Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, the all-time classic "Bucket of Steam" trick. It's been around for quite some time, now. Heck, my grandad used to pull that one on apprentices when he was working on truck engines during Wolrd War II !

Elbow grease, and glass mallet I knew of, tray of electrons I can guess, but I wonder what the long weight is...
    "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
      but I wonder what the long weight is...
      I'll tell you in a bit.
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
        I'll tell you in a bit.
        You're a magnificent Bastard, Legs. That caught me for about 30 seconds.

Comment

Quoth Salted Grump View Post
          You're a magnificent Bastard, Legs. That caught me for about 30 seconds.
          Thank You, I'm here all week!

Comment

Oh, I got it. Quite the good pun, I like it. I liked "Go to Ellen Waite for any complaint", from another thread, too. Still didn't get Robin Steele, though. Anybody willing to enlighten me on this one ?
            "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

You have alot more control that I do. I no doubt would have started laughing at him!
              "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
              ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
                Still didn't get Robin Steele, though. Anybody willing to enlighten me on this one ?
                Rob & Steal...

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                  Imagine my surprise when I was wandering through a dollar store and actually FOUND Elbow Grease! I might still have that picture on my cell phone, but I'm not sure...
                  Quoth AdvancedFlea View Post
                  ...You are kidding me?! if you have that picture, it is your duty to post it! lol
                  Ask, and ye shall receive. Elbow Grease.

(A racier version is here: Elbow Grease.)
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                    computer jokes: co-worker tried to piss me off once... he snuck behind my computer and disconnected the ethernet cable. he was hoping i'd act like an SC and jump up screaming when i couldn't web-surf...

... he was sooooo disappointed... I opened a command line window, typed in tracert www.google.com and saw that i wasn't even getting to the switch... looked at the computer and found the disconnected cable, all in less than 5 minutes. without even getting mad.
                    People used to do that when I was in college, they would reach behind the desk and pull out various things. the ethernet cable, monitor power cable, VGA lead, even the power cable, if the person pissed you off enough.

good god, I wish I was there too see the look on said supervisors face lol
                    Last edited by MadMike; 06-01-2008, 03:03 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting
                    -The one, The Only, AdvancedFlea-

Stick that in your blog and smoke it.

A guide for customers about retail

Comment

My favorite one to do to people who think they know a lot about computers because they have their A+ (or whatever similar certification) is to tell them I need a cable stretcher because the cables aren't quite long enough.

This works really well at stores where the employees pretend to know a lot about computers but they really don't know squat. It's fun to see how long it takes them to realize you're messing with them.

It's also fun to do to college kids starting out on their computer degrees.

However, my absolute favorite thing to do is to get an old (preferrably broken) computer mouse and put it in a small paper bag. Then, with bag and mouse in hand, you go to a store that sells computer mice (most electronics and computer stores). When an employee comes up to you and asks if they can help you, you hold up the paper bag and say:

"Yeah, I have a dead mouse..."

I've done this several times and the reaction is always the same: a look of horror on their face () and a GIANT step backwards!

You also get the same response when you leave it on your desk at work and a coworker asks what's in the bag.

Most of the time they have a good sense of humor about it and laugh when I pull it out of the bag to show them.

Comment

LOL! This story reminds me of one I heard a few years ago about the famous blackout in the Northeastern U.S. in 1965. (If you're too young to remember this, here's a refresher: http://blackout.gmu.edu/events/tl1965.html )

Anyway, in the story I heard, a boy whacked a telephone pole with a big stick, and coincidentally immediately after that, the blackout hit. This boy was convinced that the entire blackout was his fault! Several hours went by and he was feeling more and more guilty, so he finally confessed to his mother what he had done. Naturally his mom laughed her head off.

Comment

Quoth Darkwish View Post
                          My favorite one to do to people who think they know a lot about computers because they have their A+ (or whatever similar certification) is to tell them I need a cable stretcher because the cables aren't quite long enough.

