Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You want how much, no how much, are you sure?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry that you got my Dad as a customer Roscoe, he still tries to buy carburetor parts over the counter at Napa and the like and is aghast, AGHAST that they don't have it, or, SHOCK! MAY HAVE TO ORDER IT!!!!

At which point he tells them he'll just order it online and they lost a customer for not stocking "common" stuff.

I try to point out that the Model T was a common car, but you can't get parts from a Ford dealer for them anymore. To which he inevitably says "Yeah, but that's an antique, my car isn't that old!"

Yours is a 91', you could get antique plates for it right now in PA, what's that say!?
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
      "Backplane" I only hear the Navy use that term for an motherboard.
      It's a common term for the stuff at the back of a large chassis; the kind of thing you'd find with a bunch of rack-mount systems in. Modules that fit in those chassis are what my last couple of employers have built.
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
        NASA uses quite a lot of outdated computer hardware. (VERY outdated!) Certain parts of it have been known to buy old computers off evil-bay to raid for spare parts. Or at least that's the rumor I heard when I worked there...

Heck, when I started the Pioneer guys were doing data reduction on one of our mainframes, because it was actually from the early 60s when Pioneer was designed!!
        Yep, various parts of the government are still running obsolete hardware, according to this report. Some of the systems date back to the '60s, and never mind 5.25" floppy disks, some parts of the government still use the original 8" floppies! Now I'll admit to having a bunch of old computers, but at least I don't rely them for critical business applications..........
        -Adam
        Obsolete tech nerd
        Last edited by AdamAnt316; 12-21-2017, 05:11 AM.
        Goofy music!
        Old tech junk!

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          Yours is a 91', you could get antique plates for it right now in PA, what's that say!?
          I could possibility impress him. I had some old codger come in looking for an old timey '60s round ignition coil for his cobbled together (eng/trans/body/induction all from different models/years non oem) humpmobile when I was at AZ Auto Parts.

He launches into a life story of making this to the kid at the counter who's just there slack jawed where to start in the computer. I was walking by, stopped asked if he wanted a one or 2 wire, he stammered for a answer forgetting there's more then one, said one I guess, I just grab a ladder and w/o the computer get the right one.
          Yea after that he would only deal with me.
          Oh a 4bbl quadrajunk? No prob-what kind choke?
          Last edited by EricKei; 12-21-2017, 09:07 PM. Reason: snip
          AkaiKitsune
          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

... No prob-what kind choke?
            Erm... modified?
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Oh a 4bbl quadrajunk? No prob-what kind choke?
              Both hands, until he either turns blue or stops talking.
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

For some folks that own and drive "classic" cars/trucks that factory stamp on the part can make the difference in some situations.
                My youngest brother has a WWII Jeep that was made by Ford. Absolutely every part has Ford stamped on it. At a car show his and another Jeep came down to parts and brother lost because a few bolts on his didn't have the Ford stamp. I thought he was gonna cry.
                I wouldn't call a 2001 car a classic and would most likely get parts on line. There are bunches and bunches of online dealers for classic car part. Heck you can buy anything you need to build a brand new never titles been on the road A body Mustangs and Camaros. It's just a matter of how thick you wallet it.

On only tech, when my boss retired we cleaned out his basement of old DEC, IBM and PC parts. We hauled off multiple truck loads of stuff to store in our once garage. We went through and sorted out what we had and sold a bunch online. Old PLC parts are worth their weight in gold now. Heck even old phone switch parts are worth a lot.
                Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Of aged, the big promaster work vans in the the last 10 years were made by Mercedes-Benz, freighthauler now dodge. So yea vin matters and just because we do it now, doesn't mean we do them all.
                  AkaiKitsune
                  Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                    Not much really. There's an El Camino up the street with antique tags on it. It's not an antique, it's a piece of shit. It has those tags on it because there's no way in hell it would get through the state's safety check (and Allegheny County's emissions test). Antique tags never expire, so they're dodging the registration fee too. Like I said, it's a piece of shit--rusty as hell, lots of Bondo, duct tape, etc. You can see the stop signs for floors, some of which are pulling away again.

But to add to what Tanasi said, I've tried to keep my '70 MGB GT as "original" as I can, or at least close to it. Problem is, that some of the correct parts are annoyingly hard to find now, and the quality just isn't there.

Electrical stuff is pretty bad. It's all made in some open-air "factory" in China. While there are a lot of Lucas jokes (e.g., Joe Lucas invented the short circuit. What are the 3 positions on a Lucas light switch? Dim, Flicker, and Off., etc.) at least their stuff could be taken apart and repaired or cleaned. The new stuff, while it looks similar, is shit. I've had brand-new switches fall apart or short out--you haven't lived until you're about to turn left, flip the turn signal, and get a nice pyrotechnic display a few inches above your nuts Luckily, there wasn't any major damage--to the car or myself.

