least once a week I would get stuck behind someone like that. And it wasn't like I could just go inside since it was like 2am. I remember once I got stuck behind someone who placed a $50 order at 3am!!! The workers were VERY nice to me because I had to wait so long and was totally patient so I got my meal at half price.

Comment

[background]Reminds me of one Sunday evening. See, because of my bladder problems, I have to eat at a certain time or risk pushing everything back and going to bed at 6am. It's also the reason why we go to church at 7pm on Sundays.

After church, we head over to McDonalds to eat dinner. Again, because of my bladder problems, we prefer to use the drive-thru or else I will spend at least 10 minutes in Ronald's loo.
                  [/background]

Now to this particular day. My mom placed an order for the usual, a McDouble (for me, Mom eats at home). We headed over to the first window and waited.

And waited.

And waited. And Mom complained about the staff "ignoring" us!

And waited until I had an idea: Let's try honking the horn!

We did, and sure enough, a man waved us over to the SECOND window! I think we had a good laugh over this!

Sometimes we pay at the first window and pick up at the second window, but this time we paid and picked up at the second window.

Guess it wasn't that busy.
                  cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                    I've always hated people who complain about long fast food lines. You knew how long the line was before you got in. Either get in line and shut up or find someplace else.
                    I hate customers who complain full stop because 99% of the time they don't have a legitimate complaint.

Comment

I was taking a taxi home last Friday, and the driver told me the story of a late night pickup he did once. Guy was drunk as hell, and had the taxi stop at Ronnie's place for some burgers. (The place is a full serve 24h place)

The guy ordered 45 Ronnie double burgers... through the drive thru... at 3AM.

He got his order eventually, but the driver said his dispatcher was wondering what was taking so long. (I hope they had the taxi pull up and park instead of waiting at the window, but I didn't ask).

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                        ... drunk as hell ... ordered 45 Ronnie double burgers...
                        Just trying to get up the nerve to go to Confession.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                          I was taking a taxi home last Friday, and the driver told me the story of a late night pickup he did once. Guy was drunk as hell, and had the taxi stop at Ronnie's place for some burgers. (The place is a full serve 24h place)

The guy ordered 45 Ronnie double burgers... through the drive thru... at 3AM.

He got his order eventually, but the driver said his dispatcher was wondering what was taking so long. (I hope they had the taxi pull up and park instead of waiting at the window, but I didn't ask).
                          I had the same situation, just... not quite as many burgers.
                          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                          OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                          she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                          Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working...
                          X