Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probably my most humiliating experience. Enjoy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably my most humiliating experience. Enjoy!

So, have you guys ever done something that is so embarrassing that even months later you squirm and blush when you think about it? Well, I certainly have, and lucky you, you get to be the first people ever to hear about it.
    warning:: Like most of my posts seem to be, this is likely to be very verrry long and full of background. But the absolute cringing embarrassment that you will vicariously feel for me will hopefully make it worthwhile.
    Ready?
    Ok, BG #1: I have always suffered from anxiety. I took some steps about 10 years ago to cope with it, took some bio-feedback and cognitive techniques and combined them with reading some excellent books and made some very huge improvements. I suffered horribly through university but once I found a job that I enjoyed, treating pediatric burns with a great team of people I felt more comfortable, capable and less afraid of the world at large.

My biggest symptom is obsessive and negative thinking. I will start to worry about something and just go around and around in circles, getting myself more and more worked up, and feeling physical symptoms and adrenalin surges and panic attacks, hives, etc, until my brain is essentially a withered, abused, twitchy, panicky pile of mush and I am too physically and mentally exhausted to function.

One of the things that I learned to do to stop the cycle is to literally speak to myself, out loud, in a calming, soothing and sometimes joking manner. For me, there's something about speaking out loud while I am in a safe and private place (usually my car, which earns me some weird looks!) that really helps.I think it engages different parts of my brain at once and short circuits the 'Yeah but what about THIS" thoughts that are always tumbling around in my head. I also have learned that it is helpful to speak to yourself in a joking manner, the same way you would speak to friend who is wound way too tightly and needs some perspective. (this is important later!)

Ok , so, BG #2. Recently, my life has undergone asome pretty serious upheaval. I was pregnant, in what I thought was a happy marriage when my then-husband decided we weren't ready for a family (we had been together for 12 years, trying for a baby for half that time, so this was a shock). The pregnancy ended in a miscarriage, I found my husband was "in love" with my best friend and I was quite suddenly living a very different life. I moved out, and realized that my money situation was dramatically different than what I had been used to. This meant getting a second job
    Cue massive anxiety attacks. I looked at clerical positions but everything was fairly low paying and I reluctantly realized that the only kind of job that had the potential to bring me the cash I needed was serving, IF I could earn some decent tips.
    Cue even bigger anxiety (unfamiliar!!! Gah!!!!).

Going though university, I worked at golf courses, helping with tournaments and doing some very casual serving in the lounge, however these were the kinds of places where customers ordered drinks at the counter and we did very little table service, more bartending. I knew I could apply for a similar job now but I wanted something more permanent.
    So, reluctantly I started looking at more traditional waitress/server positions. After sending out over 70 resumes and hearing nothing I realized I was going to have to tailor my resume a bit and maybe make it seem like I had more typical serving experience than I did. I tried not to think of it as lying, but it was definitely exaggerating, however I was beyond desperate. In the meantime I researched how to be a server, do's and don'ts of waitressing and tried to prep myself in every way I could, so I wouldn't be a total loser from the beginning. I basically just didn't want someone to trust me and then be hugely disappointed in me so I worked as hard as I could to figure out how to do the job well.

So, one day I get a message from the manager of a very upscale wine bar asking me to come for an interview. I am alternately thrilled and panicked, completely anxiety-ridden and convinced I am about to be unmasked as a total fraud. So I call her back and leave a message with my availability and immediately afterwards I have an actual, no-kidding-around panic attack. My thoughts immediately go crazy: how am I going to fit this in? How can I work when I feel so panicky? How stupid am I going to look? etcetcetc......

So, I stop myself, take a deep breath and give myself a firm talking to. This won't be verbatim, but it is very very close.