But not having the proper stamp on a bolt? I knew the concours crowd was a bit anal about it, but are you kidding me? Up until recently, my car still had its factory-applied bolts in its suspension. While they looked OK, I had no idea as to their condition. Such bolts usually get all sorts of fatigue over the years. During the front end suspension rebuild, I replaced everything with upgraded fasteners. It wasn't worth taking a chance, IMHO.
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth RichS View Post
                      One of the reasons I go to Amazon is that there's a bunch of Toyota dealers that offer factory parts for cheap; it's great that I can find new parts that aren't in parts stores available for my 11 year old Scion.
                      Did that when we had to have the engine rebuilt because the head gaskets blew (Mom didn't realize she was weaning the car from oil. . . heehee) and found the kit for our little 1992 Corolla for $45 plus shipping.

The car was back on the road within 2 weeks of ordering it as soon as James could get to us to get the engine worked on and the gaskets installed. The car has been running fine since (this happened around 2007 or so.)
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth AdamAnt316 View Post
                        Yep, various parts of the government are still running obsolete hardware, according to this report. Some of the systems date back to the '60s, and never mind 5.25" floppy disks, some parts of the government still use the original 8" floppies! Now I'll admit to having a bunch of old computers, but at least I don't rely them for critical business applications..........
                        -Adam
                        Obsolete tech nerd
                        When I did medical transcription in an in-house department, we used word processors that had 8 inch floppies and CPT 8508 word processors. I figured out ways to use the insert key on the keyboard to input shortcuts, and my boss said I was lazy? Lazy? I could type 1000 lines per shift, which was way more than everyone else could, and she called me "lazy". This was 1990 to 1994.

Anyway, last summer I had to order a side mirror assembly for my 95 Geo Metro, as someone though it was funny to go down the street ripping mirrors off vehicles one night. I usually didn't park my car on the street, but the city was putting in sidewalks on our side of the road, so I was parked across the street. The replacement mirror assembly for my car was $27 off the internet including shipping, and it took me and Turtleguy 15 minutes to put it on. I can't imagine how much that would have cost if I'd had to have it done at a mechanic.

Comment

Quoth Sparklyturtle View Post
                          Anyway, last summer I had to order a side mirror assembly for my 95 Geo Metro, as someone though it was funny to go down the street ripping mirrors off vehicles one night. I usually didn't park my car on the street, but the city was putting in sidewalks on our side of the road, so I was parked across the street. The replacement mirror assembly for my car was $27 off the internet including shipping, and it took me and Turtleguy 15 minutes to put it on. I can't imagine how much that would have cost if I'd had to have it done at a mechanic.

OOOOHHHHH Junk/Salvage yards ARE MY FRIEND. Same situation with my previous car except I took it off sliding past a trash bin in the snow. bye bye mirror. Hello local junk yard. $30 and 15 minutes of time the majority was reconnecting the electric connection block and redoing 3 screws/bolts
                          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

This time is was my counterpart in Chebby-let for a key on her new jeep.
                            Well Chebby keys are only $30-40 not 80 are you sure? It's the one w/o remote...I'm like well good for them that's why I have one.
                            Yes the remote key is $100 more.
                            AkaiKitsune

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                              OOOOHHHHH Junk/Salvage yards ARE MY FRIEND. Same situation with my previous car except I took it off sliding past a trash bin in the snow. bye bye mirror. Hello local junk yard. $30 and 15 minutes of time the majority was reconnecting the electric connection block and redoing 3 screws/bolts
                              My car doesn't have electrical connections in the mirrors. If I want to adjust the mirror I have to roll the window down and reach out into the rain. Oh, yes, I also have to hand-crank the windows, and prop the tailgate open with a stick because it won't stay open by itself.

Comment

Quoth Sparklyturtle View Post
                                My car doesn't have electrical connections in the mirrors. If I want to adjust the mirror I have to roll the window down and reach out into the rain. Oh, yes, I also have to hand-crank the windows, and prop the tailgate open with a stick because it won't stay open by itself.
                                My post was just one of the latest repairs I have made with salvage yard parts. this includes window motors, window cranks (manual and electric), doors, dashboards, window glass, various engine parts, clutch cables, radiators, door handles and more that I can not remember.

Enough auto parts (say body parts) these days are designed and made to be easily removed/installed with not much effort or specialized tools.

Heck I have had to jury-rig a door opener with some fence wire and a pair of plyers.
                                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                                X