This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting Stuff on Top of Eggs Will Break Them

I was ringing up a customer since it got a little busy and she had quite a few items. I put the eggs in a bag and I put the bread in. The customer told me not to put anything on top of her eggs since they would break if I did. I removed the bread from the bag and ended up putting it in another one.
    My Fanfic Page
    My Fiction Page
    My Social Group
    My Pet Social Group
    My You Tube Channel

Unless she's eating dwarf bread, I'm sure putting bread ontop of eggs should be fine...I'm going to join you in the confused corner...
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Well, there's German backhausbrot (can't remember how to do the umlauts, and I treasure the ignorance). That thing was renamed by me to be 'concussion loaf'.

Rapscallion

Comment

Oi, I remember getting that all the time. Use the eggs to build a solid base for the bag, then put a couple loaves of bread (like Wonder bread or similar) on top to fill up the bag without putting anything heavy on the eggs.

NOOOOOOOO! You'll BREAK THE EGGSS!!!!!!!ELEVENTY!!!

Ummm, no. Not the way it works. I mean, our cooler had dozens of eggs stacked 15 deep. You think your three loaves of bread weigh more than a gross of eggs?

Of course, that would mean applying (un)common sense to the situation.

I feel for you, and I doubt I could ever go back to being a register jockey. I would either get fired for brow beating people with sense or physically beating them with a belt divider. Or possibly both at the same time.

Comment

For as long as I can remember, eggs and bread were safe together. To this day baggers/courtesy clerks do that. When I was a grocery store cashier, I did it. I'm sharing in your "WTF?" moment.

Comment

Eggs plus bread, chips, etc. is how i do it all the time when I bag my own. Those eggy containers ARE pretty tough, and as mentioned, I just took it from a stack TEN HIGH!
            Now I understand why I routinely see them all by their lonesome when cashiers/baggers do it though. Tired of being "corrected."

Comment

I hated that. One little old lady flipped when i put two loose rolls, maybe 2 or 3 oz each on the top of a carton of eggs.

Of course the eggs were broken(according to the SC), and i MUST bring them back to Dairy and tell them I broke them and get he new ones.

So I went to Dairy, went in the cooler (it was really hot out and I had just done carriages) for a few minutes and bought up the original package of eggs.

Before the SC left she lectured me on why i must NEVER do it again.

Comment

I once put a quart of ice cream on top of a dozen eggs. Amazingly, although all but three weren't cracked/squished, they were largely intact.

We had a big frittata that night.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I have only broken eggs once, and that's cause the stupid flimsy styrofoam container that I was holding decided it wanted to bend in the middle and crack, dumping half my eggs on the floor
                  Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Quoth KaySquirrel
                    I'd be tempted to tell the customer that eggs are designed to withstand the weight of an entire chicken just to watch it BLOW THEIR MIND.
                    That is awesome!!

My daughter once dumped an entire 18 of eggs on the floor at the store. Like opened the carton and dumped them out. I had turned my back for like .004 of a second! There was an employee stocking the dairy, and he just laughed and said he watched it happen, but it was so fast he didn't even have time to say "umm..." Yeah, I made darn sure she couldn't reach them ever again.

I always put my bread on my eggs, and that's my only broken egg experience.
                    "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

I once found eggs in the bottom of a bag..... with pickel jars and the large penut butter on top of them! And not a single egg was damaged (but I was really careful unpacking that bag!

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                        Well, there's German backhausbrot (can't remember how to do the umlauts, and I treasure the ignorance). That thing was renamed by me to be 'concussion loaf'.

Rapscallion
                        ä - hit your ALT key the 0228 on the side keypad. There, I just took you treasure away.

As for eggs in bags - many things can go on top of eggs - most breads, potato chips, pita, etc.. but when I was a bagger I found it easiest, unless they requested paper bags, to just put the eggs in their own little bag and place it in the child seat.

I did test a theory once - many more people complained when I put something (like the bread or chips) on top of the eggs in the same bag as opposed to in separate bags and then putting the bred / chips bag on top of the eggs bag.
                        Quote Dalesys:
                        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I actually had a customer order me to double bag her eggs once. Yep, I double bagged two of those little tiny egg bags because she didn't want her eggs to break. In fact, all of her groceries had to be double bagged, including the bread. Got to where baggers would avoid this woman and cashiers would pray they weren't going to have her come through her line.

Comment

I once had a woman chew me out for putting a loaf of bread with her eggs, but it wasn't due to "crushing" the eggs. Nope, she was worried about salmonila (sp?) and how her bread would be "tainted".

I also had a woman tell me to put her bananas on top of the bread (not the other way around) because the bread would bruise the fruit.
                            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

One of our baggers always puts the eggs at the bottom of the bag.

Then proceeds to load tons of produce on top of it. Seriously, a cantaloupe does not go on top of 18 eggs!

She may be a little special, I keep telling her not to do that and she keeps doing it... sigh.

Comment

Working...
                              X