"Lizard, stop panicking. Yes, you feel like a huge, dishonest liar but you are only EXAGGERATING your experience. Hopefully by the time they realize you are full of sh*t you will be good enough at serving that it won't matter. You are capable of serving people some damn drinks, it's not like it's f*cking rocket science. You are not a huge stinky liar and no-one will ever have to know how full of crap your resume is. Plus, if you absolutely hate it you can quit. (side note: I would never actually do this, I would at least give them good notice, but saying the words makes me feel less trapped, which helps calm me down)

"You can work one shift and quit if you want to. Hell, you can work half a shift and walk out if you want to!" (again. Wouldn't. Ever.But looking at this as something I am just trying out is making me feel a LOT less scared). "They don't have to know that you are looking at this a temporary band-aid for your finances and when you go for your interview you can blah-blah bull sh*t them and tell them this is your life long dream!!!!"

By this point, I am feeling a lot calmer, even smiling a bit. And that's when I look down at my cell phone. And the phone call is still in progress. Which means I have just left the most bizarre voicemail that this particular manager has probably ever heard.
    Oh and guess what? She never called me back with an interview date.
    Split personality much?? Oh yes, I think so.
    Last edited by I am the Lizard Queen!!; 07-31-2012, 09:03 PM.
    "Can't talk.

Comin' down."

Oh. Fuck. Damn, I"m sorry, and at the same time, chuckling. Because I have to tell myself stuff like that often. "Yo. The universe isn't exploding. Chillax." But...ya...ow. That is an Epic Facepalm moment.
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

wow. Thank you! I thought I was the only one who had conversations with myself like that.
      It does help.

This past year all of my classes were on the third floor. I could walk up all the stairs, but going down...well, I can't sit on my bottom and scooch down the stairs like my panicked brain wants me to do, and with so many students using the stairs, it's difficult to hold onto the handrail, so I always have to give myself a moment at the top of the stairs and pretend like I'm talking to my 6 year old-self.

"It's ok! You can do this! I'll buy you a cookie at the coffee shop and give you a big hug when you make it!" and then I have to visualize myself holding a kid's hand as I walk down the stairs.

Sometimes other students will see me frozen at the top of the stairs muttering to myself but so far their response to me is to tell me to stop "thinking so hard". Yep. That's what I'm doing...thinking about...calculus... not about cookies and hugs

Comment

Oh. my. godddddddddddd. I'm so sorry you're right I'm totally cringing in empathy for you.. And trying not to laugh. And trying not to cry. And feeling terrible about both I can so see myself doing exactly that! (very similar anxiety + coping methods). Big hugs.
        Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
        What's the difference?
        We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Oh LizardQueen! I'm so sorry your apparently effective coping technique backfired there. I've heard some pretty interesting "butt dialing" stories but this one really takes the cake. If it helps the cringing at all, I had NO problem imagining the wine-bar manager hearing your message and chuckling to herself at how strange the whole hiring process can be at times.

BTW, don't know how familiar the BG experience you gave made you with food service, but quitting as a trainee is ABSOLUTELY NOT A PROBLEM for most places (or your fellow employees). Turnover in the restaurant business is already pretty high, and they are also very rarely depending on a trainee to carry a full load right out of the gate. So when you are reassuring yourself that you can quit, relax even more knowing that you aren't really letting someone down, ok?

Comment

Oh no! This is one of my biggest fears! Ah, I'm so sorry that happened to you. Well it sucks that they never called you back, but at least now you don't ever have to see this person face-to-face

Comment

Thanks for the sympathy guys. It's funny, even writing this out made me feel so upset and anxious all over again. It actually helps a lot to know that some of you have the same type of issues and talk to yourselves like I do!
              The really funny part is that I tend to have a pretty polished, professional telephone manner that has come about from working as a Unit Clerk for a few years and calling hundreds of patients families to book appointments and clinics, as well as speaking to doctors about patients on the phone. So I just picture this poor manager-lady listening to the first part of the message that I left (the part that I MEANT to leave), which was very poised and friendly, and then probably...what? What does having a panic attack sound like? She probably heard some heavy breathing and random cursing before she even got to the Stuart Smalley-Motivational-Speaker-From-Hell part of the message. She got to hear the metamorphosis of Bat-Shit-Crazy!!! First hand! Lucky her~!
              I actually have to laugh when I think about how totally bizarre that must have sounded!
              "Can't talk.

