Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 weird things about me... maybe I should have my boyfriend write this, he seems to think I'm exceedingly strange sometimes.

1. I cannot stand any 'drink' made with ice cream. This includes, but is not limited to floats, milkshakes, mudslides and brandy alexanders. Soft serve is right out, too. When I have ice cream I want it as close to rock hard as possible.

2. I have not owned a television for close to 15 years. I have had friends and family attempt to GIVE me televisions on multiple occasions, which I refused. My boyfriend owns two televisions, but they're only used to watch movies and play games. He doesn't have cable or satellite.

3. I have, quite literally, forgotten my own name while NOT under the influence of any type of mind altering chemical agents. I had to look at my driver's license to answer the nice lady's question.... She was almost as confused as I was, I think.

4. I don't have any ambitions toward being more wealthy than I need to be to cover bills, expenses and a bit left over to play with. My tastes are simple, and my expenses are minor. I don't WANT to have a big house, lots of cars, the latest fanciest gadgets, and so forth.

5. My sense of humor is skewed enough so that 80% or more of the people I know don't get most of my attempts at jokes and puns. I've learned not to try to explain them, either, as that only confuses them even more.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

1) I have an eclectic taste in music, and I can't stand listening to the same style for too long. When I have my Zune on random, I often get wierd looks as Judas Priest leads into an anime theme song (in Japanese), then Run-DMC, Hall & Oates, Night on Bald Mountain, Kenny Rodgers, and Rammstein.

2) I assembled a musical score for a Role-Playing Game I ran at a convention and got asked by every player for a list of the music I used.

3) I move really quietly for a guy my size (6' 4", not thin at all). I had a supervisor describe my coming up behind him unnoticed, "Like the back wall of the warehouse snuck up on me!"

4) My first choice for career was vetrinarian until I found that while I am good with animals, and can handle blood, the smell of infection makes me so nauseous that I can't function. I found this out while sitting in on a clogged scent gland surgery on a dog when I was in Vetrinary Explorers.

5) My emotions just sort of shut down in an emergency situation. I've been told I get very abrupt and blunt while giving orders to people, and deliver really nasty verbal slapdowns in a calm monotone to people who are (rightly) freaking out. My father, who saw this once when I was in Boy Scouts, said it scared him more to see me like that than when I was really raging, fighting mad. ...and he's worked retail longer than I've been alive.
      Last edited by Geek King; 07-14-2011, 05:14 PM.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        I have a similar quirk: I am completely right hand-dominant, but I shoot pool (billiards) left handed. Trying to shoot it right handed feels as awkward to me as trying to throw a ball or swing a bat left handed does. Everyone in my family is right handed, and no one knows why I shoot pool left handed.
        My husband and his younger brother both write hook-handed, like they were taught by a lefty how to write, despite the fact that both are very much right-handed, as are the rest of their family. No one knows why they write like that.

Quoth Jester View Post
        I have a phobia of bees and other similar flying stinger type insects. Not an allergy, not a healthy respect, an irrational terrifying phobia that has, on more than one occasion, caused this normally fearless guy to run like a little girl from one end of a bar (or yard, or whatever) to the other if I see one.
        I wonder if that's why this one guy I knew would scream and flail about whenever a simple little honeybee came near. I, in contrast, am perfectly calm around them, since I've only ever been stung when actively aggravating them (like the one time a bee got tangled in my skirt when I was a kid and I accidentally sat on it). This guy claimed he was highly allergic, to which my response was to practically growl at him, "Then stop making the bee mad at you!"
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

round 2:

a) I have VERY VERY Vivid dreams - and they can play out like movies; I don't always remember them though, just that it was vivid

b) I have Entomophobia (also known as insectophobia) - and the only thing that for me doesn't count as a "bug" are flutterbys (butterflys)

c) i don't like diamonds either - I think they're "empty" and "cold"...

d) if you ask me how to spell a word, I will mime writing or typing it out, as i tell you.

e) I still consider myself a gamer-geek girl, but I haven't played D&D or anyother tabletop RPG in 10 yrs; I do not consider computer games to be real RPG's....
          I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
            a) I have VERY VERY Vivid dreams - and they can play out like movies; I don't always remember them though, just that it was vivid
            Okay, time to do a round 2, since you reminded me of a really cool one.

6. Not only do I have VERY vivid dreams, most times I am consciously aware that I am dreaming and can change the course of the dream at will. Maybe it's because my imagination and creativity are so powerful, but I can literally control my dreams. My mind is my playground. I don't get nightmares, either. I used to, but when I learned how to control my dreams I could just make them go away. I think the sleep demons gave up on me, they've learned not to fuck with this girl's head. Also, I can wake up fully, then go back to sleep and back to the same dream.

