This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this be a weird thing to do?

Ok, recently I've emailed the mayor of my town about starting a "MakerSpace", because a friend of mine has one near him and he loves it.

Well, the mayor was interested, and got the Arts Commission involved. They asked me to give a small presentation, and I did, and I think it went well.

The problem is, we'd be starting at zero. So I was thinking of ways I could help, in my limited capacity with everything else I have going on right now.

I was considering emailing some businesses that could provide equipment that could be used at the MakerSpace to make things. I was going to ask them if they would consider donating equipment when the place gets set up. In exchange, we could put up signs that say things like "This equipment donated by..." or "We extend our thanks to the following for their generous donations..."

Something like that. I wouldn't be doing it as an official representative, but as my way to help out.

I wouldn't want the entities thinking I was trying to scam them out of equipment, but my buddy tells me that some of the equipment that they use at their MakerSpace was donated to them.

Would this be a weird thing to do? I'm thinking about following up with the Arts commission first, and seeing if they'll do it, since they're already looking into seeing what it would take to start a MakerSpace here.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I had to look up what a "MakerSpace" was, LOL. It sounds very interesting, and definitely worthwhile!

If you're not going to be an "official" representative, I would definitely suggest you contact the Arts Commission first, to see if they are going to do this (or even if they're aware this is one way of getting supplies and equipment ...) You want to make sure that there is no duplication of efforts ... that's a really good way to make people very suspicious about what you're doing.

Let them know you're interested in helping out, though. They'll probably be only too happy to take you up on it.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I would not do it as an unofficial position. I would ask the Mayor and the Arts Commission first. There may be guidelines that you need to follow.

Good luck and keep us posted.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Yeah, definitely get the mayor and the rest of those folks involved, but no, it's not weird at all. They might get some of those companies to sign up as sponsors, which is just another way for those companies to get brownie points in the community and keep their names out there. Some companies actually have funds set aside for charity, community involvement and whatnot, so the cost of any equipment could possible come out of that. It's a trade off - your space gets the equipment and their company gets publicity.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
        X