This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a new phone?

So I've been eligible for a phone upgrade for a while now. But I'm not sure what to get... It needs to be an AT&T phone for the particular plan I'm on. I would like a smart phone seeing as how I'm always going on the internet when I'm not around my computer. Texting is not too big of a deal, I'm one of rare types that actually uses a phone to call people. So any recommendations? I had been thinking the new Samsung Galaxy, but I'm not sure yet.... I won't need the new phone for a few weeks, so there's plenty more time for me to do research, but another person's opinion is always nice.
    Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

The Galaxy is a really nice phone. I am partial to HTC, myself. AT&T (lucky you, not so lucky me) has a lock on the One X and the future One X+.

The current offerings for each are very close. Here's a side by side comparison at Gizmag. Bafflingly, the Galaxy is only dual core in North America, but quad core everywhere else. However, the Galaxy also gets twice the RAM (likely to compensate for having only half the power). On paper, they're nearly identical.

Alternately, there's also the iPhone. I don't care for the Apple walled-garden approach to apps, personally.

Phone Arena has a Galaxy vs iPhone article if you don't already have a preference. Apple wins the ease of use category, but Samsung is far and away more feature-rich and customizable. The Galaxy doesn't have the slick design of the iPhone but it boasts a larger screen.

Call-wise, the phones tend to perform pretty well and pretty equally across the board.

It's worth noting that I am not mentioning any of the Windows phones. I honestly don't know enough about them to give reasonable advice. Hopefully someone else will come by who has some experience on that end.

For what I have mentioned, however, your best option is to go to a store and play with the different handsets. Figure out which one fits in your hands most comfortably, which one looks the best to your eyes, and which interface is more to your liking. Because, really, the interface is what truly separates the top contenders.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
      It's worth noting that I am not mentioning any of the Windows phones. I honestly don't know enough about them to give reasonable advice. Hopefully someone else will come by who has some experience on that end.
      I have a windows phone (first gen HTC but my fiance has the Nokia Lumia 800). If you are interested in a windows I'd wait until Win 8 phones are released as the 7.5's are not being upgraded to 8 (they are being upgraded to 7.8 but Microsoft have been a bit relucant to say what this gives us aside from cosmetic things). The Nokia Lumia 920 looks like a nice bit of kit and is what my fiance is likely to upgrade to himself when he has things a bit more sorted, the screen is like the 800 which is very nice to use, more details here. Also on AT&T is the Windows Phone 8X by HTC (specs here)and the Nokia Lumia 820 (Specs here) which is the lower cost version of the 920. I don't know much about these personally but the HTC HD7 (my phone) is a solid phone and the camara is very good.
      Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

I'm about to change phones as well and am on AT&T currently so that's where I did my research:

The One X and the S3 are fairly similar in most aspects, however I was leaning in the direction of the One X for a couple reasons, the main one being that I like HTC. However, I have one big problem:
        I recently got my hands on the S3 and it's HUGE. Seriously, It's larger than I can reliably operate with one hand, and that ended up striking the S3 and the One X from my list officially.

It looks like I will be going with the Moto M on Verizon (my brother just switched to VZW, their service is massively superior in NYC, so I'll join him on a plan there). Anyone that has any input on the Moto M I would love to hear it.

Comment

I love, love, love my Galaxy.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. This is actually really helping since I have next to no experience picking out my own phone. I do know that battery life won't be too big a problem, seeing how my schedual often involves me sitting near an outlet for an extended period of time.

I'm looking forward to researching each phone suggested. Although, I'm still very much leaning toward the Galaxy, I really appreciate everyone's input so far, it really helps!
            Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

I got the Galaxy SIII last month, and while I am still learning it and getting used to some things, such as not having a physical keyboard (which would be the case on just about any smart phone, really), all in all I have to say I have been pretty happy with it.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

I've got a Galaxy Nexus III and love it. It's unlocked so I can switch carriers at any time, great screen, fantastic camera, does just about anything I want.

Oh. The phone calls are also quite good.

B
                "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

I love my HTC one x. And I was a long time apple fan girl. There was a slight learning curve but it's awesome. Plus, huge screen FTW!
                  Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                  Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

I have a droid I don't know how I ever got along without.

Comment

BTW: Worth checking if they have Swype preinstalled, as it is seriously an amazing app, and you have to side load it if it doesn't come installed.
                      Last edited by thansal; 11-12-2012, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X