This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music app advice

As some of you may know, Google Play Music is being discontinued. I'm not happy with YouTube music (I refuse to pay for a subscription just so I can play my downloaded music with the screen locked), so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a music app that I can use to play my music in the same way I did on GPM.

My main requirements are not having to stream music to listen and being able to connect via bluetooth to my car stereo. Being able to transfer my music from GPM would be good as well, since I have several hundred songs on there.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Dunno if you can transfer from GPM (although the dev team is VERY responsive), but I've been using Rocket Player for years (I'm even one of their beta testers). Does fine with a bluetooth connection to the car and works from downloaded music (I don't even think it CAN stream, but I could be wrong there, since I haven't tried it. Not how I function. I have Amazon Prime Music for that).
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Does your car have a USB port? If so, another option may be transferring your downloaded music to a flash drive and playing it from the USB port.

My new car has this, and I've been ripping CDs and transferring music to a flash drive. Think I need to invest in a bigger one.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I use the VLC Music Player on my computer. I have been very satisfied with it.

It is also available for Android in the Google Play Store.

I've also used the USB drive for music in my car.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Many aftermarket stereos also have USB ports. Useful if you have an older car.

If you order from some place like Crutchfield, you can get adapter wiring harnesses (some soldering required, but it really is plug-and-play at that point) plus installation instructions which are pretty good in my experience.

I replaced the head unit in a friend's old Corolla with a new one from Crutchfield and she has been quite happy with it since.
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
            Dunno if you can transfer from GPM (although the dev team is VERY responsive), but I've been using Rocket Player for years (I'm even one of their beta testers). Does fine with a bluetooth connection to the car and works from downloaded music
            Thank you for the suggestion, I'll have a look. Does it keep playing if the screen locks?

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            Does your car have a USB port? If so, another option may be transferring your downloaded music to a flash drive and playing it from the USB port.
            It does, but I use certain playlists to calm myself down if I get overly stressed, so I need to be able to use my phone as a music player. Also my car's controls for music aren't great, so I prefer having things organised on my phone.
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Youtube Music does not need a subscription to play your MP3/Ogg/Music files and it does not pause when the phone is locked. Behaves similar to GPM.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                Thank you for the suggestion, I'll have a look. Does it keep playing if the screen locks?
                (about Rocket Player) Yes it does.
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

You're looking to play music from your phone to your car? Pretty much any app should do that, though I personally have been using AIMP on an old Android phone that I use as a music player quite happily, and it'll output to BT just fine. As to getting your music out of Google Play, you can download it to your computer, although it's a bit tedious process, just go to play.google.com, choose music, and then your library. I know you can download individual songs, not sure about the entire library in one go.
                  Seph
                  Taur10
                  "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

We put music on an sd card and put it in the slot in the car. I also like streaming so I use Spotify for everything.
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I haven't seen many cars that have an SD card slot. Maybe I should look harder...
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                        I haven't seen many cars that have an SD card slot.
                        Not many do IME, but some do have USB ports that you can stick a flash drive in.

SanDisk makes some very small, cheap drives that are good for the purpose; doesn't stick out far enough to snag something and get broken.

Comment

Yeah, I have one of those for the USB socket in my car. Just never heard of cars with the SD slot built in.

Comment

Yeah, I have one of those for the USB socket in my car. Just never heard of cars with the SD slot built in.
                            Nissan uses an SD card for their satnav info, but i dont think it does anything else beyond that.
                            This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
                            my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

I think it's mostly an aftermarket thing, but rare even then since you can connect a phone via Bluetooth or USB or as mentioned, use a USB stick.
                              Seph
                              Taur10
                              "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X