This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein I am Incredibly Rude to a Customer

This happened sometime before Black Friday.

I asked a customer, "Is there anything I can help you find today?"

"God, will you stop asking me that! I'm in here every day and you ask me every time."

I apologized for being "rude" and I told my HR manager later on how rude I was.

"I've also been rude to customers every day since I started here," I said. "I don't know why you put up with me."
    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

And you just know that if you didn't ask them if they needed anything, they'd also complain about you being rude. Ooh wee.

Comment

It's funny because I've had more customers actually surprised that I talk to them at all. Not me specifically but any employee period.

Comment

No good deed goes unpunished. Some people have too much time on their hands, too much time to be offended.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

If a store clerk asks if they can help you multiple times, and follows you around, and won't let off, that's rude. If they ask once, and walk away when you say "No", it isn't.

Generally speaking, those who make a big scene about being "harassed" by employees while they "shop" (especially if an employee only asks once, and politely, if they need assistance) are up to no good.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
            If a store clerk asks if they can help you multiple times, and follows you around, and won't let off, that's rude. If they ask once, and walk away when you say "No", it isn't.

Generally speaking, those who make a big scene about being "harassed" by employees while they "shop" (especially if an employee only asks once, and politely, if they need assistance) are up to no good.
            That's a pretty good bet.

At worst I might ask the same person twice because I honestly forget who I asked and I'd rather ask someone twice then not ask anyone at all.

Comment

Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post
              It's funny because I've had more customers actually surprised that I talk to them at all. Not me specifically but any employee period.
              That's cuz servants aren't meant to talk to their betters, silly! XD
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

This is akin to those YouTube videos where people get REALLY agitated when the door greeter at WalMart asks to see their receipt, and they flat-out refuse, using the "That's ILLEGAL!" card. Dude, it'd take you all of TEN SECONDS to fish it out of your pocket and show the guy, so unless you have something to hide, there's no reason to go on a ten-minute tirade about it (replete with threats about how "This is all going on YouTube, and you're gonna get yo' asses FIRED!").
                Last edited by Monterey Jack; 01-05-2018, 01:12 PM.

Comment

This is akin to those YouTube videos where people get REALLY agitated when the door greeter at WalMart asks to see their receipt, and they flat-out refuse,
                  I have a backpack (My manbag). I hate anyone looking in it. (Really really hate that). So I don't take it into shops with me. I leave it in the car - often locked in the boot (trunk).

I take a small metal wallet with my credit cards in it so I can pay for any purchases.

I never have to complain about staff wanting to look in my bag. *Never*

Comment

I carry a backpack wherever I go (I don't own a car, so I need somewhere to stash my stuff), and I don't have a problem with some employee wanting a peek inside. It's just unzip it, let them take a look, zip it back up, and go. Takes all of fifteen seconds. Thankfully, I'm such a regular at my favorite haunts that I rarely get asked to see inside it anymore.

And it's a different story if someone has a huge carriage overflowing with groceries and merchandise, and they're ADAMANT about not slowing the receipt. WHY?! YouTube is filled with videos of these assholes dragging their phone out to "protect" themselves as they harass the poor door greeter for ten minutes on end and how "illegal" it is to ask, and about "profiling" and shit, and I'm like...dude, if you actually purchased everything in your cart, what is the point of all the drama? Show the fucking receipt, and leave the store, instead of clogging up the exit for half-an-hour ranting and raving for no good reason. Only people with something to hide refuse to produce a receipt when asked.

Comment

And it's a different story if someone has a huge carriage overflowing with groceries and merchandise, and they're ADAMANT about not slowing the receipt. WHY?! YouTube is filled with videos of these assholes dragging their phone out to "protect" themselves as they harass the poor door greeter for ten minutes on end and how "illegal" it is to ask, and about "profiling" and shit, and I'm like...dude, if you actually purchased everything in your cart, what is the point of all the drama? Show the fucking receipt, and leave the store, instead of clogging up the exit for half-an-hour ranting and raving for no good reason. Only people with something to hide refuse to produce a receipt when asked.
                      To this point, sometimes I go to my local Mart-of-Walls and buy something I can't really put in a bag. When I am leaving the store, I have my receipt in my hand, just in case the greeter wants to see it. I'm happy to show it to them.
                      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

When I worked at the wholesale club, we checked EVERYONE'S receipt. So no one could accuse us of "profiling," but people did try to pull the "that's illegal" card, and specifically referenced the Bill of Rights, claiming "illegal search/seizure."

Then we pointed out that the Fourth Amendment protects them from the government, but that as a private company, the wholesale club doesn't require a warrant/etc., and furthermore, by shopping at the store, they give consent to the search.

The complainers still weren't happy, but they stopped using the "illegal search" angle.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Dude, it'd take you all of TEN SECONDS to fish it out of your pocket and show the guy, so unless you have something to hide, there's no reason to go on a ten-minute tirade about it (replete with threats about how "This is all going on YouTube, and you're gonna get yo' asses FIRED!").
                          Why am I not surprised? Locally, Wal-Mart tends to cater to society's lowest common denominator. Whenever I hear that threat, my usual reaction is "isn't there anything to do in your trailer park tonight?" Seriously, YouTube? Nobody takes those videos and the comment sections--both of which are heavily edited--as gospel.
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post
                            This happened sometime before Black Friday.

I asked a customer, "Is there anything I can help you find today?"

"God, will you stop asking me that! I'm in here every day and you ask me every time."
                            When I think of all times when I've walked in a store needing help, and been ignored-I wish I would have experienced "rude" service such as this

Comment

Quoth manda_panda View Post
                              When I think of all times when I've walked in a store needing help, and been ignored-I wish I would have experienced "rude" service such as this
                              I promise to go above and beyond with my rudeness if you're ever in my store. I'll be sure to use my favorite four letter F word: find.

Comment

Working...
                              X