7. When I was 11, I got boobs. Fairly typical for most girls, but being transgender, I'm hardly a "typical" girl. I got picked on a LOT. Luckily, that made me depressed and when I get depressed I eat, so I got fat and they weren't as obvious. When I got my hormone levels checked in May before I started HRT, I was not at all surprised to see how low my testosterone was (extremely low, and spread very, very thin). Probably why I had that particular... development in puberty. I also had slight curves, especially at my waistline and hips.

8. I have hypersensitive taste buds. Growing up, I was a constant pain in the ass to my parents, who told me to not be so picky. Everything had to be plain. I don't dislike veggies, there are some I can eat, but for the most part I gag as soon as they contact my tongue. If the taste is "buried" enough, it's okay. Condiments and dressings I can't do either, I think it's the bitterness of the vinegar. I can handle a little tiny spice (like, say something really wussy like taco seasoning), but anything hotter than mild hot sauce will set my tongue on fire and leave red bumps all over it.

9. My guilty pleasure is Britney Spears. I know she's a terrible singer, I know she's trashy and slutty, and so is her music, but I really, really enjoy listening to her. I don't know why. I wanted to hate her so bad... and I couldn't.

10. I like "stupid" physical comedy, pratfalls and such. Some guy getting nailed in the jewels will make me laugh every single time. I've been a fan of the Three Stooges for as long as I can remember. For that matter, I like a lot of vintage, vaudeville type comedy. "Who's on First?" is the single greatest comedy routine in history.
            "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Take 2
              6. I have to have my metal playlist playing on my iPod as I go to sleep.
              7. I had my first hamburger at a swim team cook out at about 12. I'd always had the option of chicken or hotdogs previously.
              8. I'm a knowledge junkie. I know a lot of random facts about my favorite series (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Supernatural, and more).
              9. When working at Organic Grocery Store I became vegan. I was vegan for only 6 months before I added dairy and eggs back into my diet. I wasn't a great vegan anyways and I loved cheese and milk too much. I was vegetarian for about 16 months before I started eating meat again.
              10. I'd much rather spend my money on books or dvd's then anything else. And I've already bought a fairly decent amount in the past 6 years.
              Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
              Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth Spork4pedro View Post
                5. I can wiggle my eyes. It's always fun in staring contests.
                So can I and you're so right.

Quoth Jester View Post
                I've eaten both raw at various times. If done right, de-licious!
                Yep. Who cooks tuna? I don't.

Quoth HappyFun Ball View Post
                2. I let my dog sleep with me.
                That was actually preferred when we live in NJ during the winter.

Let's see...

1) I've raised baby squirrels, and I have pictures to prove it.
                2) I've driven the entire length of US route 95 - from Miami, FL to Houlton, ME. I've also been on both ends of US Route 1 (Old Town, Key West, FL and Fort Kent, Maine - useless trivia alert - Route 1 "north" is actually going south at the end)).
                3) I once drove over 2,000 miles (both ways) to pick up a puppy.
                4) I think the Fifth Element and Hudson Hawk are great movies.
                5) I have some sort of precognitive ability. A phrase comes into my mind and within a minute I hear it somewhere (on TV, on the radio, someone will say it, etc.)
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar
                  4) I think the Fifth Element and Hudson Hawk are great movies.
                  Dude! The Fifth Element is one of the best movies ever in my opinion. And Hudson Hawk is quite good.
                  Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                  Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

1. Like Kara, I am generally aware when I am dreaming and if I don't like the way a dream is going I can change it or bring myself out of the dream (whereupon I usually wake up) This is very useful if I ever dream that I am back at boarding school (aarrgh!)

2. However cold it is, my hands are always warm. CWs come up to me at work on cold days and ask to hold my hands for a minute or two, not because they love me but because they know my hands will be as warm as toast. Not moist or sweaty, I hasten to add, just warm.

3. I am crazy about Lancasters. Yes that's right, the 4 engined heavy WW2 bomber. I'm sitting looking at a painting of one as I speak, hanging in my dining room. I even own a piece of one - the main spar of the BBMF Lancaster was replaced a few years ago and pieces of the old spar were cut up and sold off to raise funds, so I has one!

4. I very often start 'hearing' a song or piece of music in my head, for no apparent reason, only to hear it played on the radio a few minutes later.

5. I had a motorbike for several years and went everywhere on it, yet I have never been able to ride a bicycle.
                    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

1. I don't tan or burn even though I'm a fair skinned red(ish) head, I walked round Atlanta Zoo for hours without sun screen on and the only thing that happened was my skin got a bit warm.

