Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given that IT service desk workers are considered "essential employees," we're NOT closed today. That said, I called my boss and told her I'm not coming in, as I don't want to risk my safety on the roads later today. I'll have to make up the hours this weekend, but it is what it is.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth iPanda View Post
      we got milk, eggs and LOTS of junk food OTL
      our priorities when it comes to food, I swear...
      but we got water C:
      I was going to grab bread, but by the time the hordes died down last night there was nothing left except one 2-pound loaf of white bread (I wanted to get it but mom didn't think we would eat it before it went stale). We have fruit, junk food, lots of dry/canned stuff, frozen stuff we can cook up (gas stove) if the power goes out, and some milk (again, I was going to pick some up last night but never got a chance).

It's mostly wind and rain right now and we have flashlights and candles; they're shutting the MBTA down at 2 PM. For some reason it's freezing in the apartment. I guess I am working this afternoon (hopefully things will be quiet).
      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 10-29-2012, 02:49 PM.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

We're all buttoned up here. Didn't have to do a lot of shopping, bread and coldcuts mostly. Put some BIIIIG tubs of water in the chest freezer so that if when the power goes we can keep the fridge cold. Lots of candles. Lots of books. My aunt was supposed to have her knee replace tomorrow, but that obviously isn't happening. Though they didn't officially cancel until a few minutes ago. My cousin's an AM driver for UPS, and as of now they're still working tomorrow. I sincerely doubt they actually are, but....
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Baltimore here.

Work closed today, we'll see what happens for tomorrow.

Just been steady "normal" rain and wind so far. Not too thrilled about what's coming up.

As a first time homeowner (bought this place about year ago), I'm (probably needlessly) worried about a lot of things.

Just let this pass so I can see it will all be okay. (Or not. )

Comment

Raining off and on here by BookstoreEscapee and I. Wind appears to have picked up a little bit since last night. I want to make a trip to the beach, but the police seem to disagree with me on facebook.

Still waiting for it to really hit.
            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

11am and I still have power. Yay! All bus and rail service has been suspended until further notice and my workplace is closed today.
              I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

It is not supposed to hit till, later, I don't know how bad it will really get here. I called in, because, although it is fine now, if it does get bad, I don't want to drive home in it, or get stuck there with no place to stay. If I lived in town, I would of risked it but I live a half hour away, and its back roads. I usually attempt it, but today I was like screw it, Its not worth it. The place won't go down because I am not there folding clothes. LOL. Now that I called in, it won't be that bad, and I will look silly.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                  Why the bloody heck do you ignore such an evacuation notice?

I was about to ask the legal penalty of ignoring such a notice but given the nature of the storm I doubt those people will need to worry about a legal penalty if they keep acting like hopeful Darwin Award winners.
                  There aren't any; they can't force you to leave. They just make it clear that if you stay and you have problems, you are on your own. They will not send out emergency services to those areas after whatever time they set for people to be evacuated. (They're also trying to guilt people into leaving while they still can by reminding them that if they have to be rescued they are putting the rescuers' lives in danger as well.)

Oddly enough, my windows don't have much water on them; the rain seems to be coming down fairly straight. It is getting windier, though.

They just showed a reporter on the boardwalk in one of the shore towns near me (Sea Bright, maybe? [for Greenday's reference, at least]) and stuff kept flying by...I'm pretty sure it's bits of seafoam.

My work opened this morning; I am logged in remotely from my couch. As long as the power stays on for a few more hours I can get my Monday stuff done. They just sent an email (at 10:49) that they were closing at 11, and to call the Inclement Weather Hotline after 8:00 tonight to see about tomorrow.

And they just talked to a reporter somewhere who was saying she just lost her hat and it flew off into the "lovely puddle" behind her...which judging by the water line on her boots is at least 10 inches deep just where she was standing. There is a canal behind her but you can't tell where the canal ends and the ground begins.

I am also amusing myself by posting snarky comments on Facebook when the newspeople say something dumb.

Gov. Christie just mentioned the National Guard Armory that's right across the street from my complex. They were busy bees yesterday afternoon when I went out.
                  Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 10-29-2012, 04:15 PM. Reason: afterthoughts
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

As you all know, I am on the other side of the mountains from the coast. We are being battered wth not only what gets over the mountains from Sandy, but a storm coming from the west the is bringing freezing temps. That and what is coming down from Lake Erie. So far a lot of cold rain. It is supposed to change over to snow tonight. We will see.

Little Bits is in the mountains and is under Blizzard Warnings. I have told her to be safe and to stay on campus if at all possible. The only time she may have to leave campus would be on Thurday (if there is school) for her classroom observations.

Comment

BE, it was Pier Village. Sea Bright flooded out yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHBQAdeEkFk&feature=plcp - North Long Branch near Sea Bright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9GKbd__yck&feature=plcp - My normal filming spot in Long Branch.

Me at the beach this morning (attached) to spare people with slower internets.
                      Attached Files
                      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post

I dont mind the working, its the leaving the family. I personally love working during storms. A lottery is an interesting idea. Generally if it gets bad enough here, the hospital breaks out the cots in the meeting rooms and everyone hunkers down and signs up for extra shifts.
                        Since I live on the Gulf coast, every spring they create a ride out team and a recovery team. All essential people at my hospital (and most others) must be on one or the other. No one in the ER wants to be on the recovery team after Ike so they had to do a lottery to pick the ride out team and everyone else is recovery. Either way, you'll be at work for 4 or 5 days minimum; at least the ride out team starts with hot water and toilets.

We have to plan in advance and assume the worst for this sort of thing because our hurricanes (when they hit, looking at you Rita) are bad. The only tropical storm whose name was retired hit Houston and caused billions in damages. Ike had people out of power for a month.
                        Last edited by trailerparkmedic; 10-29-2012, 04:41 PM.

Comment

One of my CWs was saying last night that given we are in a state of emergency, anyone who shows up for work until it's lifted should be paid double (I think only three of us live within a no-driving-required distance).
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                            BE, it was Pier Village. Sea Bright flooded out yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHBQAdeEkFk&feature=plcp - North Long Branch near Sea Bright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9GKbd__yck&feature=plcp - My normal filming spot in Long Branch.

Me at the beach this morning (attached) to spare people with slower internets.
                            Anthony Johnson reporting live from Long Branch right now! Are you there?

Wow, look at those waves.

He's talking to a kid who's probably about 11 and asked what she thinks; she said, "I've never seen this before."

Now they just went to the other guy with the seafoam flying by; he's in Seaside Heights...huddling against the side of a building (when he's not out demonstrating the power of the wind).
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

We're here. Roof is leaking (Seraph is not happy right now), but that's all that's a problem right now. They're canceling school for tomorrow, and husband just called to let me know they're all leaving early, and that they're closing work for tomorrow.

My only observation right now is in honor of Ollie Williams.

ITS RAININ SIDEWAYS.
                              By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                                Anthony Johnson reporting live from Long Branch right now! Are you there?

Wow, look at those waves.

He's talking to a kid who's probably about 11 and asked what she thinks; she said, "I've never seen this before."

Now they just went to the other guy with the seafoam flying by; he's in Seaside Heights...huddling against the side of a building (when he's not out demonstrating the power of the wind).
                                Channels 9, 4, and 5 were there at Pier Village.

Wind was super strong. Hard to walk against.

Power has been flickering now off and on. I fully expect it to go off for good soon. And then I'll be trapped with my parents, aunt, and two little cousins.

Comment

Working...
                                X