Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heads up for fellow women on insurance... (bit tmi)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, tha'ts strange. I haven't had to pay a co-pay for my BC pills since 2013 started. Then, mine are for hormone replacement due to having my ovaries removed at such a young age. I have to take an oral hormone because my skin breaks out in a rash with the patch.
    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
      ...Sorry to be slightly OT...but tomatoes?

Oh...wow. Big hugs, mathnerd. Big, big hugs.
      Yup. And it sucks. Did you know there's tomato powder in Doritos? And it's a bad enough allergy that skin contact will result in anaphylaxis. I have more minor issues with citrus, which causes digestive upsets and numbness in my mouth, which makes me fear that I'll eventually develop allergies to that as well. *sigh*
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
        Sure. Not the first time I've heard of it. Try being Sicilian and allergic to tomatoes.
        And yeah, wrongful death lawsuits would have flown.

I've seen allergies to tomatoes, mushrooms, grapes (that sucks), shellfish, corn (that REALLY REALLY sucks), bees (me), nuts, bananas (and latex), soy, even animal fat (thank you, deer ticks). You really can be allergic to almost anything.

I'm also allergic to stupid. It makes me break out in snark.
        I don't think an epipen would work for snark

Hm, Sicilian with tomato allergy. Ouch.

And I am deathly allergic to mushrooms. You would not believe how much shrooms are in convenience and restaurant foods, all those 'natural flavors' for savory food frequently have mushroom, to the point that if something says 'natural flavor' we don't bother buying it to avoid accidental cooking surface contamination. I found *2* bouillons/meat glaces that don't have any shroom in them, Knorr and Herb-Ox.

And yes, I do carry an epipen =) Though so far the only time I have had to use it in the past 5 years was for someone else who got beestung and had forgotten their epipen.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
          Yup. And it sucks. Did you know there's tomato powder in Doritos? And it's a bad enough allergy that skin contact will result in anaphylaxis.*
          ...I...I....I have no words. You have my hugest sympathies. Ouchies.

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
          Wow, tha'ts strange. I haven't had to pay a co-pay for my BC pills since 2013 started. Then, mine are for hormone replacement due to having my ovaries removed at such a young age. I have to take an oral hormone because my skin breaks out in a rash with the patch.
          Yeah, your doctor probably fought them to count it as a medical necessity, since...well..yours *is*. But "standard birth control reasons" don't count, somehow. :|

Quoth Crossbow View Post
          I'm also allergic to stupid. It makes me break out in snark.
          Have I mentioned lately that I love you?

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
          And I am deathly allergic to mushrooms.
          Aaaaand AD should probably never get near my house. <_<
          By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I'm really surprised by that as I now get my BC for free in my insurance plan (Usually it was a $10 month copay but according to the lady at the pharmacy "Thanks to 'Bamacare it's free" Those were her words, not mine).

http://www.nwlc.org/resource/contrac...sked-questions

You might want to double check your plan..the only thing I saw in the above FAQ that might apply was this * Insurance companies do have some flexibility in implementing this new requirement, like being able to charge a co-pay for a brand name drug where generic equivalents exist. It even says that grandfathered plans don't have it applied but new plans do (and it sounds like you got put onto a new plan).
            A crisis is a problem you can't control. Drama is a problem you can, but won't. - Otter

Comment

Once the public insurance exchange goes live in October, hopefully there will be more options that will be better for everyone in general.

I work in heath care, though not for an insurance company, so I'm getting more familiar with all that's happening. Unfortunately, everything is still pretty foggy about what sort of coverage you'll be able to purchase, but I hope it's a step in the right direction.

Comment

Quoth JambaBamba View Post
                I'm really surprised by that as I now get my BC for free in my insurance plan (Usually it was a $10 month copay but according to the lady at the pharmacy "Thanks to 'Bamacare it's free" Those were her words, not mine).

http://www.nwlc.org/resource/contrac...sked-questions

You might want to double check your plan..the only thing I saw in the above FAQ that might apply was this * Insurance companies do have some flexibility in implementing this new requirement, like being able to charge a co-pay for a brand name drug where generic equivalents exist. It even says that grandfathered plans don't have it applied but new plans do (and it sounds like you got put onto a new plan).
                Like I said, it SHOULD be free, according to the law, but that's why they are "recategorizing it as a lifestyle choice". They are going to cover the generic pills absolutely 100%, but nothing else. The pills are the ONLY type of BC that has a generic. IUDs, implants, nuvaring....all of those are name brand. So that's why they are weaseling out of this.
                By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                  ...I...I....I have no words. You have my hugest sympathies. Ouchies.
                  Thanks. It stinks, but I've learned to live with it. It was an adult onset allergy, which made it hard, though thinking back I could never eat too much tomato because it did awful things to my digestive system. My mother also said that when I was a baby and nursing, she couldn't eat anything with tomato in it or I would get horrible tummy issues and the worst diaper rash ever. I've probably been mildly allergic my whole life, but didn't develop full blown anaphylaxis until my mid-20's.
                  At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                    Have I mentioned lately that I love you?
                    Awwwww. You're so sweet. Don't let it get out; it might ruin your reputation as the Enemy of Normalcy.

I'm really glad I'm not allergic to any foods that I've ever found. That could change, of course. A friend developed her shellfish allergy pretty much overnight after having baryatric surgery. Before the operation, she was fine, although never being a fan of shellfish. After, however... any contact sent her into anaphylactic shock.
                    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

That sucks. Seriously, thank the stars for Planned Parenthoood. Unless you live in Texas, of course...

But since we're on the topic of allergies - let me mention my possible odd ones.

I say "possible" because I'm not sure they're actually allergies since I didn't get them tested. My first suspected allergy is ginger ale - once when I was prepping for minor surgery and I could only drink clear fluids for two days before. I indulged in quite a bit of ginger ale as my beverage choice, and started itching madly everywhere. To this day I try not to drink more than one glass at a time.
                      My second suspected allergy - either warthog or wolf hair or something in the Smithsonian storage area. I found this out when I worked at the Smithsonian storage center, and would start sneezing and sniffling like mad every time I went into this particular storage unit. Apparently quite a few people working there discovered new allergies - my project manager found out she was allergic to giraffe hair this way. Why, she has no idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X