Comin' down."

Comment

Oh my, I'm so sorry this happened to you, and I'm also so sorry I'm laughing a bit too.
                To make up for laughing, I'm sending lots of good thoughts out to the universe for another interview (at a different place) for you, honest.

As for exagerating your resume - better to exagerate, then get in there and work your a** off to prove you can do it, than to never get the chance to try. Hubby was out of work for ages, finally got a mediocre job, is still looking for better - and I constantly yell at him for doing the opposite, he underplays everything he's ever done, and I know it's keeping him from getting jobs he could easily handle.

Loads of us do the self pep-talks, verbally or at least mentally. Sounds like yours are a bit like mine, as well. A lot of people don't get what I'm doing, they'll say "oh, don't think about the bad, just think positive, ignore the doubts, etc". Nope, I don't work that way. I have to think of the worst case scenario, and what I would do. Such as, worst case, it's more than I can handle and I really, really can't manage, in which case, no one has me chained to a table, I walk out, can't get arrested for that. Or, worst case I screw up so bad I get fired right away, well, then I would be no worse off, I wouldn't list that job on my resume, and I'd still have a few bucks I don't have now. Not that I'd necessarily do what I say (I doubt I'd walk out without notice, for example). But just having the worst case taken care of in my head, I feel better about facing anything under that.

Madness takes it's toll....
                Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I'll have to try the pep talks. I suffer from anxiety and depression (they feed into each-other like crazy) and actually had to quit my last job because it was causing them to flare up. I figured it that it was flaring up again when I walked into a freezer to be alone, feeling like absolute s**t, then realized I didn't really have a reason to be.

My current boss loved me before I started treatment for it, because I had a very stringent: "This happens just like this OR THE WORLD WILL END" attitude. I HAD to do x, and I HAD to do it perfectly.

Now I'm just kinda: "I'll fix it if it doesn't work" most of the time.

He's kinda: o_-.

Comment

Having someone else hear what you didn't mean them to happens a lot. Yes, it's embarrassing, but it's very human.

There's a local thrift store that works with the animal shelter, and usually has several cats available for adoption wandering around the store. I was perusing the clothing rack and saw a lovely tabby sitting on top. I reached up to pet him and greeted him with, "Hi, handsome!"

"Hello!" responded an enthusiastic male voice from the other side of the rack. That man thought I'd greeted him!

It was more than a little embarrassing having to explain that I was talking to the cat! So yes, it does happen to other people. And it's cringe-inducing at the time, but eventually, you'll laugh at the memory.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

and this is why I'm glad I'm fluent in a second language(and know a bit of two more, aka, not fluent, but enough to get by if I were ever thrown into those countries), not many people can understand what I'm saying to myself, and just think I'm practicing.

Maybe just learn a few phrases that help you
                      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                        Oh LizardQueen! I'm so sorry your apparently effective coping technique backfired there. *snip*
                        Same here. I give myself pep talks like this a LOT but luckily it's never backfired on me ... yet. Give me time ...

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                        Oh my, I'm so sorry this happened to you, and I'm also so sorry I'm laughing a bit too.
                        To make up for laughing, I'm sending lots of good thoughts out to the universe for another interview (at a different place) for you, honest.

As for exagerating your resume - better to exagerate, then get in there and work your a** off to prove you can do it, than to never get the chance to try. Hubby was out of work for ages, finally got a mediocre job, is still looking for better - and I constantly yell at him for doing the opposite, he underplays everything he's ever done, and I know it's keeping him from getting jobs he could easily handle.

Loads of us do the self pep-talks, verbally or at least mentally. *snip*
                        Yep, definitely.

As for what you write on your resume, I think this was raised in another post -- don't fabricate a nonexistent skill, but don't be afraid to exaggerate the skills you have! Better that than underplay what you can do, and lose out on jobs because of it.

Comment

Working...
                        X