This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been downsized!

Not from my main full time job at The Bar. But at my part time job at The Q.

It's slowing down in ole Key West, much slower than this same time last year, and The Q is cutting back on hours, and so are giving more hours to people who work more hours there, and thus they are eliminating the one-shifters such as myself. I'll still be able to pick up shifts if I want, but next Saturday is my last official shift.

Now some people might be bitter or angry. I am neither. I fully understand why they're doing this, and rather than bemoan my fate, I am looking at this as an opportunity, a new door opening, a chance to find a new second job at some other bar. Who knows, maybe some awesome place is looking for an equally awesome bartender for just one day a week. And, if they lower their standards, they might just hire me!

Honestly, I wasn't making that much at The A anyways, and while I will certainly miss it, this may well end up being a good thing. I've already put out some feelers, and plan on talking to a few more bars in town. And the good thing is, since I am not desperate, I can take my time and find the right place. Hell, worst case scenario, I just pick up another day at The Bar. But honestly, I like the variety, and I don't know that I wouldn't go crazy working five days at The Bar.

New Beginning, ready or not, here I come!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Sorry to hear it, but I am glad you have such a wonderfully positive outlook.

Have you considered [or is it possible there] to do some light busking with sleight of hand goodies?
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I wonder if you'd be quite so serene if you weren't getting laid on the regular. ;-) How is Mrs. Robinson doing, anyway?
      "I've never had a heart attack, but it isn't for my son's lack of trying." - Me

Comment

When the lord closes a window, he kicks open a door, am I right? Just find the door!

...Preferably one without a goat behind it.

And yes, I agree, how is the lady?
        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
          Sorry to hear it, but I am glad you have such a wonderfully positive outlook.

Have you considered [or is it possible there] to do some light busking with sleight of hand goodies?
          Is it possible here? Absolutely.

Is it something I really want to do? Honestly, not so much.

Quoth TTAZ View Post
          I wonder if you'd be quite so serene if you weren't getting laid on the regular. ;-) How is Mrs. Robinson doing, anyway?
          Semi-regular, actually. But in any case, I dare say I would have the same attitude regardless of that.

As for how she's doing, great, last time I talked to her. Our schedules are completely different, and so we don't talk or see each other quite as much as you might think.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Just had a thought. While I'd love another bartending gig, I was wondering if there's some kind of job I could do online. If anyone here knows of anything, something I could do by telecommuting, and possibly even do on my own time, i.e., setting my own hours as long as I get the job done, that would be great.

I have zero computing skills, other than being able to operate them reasonably competently (no knowledge of design, coding, or programming), but I am a reasonably good writer, and have other talents, and think it would be awesome if I could somehow put those talents to use. So...anyone got any ideas along this front? All ideas welcomed!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Well, if you like writing, why don't you look into copywriting? I'm honestly not sure what the more recent sites are for that sort of thing, but you can look at Freelancer or Elance, and see what they've got.

Also...why not do a few Youtube videos...maybe do a channel? Could show off some magic tricks, talk about bartending, or even tell sordid tales.

Comment

Seraph, I will look into the first idea. But I don't really see how the second idea would make me money. Which is kind of a requirement. Besides, the video thing, while amusing, probably wouldn't work well. Sure, I have lots of stupid bar customer stories, and I can tell them pretty well, but can very easily see that backfiring on me, as someone could recognize me and complain to The Bar. And I will not do anything that negatively reflects on The Bar. Not only because I really like it, the owner, and most of my coworkers, but I am quite opposed to the idea of being fired.

Still A Customer."

Comment

YouTube does what they call 'partnering'. Basically if you have an original channel, they pay you for the ads that show. So...money.

But yeah, I could see that with the Bar.

Comment

Could always teach different drinks in a video and give ideas of meals with them.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                      YouTube does what they call 'partnering'. Basically if you have an original channel, they pay you for the ads that show. So...money.
                      Interesting. And how would one partner with YouTube on something like that?

Quoth Aethian View Post
                      Could always teach different drinks in a video and give ideas of meals with them.
                      That is....well, rather brilliant, actually. And something I'm going to think seriously about.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I think a channel where you do rum and beer reviews might be pretty decent. I know I would probably tune in to check out something I was thinking of getting.

[the local boozeria had a tasting and I tried Sea Wynd - advertising aside it was very interesting. Same company that makes Gosling, which we like. I think it will make a good cooking rum, bit not a drinking rum.]
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          Interesting. And how would one partner with YouTube on something like that?
                          Its in your account settings, you just go there and click "Apply for Partnership". Alternatively, go here .

Comment

I'm so adventurish I do all my new beer testing on my own, so I've never looked for YouTube videos about it, but they must be there. (They've got everything else under the sun.) Look at a few and decide what you can do better and do that. I'm sure they'd be a hit. I have always liked your descriptions over in the Booze Club thread.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                              the local boozeria had a tasting and I tried Sea Wynd - advertising aside it was very interesting. Same company that makes Gosling, which we like. I think it will make a good cooking rum, bit not a drinking rum.
                              A couple of small corrections...

1. It's Sea Wynde, not Sea Wynd.

2. While both Sea Wynde and Gosling's are distributed by the same company in the U.S., they are not made by the same company. Huge difference.

And an opinion...

I think Sea Wynde is a nice sipping rum. Not great, but definitely very good. Obviously opinions on such things vary, but that is my opinion on that rum.

Quoth Seraph View Post
                              Its in your account settings, you just go there and click "Apply for Partnership". Alternatively, go here .
                              Thanks. I'll look into it.

Quoth sms001 View Post
                              I have always liked your descriptions over in the Booze Club thread.
                              Good to know. And if I ever finally stop being lazy and transfer all the reviews of new beers I've tired at World of Beer in the last couple months, you'll have about 150+ more descriptions to read through.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X