This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those slow, boring nights

All this week I work 4-10(close). It's usually painfully, mind-numbingly slow.

I wish they would change our hours so we close at 9. They did that last year, then changed them for the holidays.

It's one of the most boring shifts. I straighten, dust, clean. When there's stock to tag and out away, I do that. But STILL my night just crawls by. I sometimes hope for those customers who take up your time and ramble for 20 minutes just so time will go by faster.

I'm not allowed to have a book or anything to read. I go to the aisles outside my department and straighten the rugs and picture frames. I dust the frames, vacuums, put curtains back in their packages that people pulled out, but still I end up having hours to go.

I went though ALL of the DVDs one night and tagged all of them that didn't have a security tag on them. I walk through all the aisles and rub my foot on all those scuff marks to make them disappear.

What do you do on nights that seem like they'll never end? I feel like I do everything I possibly can, but it still doesn't take enough time, and I end up walking around pulling my hair wishing I had a time machine to speed up the night.

I'd review the list in the Joke section on 'Ways to maintain your Sanity', and start implementing some of them. At least the ones that won't get me fired... just weird looks and the finger circle symbol of crazy.
    Make a list of important things to do today.
    At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
    Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

I will never understand policies that don't allow you have a book or anything to pass the time when it's slow. If it's slow what are you supposed to do, stare at the walls?
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I find the concept of "not enough to do" completely nonexistent where I work. Everywhere I look, there is something to do. It's crazy. I have a constant inner desire to grab a price gun and printer and just rescan the whole bleeping store. My store has four or five pricing issues.
        • People keep ripping off price tags. There's no Loss Prevention or anything in the store; no cops running around, and not enough people to notice when people do crafty or sly things to the prices or tags or whatever. Something I had priced the week before would have no price on the plastic tag-holder. I think I know why it is. Not like anyone's going to be able to do anything about it though. I find price stickers everywhere on the floor or on the side of shelves... Almost all of them are over two years old though.
        • Those darn price change stickers. They have the same color scheme as our natural ones, but have the SKU / UPC cut partially off, making it nearly impossible to read for items that aren't our brand. (We have a different, larger, easier to read number for our brand.) I want to rip all those off to give myself a reason to replace them with the printer's sticker. That's my anger management. Hoowah!
        • Old Stickers. Some of the price stickers in the store are almost four years old now, from when the store first opened. Some of them are so worn out and ragged that the barcode is no longer able to be read, much less scanned to replace it.
        • Prices that just aren't there. Things like lumber and plexiglass and glass and knobs have never really had much of a price. Nobody ever prices them. Nobody seems to have the time. If or when they are, I find the price gone the next day. Kinda ticks me off.
        • Shelves that never get a price that matches the item due to how often the items themselves chance position due to how few there are, (Yet none can stack one on top of another) and due to item turnover. Rugs and carpets that aren't on rolls are like this. They're their own display items, but we get more of them than we have room for. Not all of them have similar prices either.
        • There are only three or four scanners and printers in the store, but one or two of them are either broken or lost.

Not to mention that so much of the store goes un-faced-out, and is just plain dirty. I can't kneel down on anything without getting a knee full of dust. I have no idea why people love this store so much. It's probably because the workers seem to care. I know I do. I always thought it was just so they'd have to smile for the sake of keeping their jobs by looking like they're happy. Knowing how things work is a huge help...
        SC: "Are you new or something?"
        Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

I agree somewhat with ShadowTiger on this, at least regarding my secretary job......best way to put it is that it would be REALLY helpful to either expand office hours or let me have the option of putting more time in when there's a lot "extra" stuff going on.

Comment

I work in customer service for a mortage servicing company. I work the evening hours so i come in at 2:30PM and work until 11:00PM. Now the majority of the clients we service for only have us take calls until 8:00PM. There are like 4 clients who's customers can call until 11:00. It's mainly for west coast customers but that's besides the point.

So I'll get like maybe 4 or 5 calls over a 3 hour period. I'll do research for calls I've gotten during the day that I need to look into but that takes all of 15 to 30 mins. So I do a few things to pass the time. I'll bring a book or my DS and spend time on that or I'll bring in my laptop so I can surf on the open wireless network that isn't blocked like the company network is.

I'm sure my supervisors wouldn't be totally thrilled that I was on my laptop, but in my area I'm the only one back here at night and I'm situated in such a way as to see anyone that's coming. If they give me somthing to do I have no problem doing it, but if I'm just going to sit here I'm going to log into EVE and get some play time in

Comment

Quoth Ravenzfire View Post
              If they give me somthing to do I have no problem doing it, but if I'm just going to sit here I'm going to log into EVE and get some play time in
              Look me up in game, Aruvqan or Margali Falk - my corp is in F A I L [TRAIN] alliance, located in FIO1-8. I wouldn't suggest visiting unless you are friendly with Mostly Harmless ...
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
              X