This works really well at stores where the employees pretend to know a lot about computers but they really don't know squat. It's fun to see how long it takes them to realize you're messing with them.

It's also fun to do to college kids starting out on their computer degrees.

However, my absolute favorite thing to do is to get an old (preferrably broken) computer mouse and put it in a small paper bag. Then, with bag and mouse in hand, you go to a store that sells computer mice (most electronics and computer stores). When an employee comes up to you and asks if they can help you, you hold up the paper bag and say:

"Yeah, I have a dead mouse..."

I've done this several times and the reaction is always the same: a look of horror on their face () and a GIANT step backwards!

You also get the same response when you leave it on your desk at work and a coworker asks what's in the bag.

Most of the time they have a good sense of humor about it and laugh when I pull it out of the bag to show them.
                          ...I have had someone play the "dead mouse" one on me a few times *glares at you* evil. pure evil ¬.¬ guy walks up to my counter, drops his bag on the desk and says "inside there is a dead mouse. he died a few days ago but I've just not got around to burrying him yet. where can I get a replacement for him?" to which I reply " o.o; Might I suggest PetSmart?" so what does he do? up-ends the bag. I'm expecting a dead rodent to hit the counter when I hear a plastic clatter. I look up, the buy is grinning widely and there is a USB mouse lying there on the counter. I'll never forget that one

Quoth Music Mo-Gal View Post
                          LOL! This story reminds me of one I heard a few years ago about the famous blackout in the Northeastern U.S. in 1965. (If you're too young to remember this, here's a refresher: http://blackout.gmu.edu/events/tl1965.html )

Anyway, in the story I heard, a boy whacked a telephone pole with a big stick, and coincidentally immediately after that, the blackout hit. This boy was convinced that the entire blackout was his fault! Several hours went by and he was feeling more and more guilty, so he finally confessed to his mother what he had done. Naturally his mom laughed her head off.
                          Ha! Poor kid! allthough I did somthing simalar a few years ago. I came downstairs and into our kitchen after having decided I want some toast. I don't know why, but I remember the kitchen light going out, then re-fireing (one of those flourescent strip lights that take time to come back on) this wasn't unusual for the old light to do that, the ballast was on it's way out...but this was a new light. not that I made THAT connection at the time.

so I get to bits of bread, and drop them om the toaster. Push the toaster button down and all of a sudden "BZZNAT...BANG!" as one of the eliments breaks in the toaster and the kitchen is plunged into darkness. I hear "Bleeeep-BIP-BIP!" as the house alarm switches over to its own emergancy backup battery and I realise that it's not just the kitchen, there's no light coming in from the street, so the powert must have gone out...and me blowing the toaster MUST have caused it. Naturally, being 6 at the time, I ran screaming to my mum who, while being annoyed that was another toaster had blown (we had gone through a sucsession of them) re-assured me that it wasn't my fault.

I still maintain to this day that when the toaster's eliement broke and earthed, that was the straw that broke the camels back and, allthough the power was going to go out anyway, that was what actually caused the high voltage fuse at the subtation to blow

Comment

Sigh - why does nobody ask for a benzene ring any more?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                              Sigh - why does nobody ask for a benzene ring any more?

Rapscallion
                              I know. It's a sad thing.

...I shall be sending rob to B&Q for one of those later >)

Comment

Quoth Music Mo-Gal View Post

Reminds me of the time my sister & I were hanging Christmas lights around some of the windows in the house. We were both kids (pre-teen) at the time, so this was a no-budget operation. To hang the lights, we'd uncoil a portion of the wiring between lights, then hook it over a thumbtack in the wall. We'd told my sister to not hit the insulation on the wire, so it was on the mind. She had just finished putting up a section of lights, when all the neighborhood power went out. She was convinced she had knocked out power to the town. Turned out there was a car wreck on the highway, about a mile away, and they took out a power pole. It sure got her attention, though.
                                That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Working...
                                X