Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At our store it's strictly voluntary if we want to work. They cannot just schedule us. That happened to my friend last year. He did NOT volunteer so they penciled him in. He did a no show, no call. From what he told me his phone was ringing off the hook. He came in next day and to say they were PISSED would be putting it in friendly terms. But hey, what can you do... By contract they can NOT make you work on Christmas. Not enough help? Tough.
    NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

In two words: Hell NO.

The Litter Box is closed, but I do have to go in at 5 am Wednesday.

I hope I never see in my lifetime grocery stores opening on Christmas Day. Bad enough they are open on Thanksgiving now.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I was scheduled 4pm -12am Christmas Eve. At 10:30am, my boss called and said he didn't think we would be busy after 10pm (our normal closing time) and will probably close, so could I come in at 2:30pm instead? I said "sure" - hey getting off early but still getting 8 hours? It's a no brainer.

So I go in at 2:30. Boss says "if you have 15 minutes with no customers after 10pm, close". Yay! Well, hell no. WalMart closed at 8 and we were SLAMMED from then on. This is a small town, evidently both WalMart and the 24-hour grocery decided to close at 8 this evening. I'm not talking slammed as in a few customers dribble in every 10 minutes ... I'm talking CARLOADS!!!!!!!!!

Long story short, I worked 2:30 to midnight, with only a half hour break. Boss WILL be hearing about this!!!! On the other hand, I will love my paycheck ;-)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
          I hope I never see in my lifetime grocery stores opening on Christmas Day. Bad enough they are open on Thanksgiving now.
          Actually I'm on holiday in Austria at the moment and the shops are open here today (Christmas). I think it's because the important time is not Christmas day but rather Christmas Eve, and so shops closed at around 2pm yesterday and are open this morning instead. It's odd for me, coming from Australia, but I quite like it!
          "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
            Actually I'm on holiday in Austria at the moment and the shops are open here today (Christmas). I think it's because the important time is not Christmas day but rather Christmas Eve, and so shops closed at around 2pm yesterday and are open this morning instead. It's odd for me, coming from Australia, but I quite like it!
            That's something I'm not familiar with. But then again, I've not had the opportunity to travel to other countries.

Here in the US, stores will typically close early on Christmas Eve (most grocery stores in my area close at either 6 or 7, WalMart will stay open usually until around 8 pm) and will be closed Christmas Day to allow folks to spend that day with their families.

Interesting to see that there are other countries who think a little differently on such things.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

IIRC a lot of countries in Europe, Germany as an example, will do most of their fun on Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day is just 'the day after'.

We in the UK have Boxing Day as 'the day after'.
              "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
                IIRC a lot of countries in Europe, Germany as an example, will do most of their fun on Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day is just 'the day after'.

We in the UK have Boxing Day as 'the day after'.
                And here in the US, it's back to work as normal, no day after.

Madness takes it's toll....
                Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I did...see my thread in CS. I get to go back in at 4 AM. Again. I'm so damn tired of opening the store, I swear...but...it pays well, I guess.
                  "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Working...
                  X