This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's NOT how a warranty works

This is a summary of a call I take multiple times a day at the red checkmark...

- Yes, I understand you think your phone is a piece of crap
    - Yes, I know you've already been through two replacements
    - Yes, we can replace it again, but not without troubleshooting first
    - We have to troubleshoot
    - We have to troubleshoot
    - WE HAVE TO TROUBLESHOOT

<troubleshooting unsucessful...>

- Yes, we can replace it again (sidenote: all replacements are refurbished)
    - No, we can't give you a new phone
    - No, we can't give you a new phone
    - NO, WE CAN'T GIVE YOU A NEW PHONE!
    - Please hold for a manager

"If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

I do sympathize, and I know it must be awfully sucky for you. I just can't help feeling a bit for the customer, too. If I pay for a NEW phone, and it turns out to be a bad one, I would expect a NEW one if it has to be replaced. But you didn't make those rules, so really there is no point in customers yelling at you over it.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I read this aloud to my husband and his head hit his desk. He says that pretty typical, though the variety he gets usually contains more cursing on the SC's part. A lot more.
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        If I pay for a NEW phone, and it turns out to be a bad one, I would expect a NEW one if it has to be replaced.
        only if the phone you have was never removed from the box is it still "new" otherwise you used, it is no longer new, you had your new phone it's used now, and will be replaced with a used phone.
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I'm one of those people who thinks it's REALLY shitty that you buy a new phone and if it doesn't work they send you a refurbished one. It's not your fault, but it is a crappy deal lol.

Comment

Quoth Kittykat View Post
            I'm one of those people who thinks it's REALLY shitty that you buy a new phone and if it doesn't work they send you a refurbished one. It's not your fault, but it is a crappy deal lol.
            I agree completely, but that's how our policies are. I mean there's no way in our system I can EXPLICITLY order the customer a 100% new phone for a warranty replace. Only the manufacturer could guarantee that and many of them have a less than stellar track record of decent customer service.

Hence why I hate these types of calls.
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
              I agree completely, but that's how our policies are. I mean there's no way in our system I can EXPLICITLY order the customer a 100% new phone for a warranty replace. Only the manufacturer could guarantee that and many of them have a less than stellar track record of decent customer service.

Hence why I hate these types of calls.
              I think that's the problem. If the original phone is broken out the door, it's really a manufacturer issue. Instead of even going to the warranty, the customer should be going to the manufacturer for a replacement. But since the manufacturer stinks for customer service, poor you on the warranty side is having to deal with it. And warranties don't replace with new phones.

Which is probably spelled out in the actual warranty, but that would require actual reading and understanding what you purchase. But sans reading, it'd be nice if they'd listen when you explained this was (good or bad) the way it works.

Comment

Our policy allows for a brand-new, still in-the-box replacement within 14 days of purchase; after that, it's a refurb. Honestly, I think that's a far more lenient policy than we should allow, but still customers get upset over it.
                "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
                -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

I can understand offering refurbed phones for people who are claiming warranty for a phone several months or a year plus down the track, but not for a brand new phone fresh out of the box that has a manufacturing defect. If they refused to replace a brand new phone with another brand new phone, I'd just take it back to the retailer and get a refund (Consumer Guarantees Act in New Zealand states that products that contain manufacturing flaws or defects must be replaced or refunded)

While I don't condone it, a long time back a friend had no end of problems with getting their phone replaced under warranty, so since they had theft/destruction insurance through their mobile phone provider, they conveniently "broke" their phone and got a brand new one for something like $5 (the insurance had a ridiculously low excess, the biggest irony is that they could not get it replaced due to a manufacturing defect, but as soon as the phone suffered a shattered screen, they got it replaced in something like 7 days)
                  Last edited by Kagato; 02-08-2014, 09:12 AM.
                  Violets are blue,
                  Roses are red,
                  I bequeath to thee...
                  A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Working...
                  X