2. My eyes change colour depending on my mood, My eyes are very green when I'm happy.

3. I will purr when my head is scratched to the amusement of my boyfriend.

4. I'm empathic to some degree, animals tend to trust me very fast, a cat my boyfriend was renting with a house decided I was worth it's time within 24 hours, it took my bf three weeks to get to that stage and it's owner longer. Their new cat came up to me almost as soon as I arrived when we went to visit the owners (who had moved in properly by then as my bf was renting while they worked on it.) The owners girlfriend said she had never seen it do that with anyone before.

5. I rarely wear socks or tights. I only ever wear them if it part of a costume (I cosplay some) or if it's extremely cold. I wore sandals all winter only adding socks when the snow was above my feet.
                      As soon as I start thinking
                      That I'm sensible and sane
                      The Random Hedgehog comes along
                      And fiddles with my Brain
                      (from card I got)

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                        3. I am crazy about Lancasters.
                        My great-uncle was a navigator in a Lancaster, he was seconded from the Aussies over to you Brits for a while, then came back this way after VE Day. His cousin managed to get back to base safely after a friendly bomb went straight though his Lancaster's wing. Luckily, it failed to go off!

Which leads into my second list:

6 - I remember family stories really well, even when I've only heard them once. I'm trying to get my grandad to write them all down, because he's ill and I know there will be some that he's forgotten to tell me. Rugz is often surprised when I tell him some of his grandparents stories that they've told me.

7 - I buy small canvases for my girls to paint on. This way, I get to keep their artwork easily without having loads of paper piling up.

8 - I'd love to own a small farm one day, even though it will be hard work.

9 - Like Geek King, I switch off emotionally and time seems to slow right down when there's an emergency or when I'm badly hurt. I also do it when I'm about to lose my temper, am really tired or am worn out emotionally-speaking. It's very handy, because I can quickly mentally shuffle through actions/reactions/consequences/priorities and choose the best (or the least-bad) options.

10 - I can only sleep when I feel safe, and don't have nightmares when I sleep during the day.
                        Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth raw456 View Post
                          4. I have Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) which has caused me to be an insomniac for most of my life.
                          I have that, too. Had it since I was 14. When I was 15 I had ear tubes, which improved my hearing dramatically (had a 20-25% loss when I was tested after the ringing started) but did not help the ringing. I also hear different tones in each ear. It doesn't keep me awake most of the time but I do hear it more at night when it's quiet.

Quoth Jester View Post
                          I will often yell at other drivers from within the cabin of my truck. Oftentimes it's something along the lines of, "Try the fucking pedal on the right, you moron! It means GO!"
                          Heh...my other favories, when stopped at a red green light: "Are you waiting for a particular shade of green?" or "It doesn't get any greener!" or "Green means GO!!"

Also, when someone turns or changes lanes without signaling: "Nice turn signal! Very subtle!!"

As for yelling at other drivers, let's just say it's a good thing I usually don't have anyone else in the car with me.

You really should look at a map.
                          OK, fair enough. I've never been west of PA while leaving the Eastern seaboard. How's that?

There are a lot of iconic movies I have never seen, which is a bit odd as I am a bit of a movie buff. But some I have managed to miss include all of the Jurrasic Parks, Goonies, Stand by Me, and the one that drives people nuts when they find out I've never seen it, Christmas Story.
                          I love Stand By Me.

Short girls are hawt! Of course, I'm 5'8", but still, I find girls your height and shorter to be cuter than hell, and have a thang for them.
                          I'm 5'4"

Quoth Princess J View Post
                          Unlike some women, I have never had to pretend to like beer, I always have.
                          I have never felt the need to pretend I like beer. Nor have I even desired to acquire a taste for it either. Ditto for wine.
                          Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 07-15-2011, 01:06 AM.
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Thought of one more:

My favorite joke is "What has four wheels and flies?"

(answer: a garbage truck)

Duh.

I said it was my favorite...I didn't say it was sophisticated!
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

1. I can cross my eyes then move them independently side-to-side
                              2. I can't whistle
                              3. I can do an exercise with my drumsticks I learned many years ago that could damage your arms if you don't do it right
                              4. I really don't like heights
                              5. Cats like me.I like them.
                              "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

I know I don't post much, but this is a lot of fun.

Always sherbet, never ice cream. Unless it's mint chocolate chip from an ice cream shop in the town I grew up in with bittersweet chocolate and crushed peanuts.

I have more cats then I care to count, but they are the best. (Don't tell the others, but they are all my favorites.)

Had colon cancer when I was 32, my doctor cried when he told my parents.

Knew I didn't want kids at 16, and thank goodness I can't ever have them.

Wasn't married until I was 36 & my husband was 37. Only weird thing is everyone is always shocked that this is our first marriage.

Am a very social person, but HATE talking on the phone.
                                Is it really SO hard to listen to the prompts?

Comment

Working...
                                X