Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ThinkCentre was released in 2003. Windows 10 was released in 2004. So no, it was not designed to support Windows 10.

However, the questions isn't "Does the ThinkCentre support Windows 10?, but "Does Windows 10 support the ThinkCentre?"
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

This is a reconditioned computer - the guy who sold it to me said that it was "a few years old". I don't know how much of the hardware is original, though my guess is that there's enough of it in there. The HD and SSD are new, but that might be it.

Comment

Looking up what you have I see it's a Thinkcentre M91. The CPU is not supported by Win10. What people do with computers like this is to use Win8 drivers. Most of the time this works fine. You may need to reinstall win10, let windows update pull as many drivers as it can and then manually install the win8/win10 drivers from the Lenovo support site for anything win10 couldn't find drivers for.

If you decide to keep it, I would make sure it has 16G of memory (most likely only has 8GB now.) That will do wonders for it and should be under $10 for each 4GB PC3-10600 Module on eBay (max per slot is 4GB for a total of 16GB.) Could also get a i7-2600 for around $45 (fastest CPU for the computer, just don't get the i7-2600S) More memory would be the first thing I would do if I was going to fix it up. A new video card would also help. if it still has the original one, even a base level modern one would run circles around it and take load from the system memory/CPU.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          The ThinkCentre was released in 2003. Windows 10 was released in 2004. So no, it was not designed to support Windows 10.

However, the questions isn't "Does the ThinkCentre support Windows 10?, but "Does Windows 10 support the ThinkCentre?"
          Windows 10 was released in 2015.
          Windows 7 was released in 2009.
          Windows Vista was released in 2006.
          Windows ME was released in 2000.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Flipping back and forth between pages and grabbed the wrong field.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I contacted the guy who sold me the computer (the computer store is a very reputable one; it's been in business more than 20 years). He pointed out that the computer is equipped to work with Windows 10; otherwise, it would have been impossible for him to install it. I told him about the issues I've been having, and how these Internet problems don't occur on my phone.

One thing: this building has WiFi and Ethernet. My computer has the Ethernet cable plugged into it. My phone, of course, uses the WiFi. I've just plugged my WiFi adapter into the computer to see if it helps to use both connections. I haven't noticed a difference so far.

Comment

The computer can run win10, but intel and Lenovo decided they didn't want to write the code for the driver for the CPU/computer. They did this to try and force you buy a new one. Vista, Win8, and Win10 use the same kernel to run off of. That's why the win8 driver will work most of the time. Microsoft on the other hand wanted people to upgrade to 10 so they made it the hardware check only reject anything that can't run Vista. They learned their lesson after the XP/Vista/Win7 debacle when businesses demanded MS to keep supporting XP because their very expensive software wouldn't run on Vista/7 so they were refusing to make the change.

Comment

That last bit is...odd. I always found that 7 could run any XP (or 2000) stuff I could throw at it with few, if any, issues o_O

I stuck with 7 for a looooong time, only upgrading to 10 once the free upgrade promo kicked in (FYI, to the best of my knowledge, they never actually discontinued that (or they just quietly reinstated it at some point)) – so if you have a system with 7 or later that can run w10, you might still be able to get it for free from MS.

The discussion is bringing back some old memories, tho I used 2000 for quite some time, even as a gamer (there was a site, ntcompatible dot com, that listed compatibility issues and fixes – the site is either dead or a pale shadow of its former self by now). I tried Me, but it didn't reach half an hour after installation before its first – and last – BSOD. XP after that, and I didn't trust 7 for its first few years, but I eventually caved. Skipped straight from there to 10; various clients at the accounting place used 8 or Vista, and I was not impressed.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I had Windows 10 running okay on my 9 year old T410, worked decently enough.
                    There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      That last bit is...odd. I always found that 7 could run any XP (or 2000) stuff I could throw at it with few, if any, issues o_O
                      7 had a XP emulator built in that they removed in 8.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      The discussion is bringing back some old memories, tho I used 2000 for quite some time, even as a gamer (there was a site, ntcompatible dot com, that listed compatibility issues and fixes
                      Vista, 7, 8, 10 are built on the NT kernel so all game are NT compatible now. They just don't like old NT software.

Comment

The guy at the computer store told me that updates often screw things up (my words, not his), and that it's best to wait until all the bugs are out before installing them. Which does make sense.

Comment

Okay, here's another one.

I bought a Bluetooth dongle so I could have Bluetooth in my PC. I plugged it in, ran the installation CD, and thought that was it.

It wasn't. I can't turn on Bluetooth on my PC, or find other Bluetooth devices. I tried installing the software again, but it's already installed - so what am I missing?

Comment

Sometimes a unplug/reinsert will do the trick. Other times, the computer needs a restart in order to properly parse the new code. (Not as common anymore, but still happens here and there)

Got documentation with that dongle?

Comment

Check the manufacturer's website for updated drivers. Ones shipped with the device are usually out of date.
                              There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

It's a BTD100, if that helps. It has the brand of a popular, nationwide electronics store here (Alza). Made in China, of course. I have driver update software, and I just ran it; it says all my drivers are up to date.

Comment

Working...
                                X