This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drunken Potato Salad

My boyfriend and I had a short notice BBQ last night which sent us to the grocery store for supplies. Y'know the usual buns, fruit, paper plates, potato salad...

Well, I forgot to take the two tubs of salad out of the fridge for people to dig into. So back I went to the store today to return them (we're going out of town at the end of the week, the salads would just go bad).

CS = Customer Service Gal
    Me = No Longer the Stalker Magnet I once was
    DG = Drunk Guy (keep in mind it's 2:15 in the afternoon!)

Me: I bought these yesterday and forgot to serve them so I'd like to return them.
    CS: Ok
    DG: (off to the side) WHAT?!
    CS: I have to get change, I'll be right back.
    DG: You eat that stuff, you'll die. It'll kill you.
    Me: Yeah, I don't think so. (I wish I had just ignored him)
    DG: I wouldn't even give that shit to my kids!
    Me: Obviously I didn't serve it to my friends...
    CS: $9.68 back. Thank you.
    Me: Thanks. Good luck.
    DG: <incoherent ramblings I'm thankfully walking away from>

Oiy. Remind me not to go to the store on Sunday afternoon anymore.

Psst. Don't go to the store on Sunday afternoons anymore.

I find this a funny topic because I just made Potato Salad for BF last night. We're having BBQ tonight when I get off work and he wanted some.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Oh, come off it... Ron, "Tater Salad" White? Drunk? I don't believe you!
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

What *I* wanna know is if the Drunk's kiddo was named Tater Tot.
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
          DG: I wouldn't even give that shit to my kids!
          This line just pisses me off... If you don't think it's good enough for you, why the hell would you give it to your kids? <.<

As a note. Potato. Good for you.
          MMO Addicts group

Comment

I know you were in your rights to return the potato salad, but it always bothers me when I see customers return food items when nothing is wrong with them. The store now has to eat that loss, because food items cannot be resold. Sorry, but it really bothers me how much food waste our store has for entirely preventable situations.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              I know you were in your rights to return the potato salad, but it always bothers me when I see customers return food items when nothing is wrong with them. The store now has to eat that loss, because food items cannot be resold. Sorry, but it really bothers me how much food waste our store has for entirely preventable situations.
              Yeah, I find the idea kinda odd myself, even though you have the right to, I wouldn't, I'd just find some family or friends who'd eat the stuff and give it to them
              I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

A bit OT but it just popped into my head... Drunken Potato Salad.. "Tater Salad!" Ron White for the win.
                Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
                  Oiy. Remind me not to go to the store on Sunday afternoon anymore.
                  You think you had it bad?

Try WORKING in a store on Sunday afternoons.

I only show up because I get paid...time and a half.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth ShadedWings View Post
                    A bit OT but it just popped into my head... Drunken Potato Salad.. "Tater Salad!" Ron White for the win.
                    A-Hem! *points up at her first post*
                    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

At my store I won't take back items like that unless they can show that it was bad to begin with and before the date. If I can't be sure a perishable wasn't left out to spoil I won't re-sell it and I won't take the hit.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
                      ~Clerks

Comment

That was exactly my reaction to the story as well.

So eat the potato salad at another time, I mean, geez.
                        Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Potato Salad freezes pretty well.
                          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I did not know that the store has to eat the loss. I mean, it's in a plastic bin, with a seal inside the lid. I bought it the day before and the expiry wasn't for another 2 weeks.

I personally hate potato salad. Can't stand it. I'm not going to expect my boyfriend to eat 5 lbs of potato salad in the 5 days before we go to Boston (which I did mention).
                            Last edited by FenigDurak; 06-02-2008, 08:05 PM.

Comment

ITA. I would not return a perishable food item. That's just rude. If I have too much food after a party, I either make a guest take it home, or I bring it to work for the "gavones" to eat.

Comment

Working...
                              X