This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first story

I can start the suck-ball rolling with a favorite! This is from tech support, and I got a call from a guy who was having trouble getting his wireless internet connection working. He adamantly refused to admit that anything else was wrong; none of his settings were different at all from what they should be. So we have to send somebody over. I get there to discover not only is this a LYING customer, in that he hasn't set up anything at all, but his idea of wireless was to take an ethernet cable, and not plug it in, no, but to leave the ends of it NEAR the wall connection and his computer. This was very surreal for me- picture a man assuming wireless means that you still need a wire, but it doesn't need to be plugged in.

After explaining the cord was unnecessary, his face turns red. Embarassed, he strides to the door, opens it, and says thank you, I've done enough. I protest, he has changed none of the appropriate settings, and he raises his voice more than slightly and suggests that I leave again. I'm not sure if that man ever did get on the internet, but if he did, then I applaud the loved one or other tech support guy who was able to get him to do anything.
    Last edited by Ree; 03-18-2007, 06:06 PM. Reason: Split thread to move story to this forum
    "Sir, I'm afraid that our warranty does not cover hauntings"

I moved your story here, because I didn't know if everyone would see it over in the New Member forum.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Wow.

That's just strange.
      I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

It's the Wi-Fi cable guy!

We had a customer some time ago asking for a Wi-Fi cable. Not Ethernet, not phone, not co-axial, not USB, nor any other kind of cable I could think of. He also didn't mean a wireless receiver for his computer or a wireless router. He needed a Wi-Fi cable.

No amount of questioning on our part could get him to clarify his needs beyond, "I need a Wi-Fi cable," or "I need a cable for wireless internet." If he'd explained, we might have been able to help. Instead, we ended up showing him all the cables we could possibly think of (including speaker wire and something for a washing machine) until he just got frustrated and left, muttering something about our uselessness.

Could he be related to the guy in the OP?
        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
        - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
        - IPF

Comment

The old admin assistant declared that the student's "ethercable" was fine, so the problem must be in the wall...
          Last edited by technical.angel; 03-21-2007, 01:35 AM.
          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth Bacter View Post
            his idea of wireless was to take an ethernet cable, and not plug it in, no, but to leave the ends of it NEAR the wall connection and his computer.
            "Surreal" just scratches the surface of this one for me. Even my mother knows that you need to plug the cables into the wall.

Now, if you'll excuse me, my brain hurts, and I'm going to go whimper in the corner.
            Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

On the other end of the spectrum, I switched from dial-up to cable, and had a cableguy in to plug it all up.

I'm not bragging, but I have a knack for fixin' hardware and wiring I've never seen before in my life. This'll come in handy later.

The cable guy was condescending because I was a tiny wee lil lady (Still am) and he was a tall grey guy. "Ahh, don't call me mister, lil lady, it gives me grey hair!" "You must be called mister A LOT." So he goes and plugs my cables and my modem...

Dun work.
              "Uh, sir..."
              "Not now lil lady, I'm trying to get you plugged."
              "But sir?"
              "I'm working here."
              "Sir?"
              "Why won't it work?"
              "BECAUSE YOU NEED THIS?"

He turns around and I had THE cable in my hand. He was trying to get the internet on a "dry" modem. Smart.

So now it work on my pc, but not mom's. So he calls his own company, and they put him on hold. 10 minutes. 15 minutes. 20 minutes. He hangs up, says he has no idea why it doesn't work, and leaves.

I wait till his truck is out of sight, go get the "useless spare cable" he left, and plugged the router in my mom's pc. Works.

So I spent an hour staring at a Plumber's cleavage under my mom's desk for something I figured out in 5 minutes. I should have just said "Thanx for the modem and router, I'll take it from here." and shut the door in his face.
              Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
                I should have just said "Thanx for the modem and router, I'll take it from here." and shut the door in his face.
                Would have been faster, I'm sure.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                  Would have been faster, I'm sure.
                  Eerily, something similar happened 2 years before that in video class in college.

I TRIED to tell the classmates I had the video cable but no way in hell, they sent me to sit on a chair (Being 17 and being told to sit on a chair to let the "grownups" handle it is pretty insulting, especially when those "grownups" are a couple of months younger than you and care more about their shade of mascara matching their sweater than their grade...)
                  When they saw a cable was missing, I piped up "I TRIED to tell you..." And waved the cable around. They snatched it and plugged it in. Then couldn't figure out why it STILL didn't work.

I sighed, got up, pushed the preppy princesses out of my way and looked in the back of the camera.

"THIS is your problem, you SPAZZES!"

I pulled the VIDEO cable OUT of the MICROPHONE jack and put it IN the VIDEO jack.

"Before making the only hardware-savvy girl sit down, make sure you know how to READ."

Ugh I hated school. But you guys are making me love my job.
                  Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Working...
                  X