X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, spyware is user error

User error? Does not compute!

This just happened.

Irate guy calls me, complaining about pop-ups, his antivirus doesn't run, can't access Chrome, etc.

He just had Windows reloaded in his computer in May - so why isn't it working now? I very calmly explain that spyware and viruses are user error which we don't cover, and *somebody* had to have clicked on something because that junk software (PC speedup, My PC Backup, Driver Updater, etc.) is all garbage and doesn't spontaneously appear like Ben Kenobi's ghost in Empire Strikes Back. It's there because SOMEONE CLICKED ON SOMETHING THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE.

So guy brings it in. He's at least a bit more calm as I told him if it was a simple infection I'd knock it out for no charge. It also helps that he's about 5'6 and I'm about 6'1/375 pounds. That little factoid helps quite a bit in negotiating tactics.

Have the guy wait while I fire the computer up - after a few questions and determining the date the offending software was installed - turns out YES. He admitted he clicked on some sort of supposedly free driver update software or something along those lines.

Fortunately it looks like just a few things need to be removed and it's not a horrific infection.

Oh - my favorite part was when he was on the phone: "With the money I spent to have this upgraded I could have purchased a new computer!"

Yeah, jackass - and it would have been MORE vulnerable because new PC's usually only come with a 30 - 60 day trial of antivirus and no antispyware except Windows Defender. I told him the computer didn't matter - it was user error. If someone clicks on something they shouldn't, it doesn't matter how old the computer is.

We're Microsoft and we're here to help

Just FYI to non-computer savvy folks... the latest scam going around is that these guys from Pakistan/India/wherever will call you and claim they're from Microsoft tech support. Your computer is infected but - good news! They'll log in and fix the problem for you.

It's bullshit.

Simplest thing to remember is that Microsoft HATES us. They will never call you for anything and if they do, they will ALWAYS charge you to help. These guys are just going phone number by phone number in sequence and calling each person, hoping they'll fall for their bogus crap. Then they get remotely connected to your computer and infect it and that's when they want to start charging you for "help".

I have a woman's laptop we just had to reload Windows in because she fell for it and they jacked up her computer so bad we couldn't just clean out the junk.

So be wary. And hey - if someone calls you and says they're from Microsoft, feel free to insult them, insult their mothers, etc. If you browse Youtube you'll find people who purposely try to keep them on the phone as long as they can to waste their time and keep them from calling other people. It's the new 419-baiting.

419eater should love getting their claws into these guys.
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
      419eater should love getting their claws into these guys.
      I checked their forums - they're well aware of them.

Comment

Just say where do I find the windows on my Mac? Hubby had one sunday that called. When they said his windows were infected he went off about Ebola, the CDC and that he was fully prepared for the zombie ebola apocalypse.

Comment

They usually say they are calling from windows, so when I told them that Microsoft had local offices so that if I would be called, it would be in Dutch, they assured me that the were in fact not from microsoft, they are with windows

Comment

I got one of those recently. The accent was horrible, and the number was from a MA cell. Honestly, they weren't even trying.
            But the paint on me is beginning to dry
            And it's not what I wanted to be
            The weight on me
            Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

I had one call up saying he was from "Windows" so I told him we had Apples. An hour later the idiot called back, same number on caller ID, and said he was from Apple! My hubby said I had to much fun with both calls.
              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

I had a woman who fell for the microsoft call scam and when I told her it had been a scam she started to cry.
                Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                  I had a woman who fell for the microsoft call scam and when I told her it had been a scam she started to cry.
                  I'm in the habit to contact all of my elderly neighbors immediately after I get these calls, explaining that this is happening and that they should just hang up. Luckily no one I know has been burned by this yet.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                    I had one call up saying he was from "Windows" so I told him we had Apples. An hour later the idiot called back, same number on caller ID, and said he was from Apple! My hubby said I had to much fun with both calls.
                    "Sorry, I don't have Windows or Apple. I run Linux."
                    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                      We're Microsoft and we're here to help
                      A friend of mine got taken in by that and was half way through the call before they called me to query it. Too late, the damage had been done, and the bastards had already locked my friend out of their computer.

The scammers got a serve right then, and I heard it all. Right down to screaming that "the f***ing coppers are gonna be on arse so hard you won't be able to sit down". I near lost it when I heard that one.

Fortunately, being WinXP, I was able to cheat my way around the user authentication by using the setup disc and resetting passwords while doing a recovery install.
                      Last edited by MadMike; 08-09-2014, 12:55 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting
                      Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

Oh, I still love playing with the Windows scammers. Things I've done to them:

--Convince them that the site they want me to go to is returning a 503 error (problem with their servers)
                        --Tell them the message from the website says something like, "Your provider has denied access to this site...[ect]"
                        --Read Lovecraft to them. Curently on "Pickman's Model"
                        --Refuse to continue unless they can tell me my current IP address, since they "tracked the virus to my computer"
                        --Suddenly switch to Japanese (via Google translate) reading from translated Drudge Report page
                        --Insist that they like my (non-existant) Facebook page before we continue.
                        --Tell them that they're shaming their ancestors, and asking how their grandmother feels about them being thieves.
                        --In my most pleasant voice, suggest various animal copulations their father must have perpetrated to have come up with such a tragic failure of a human being.

Oddly, I haven't had a call from them in over a month. The last one ended with a "supervisor" trying to convince me to hang up because "your computer is about to explode!".
                        Last edited by Geek King; 08-07-2014, 05:41 PM.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                          Oh, I still love playing with the Windows scammers. Things I've done to them:
                          (snip)
                          Haaay, hyu iz a schmott guy, Geek King! Hyu is doink Gott's vork!
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

One of these days I'm going to lead them on and "accidentally" tell them "my" IP address.

Said address? 127.0.0.1

Wonder how many suckers I'll get with that.
                            I AM the evil bastard!
                            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                              One of these days I'm going to lead them on and "accidentally" tell them "my" IP address.

Said address? 127.0.0.1

Wonder how many suckers I'll get with that.
                              Probably a lot. Most of the callers don't seem to actually know much about computers off the script. The one I asked about my IP address couldn't even give me a number in the valid range (0-255 or 0000-FFFF depending on what your provider uses)
                              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                              X