Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weirdest thing you've ever done over an open fire?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Seshat View Post
    Eat on its own, with butter or syrup or jam, with vegemite!, or anything else you wish.
    Or honey, which is fabulous if you use eucalypt as it really sets off the flavour.
    "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

This thread is making me hungry! And miss my camping days terribly!

I seem to remember opening a hole in the top of an orange, carefully scooping out the fruit, pouring cake batter inside the peel and cooking it in the campfire. Got sort of an orange-flavored cupcake-like treat.

It's been so long since I've done any campfire cooking, I wouldn't know where to begin. I wish I could take some refresher courses.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
        RUN!
        .....It is known.
        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post

I seem to remember opening a hole in the top of an orange, carefully scooping out the fruit, pouring cake batter inside the peel and cooking it in the campfire. Got sort of an orange-flavored cupcake-like treat.

It's been so long since I've done any campfire cooking, I wouldn't know where to begin. I wish I could take some refresher courses.
          Mmmm.....I so have to try this!

I've done potatoes over the fire before...my uncle, my dad, my uncle's neighbour and a bunch of guys they either work with or brew with go on fishing trips every so often. When my cousin died, we went to one of those fishing spots to scatter his ashes (the cousin's wish). While I was there, I discovered what their "campfire" was.

Basically someone had taken an old oil drum (or beer barrel), cut it in half, welded legs to it and set up their own fire pit that way by burying it in the ground.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I love doing apples in a fire. Core them out and put butter and some cinnamon or caramel bits in the middle and wrap it in foil. I've done pizza over a fire before, tasty.

Comment

Carefully open banana (in peel). Slit the actual banana. Add chocolate, marshmallows, etc. Replace peel. (use foil only if necessary.)

Heat beside coals until peel is black but not burned. Retrieve with tongs, wait impatiently until cooled enough to handle.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Have hardwood coals and place thin cut steaks right on the coals. Cook for a min or 2 per side.
                "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Campfire fish isn't really all that weird, but it *is* delicious. I've heard lots of comments from people who hate fish about how delicious it is. You just take a trout and fillet it and lay the fillets in aluminum foil, then put pats of butter, lemon slices, and anything else you want to add (like mushrooms) and then cover it in cajun seasoning and any other spices you like, then slooooowly cook it on a grill rack over a fire. My god, is it amazing. The Taiwanese people who worked with us had chopsticks and we told them to put them away after we realized how much advantage they had (they were the only ones not burning their fingers, so they could eat faster). Either that or we all had to get chopsticks and learn to use them. Since we were on an island in the middle of nowhere that was unlikely...
                  "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
                  Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Quoth kpzra View Post
                    I love doing apples in a fire. Core them out and put butter and some cinnamon or caramel bits in the middle and wrap it in foil. I've done pizza over a fire before, tasty.
                    So you CAN cook fruit over a fire?

So want to try this out sometime.

I probably won't be able to do cinnamon, but you can get caramel choc-chips
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

We would make chocolate cake and an apple pie type dessert. But the weirdest thing?

Ants. I'm not kidding. It wasn't on purpose, one of the logs of wood for the fire had a colony of large black ants living inside. We thought it was strange when we saw a few stuck in the plastic surrounding the wooden longs, but didn't think anything of until we added it to the fire. Suddenly, ants are running out of the cracks with smoke rising up from the inside of the log. Soon following the ants was a bubbling white substance. Truly, truly disgusting.
                      Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                        So you CAN cook fruit over a fire?

So want to try this out sometime.

I probably won't be able to do cinnamon, but you can get caramel choc-chips
                        Oh yeah, I've been doing it for years. I should try with the cinnamon chips I have...mmm. When they are done they have the texture of apple pie filling so you need a spoon or fork.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                          .....It is known.
                          If I ever need help lighting a fire, I know where to turn.

Although I really can't criticize others. Like Sashat, I have also managed to cook myself with an open fire - 2nd degrees burns across the back of my right hand.
                          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                          Save the Ales!
                          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

The only think I've actually cooked over a fire is marshmallows for s'mores.
                            One day I had a bowl of tortilla chips next to the fire to snack on for those that wanted something salty instead of something sweet. When I brought the bowl of chips in it had a nice smokey flavor, that I plan on duplicating soon.

Comment

Chocolate eclairs. (this was years ago, so the recipe is fuzzy)

Wrap some pre-made dough (like Pillsbury Crescent Roll dough) around a stick
                              cook over fire
                              remove from stick and stuff with vanilla pudding (or custard, if you aren't American)
                              top with chocolate icing
                              eat
                              What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Scallops and shrimp. Back in the 90s, when my friends and I would go to Mexico, we would camp on the beach (as did many people), and sometimes, instead of hitting the local awesome restaurants, we would hit the fish market and buy some killer seafood to cook at camp. Best shrimp or scallops I've ever had. Then again, Mexican brown tails and blue tails are pretty much the best shrimp in existence, so this should not be all that surprising.

Quoth Ghel View Post
                                I mixed up the sauce (Frank's sauce and butter) and brushed the chicken while it cooked over a low wood fire. The sauce blackened, but it tasted amazing.
                                Blackened? No. I think the word for that is "caramelized."

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
                                Not unusual, but a novel method... Bf found a grilling bowl at the grocery store. It's a metal bowl with holes in it.
                                Sounds like you could use a metal colander to get this effect. Plastic colanders, not so much!

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                                One of my favourite things to cook over an open fire though are bacon and cheddar smokies...or kolbasa sausage. Okay, I'm craving these now...ugh!
                                I probably shouldn't tell you this, but I'll be having kielbasa for dinner tonight. Admittedly, cooked in a skillet, but with onions, peppers, sauerkraut, beer, and mustard, it will be delicious!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                                Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X