Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For a steak or other single-cut of meat like that I prefer it medium. Deliciously tender while the outside has that cooked flavor. No steak sauce.

For things like a hamburger I prefer it medium-well, just because with ground meat you do need to ensure that the entire thing is cooked, whereas with a steak only the exterior needs to be cooked for it to be safe to eat.

Hamburgers may get the steak sauce, depending on the hamburger. Its cheap meat though, just simple ground meat, and so the flavor of the meat is a much lesser quality than a nice cut of steak.

The best use of steak sauce though? Hashbrowns and/or scrambled eggs. Delicious!

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
      For things like a hamburger I prefer it medium-well, just because with ground meat you do need to ensure that the entire thing is cooked, whereas with a steak only the exterior needs to be cooked for it to be safe to eat.
      I will agree with this. My hamburgers are medium at the most rare.
      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

My ex-husband was raised in a 'well done' house.

When we first got married my parents had us over and grilled steaks. Dad doesn't ask anyone how they want their steak done, his house, his rules. If he's feeling generous he MIGHT do medium-rare, but it's mostly rare.

You should have seen my ex-husband's face when he cut into this steak. 21 years later and I *STILL* laugh when I think about it.

Good part is, he was trained right then and there that steak is to only be enjoyed at medium-rare at the most, and to this day can no longer tolerate a steak cooked by *his* dad.
        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Your dad is the most amazing man. My kind of man. Tell dad a chick on the internet says he's amazing.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
            Your dad is the most amazing man. My kind of man. Tell dad a chick on the internet says he's amazing.
            He does rock. And i'll tell him - it wouldn't be the first time.

Same rules apply at my house, but I tend not to have people over who don't already know this - so people who only eat well-done wouldn't come to my house anyway. Hell, I don't even think I'd have *friends* like that.

*shudder*
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

My FIL keeps offering my steak rarish. I just eat it anyhow. Actually (after three-four years) he's gotten to the point where he can cook what Whiskey's chart says is rare but steakhouses say is medium-rare. And most of us prefer it that way, not just me . I guess I should be impressed that he figured it out after maybe four tries to cook steak when I was there. Especially given that he was raised in a house where they ate steak medium or better.

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
                *ahem* I think you might not understand the difference between "blue" and "rare". I like my steak rare (actually at a steakhouse apparently I like medium-rare). I'm wussy enough to want it blood-heat all the way through.
                I know the difference , I just don't hear the term enough for it to really stick in my head.. Normally around here anything between raw and medium rare is considered just "rare"

Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
                  Speaking of A1.. I heard that a chef considers it an insult if you put A1 (or some other kind of sauce) on a steak prepared by them..Don't know if it's true or not.
                  My dad says "steak sauce is for people who don't like steak"

I can't stand steak sauce. I like my steak medium; I don't like it blood red but I don't want shoe leather either. A little salt and baked potato with butter is all that goes on it. Yum. (Burgers, on the other hand, I get well done. I once got a really thick burger that was so red in the middle I still can't eat it if it's pink.)

My dad used to know a guy who ordered his steak blue: "Just run the cow by the table and I'll take a bite."
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                    My dad used to know a guy who ordered his steak blue: "Just run the cow by the table and I'll take a bite."
                    this is me every time. dont even bother killing it first, ill just attack it with my face and eat.

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post

Same rules apply at my house, but I tend not to have people over who don't already know this - so people who only eat well-done wouldn't come to my house anyway. Hell, I don't even think I'd have *friends* like that.

*shudder*
                      I guess I won't be stopping by for dinner any time soon.

I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                        I guess I won't be stopping by for dinner any time soon.

Welllllll....for YOU, I'd make an exception. Could we compromise at Medium-Well?

Comment

Sure.

Funny story: A bunch of years ago, two friends and I went to the Brewers' annual awards dinner. The entree was beef tips. Cooked medium rare-ish. I ate them, no problems, even though I prefer my beef cooked extremely well done. My friends gagged and ate a lot of bread.
                          Last edited by Bella_Vixen; 09-13-2010, 01:51 AM.
                          I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                          X