Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

to my fellow video game store employees.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to my fellow video game store employees.

I wish all of us currently in the US the best over the next week and a half, as the new consoles release and everyone tries their very best to get them. So far in my store I've had:

At least six people insisting I must have them in the back room, and that I should sell them when I get them, since the games are right there, on the wall.

One attempted empty box dude, who ripped it open trying to get at the 'ps4 in the box'

Nineteen very confused mothers wondering why three days beforehand isn't when you can preorder systems that have been sold out two months ago.

Two security guard regulars who have been essentially chuckling as we deal with all of these. Though in all honesty, I'm glad we do have two security guards with whom our store is 'default boring day hangout'.

I'm also waiting for the return of a customer, or more accurately the customer's son to swing by and either be very sad or throw a fit.

I listened, but didn't care, and now I'm sorry

DFPL: A lady who'd inspire the double face palms out of anyone.
    Me:

DFPL comes in, walks up to us, explains that she wants to buy an XB360 because her eldest son took his off to college and now her two younger children are very stressed and want one to play. Could she cancel her preorder of the XB1 and use the money to buy a 360.

Me: "Yes, but understand that we can no longer take preorders on the XB1. If you cancel this, I cannot get it back for you."
    DFPL: "Oh, I'll probably regret it eventually, but they're just driving me off the wall, and that doesn't come out for ages."
    Me: "Ok, so what kind of 360 would you like..." *we go through the types of used ones, eventually settling on a slim 250gb one*
    Me: "alright. we're getting this, now, did you want to get a XBLive account, or any points today?"
    DFPL: "oh, no, I'm just going to put my credit card information on there, they can get it that way.
    Me: "Ok, this is how you set up a pin, and parental controls..."
    DFPL *cuts me off*: "oh, they're such good little kids, I don't need to worry about that."
    Me: "Ok, one last time before we finish this transaction. You want to cancel the XB1 preorder, and you understand we can't get this back for you, correct?"
    DFPL: "Yes, I understand."

Next day she comes in while my boss is working, in a rage, though amazingly not at us, and returns everything. Apparently her 'little angels' bought 300+$ worth of stuff on XB marketplace. >_<. What amazed my boss was this.
    DFPL: "That girl yesterday tried to warn me. Guess I should have listened, but now my kids have to pay!"

We're pretty convinced the XB1 preorder was her off at college son's, who's not gonna be happy that he can't get it when it comes out.
    Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
    Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
    -Unknown Author

Yikes good look with the launches and then Black Friday the week after. Me? I don't plan on getting new consoles. Just Mario 3D World and Link Between Worlds next week and I'll be happy.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

My roommate is gonna get a ps3 for a good price for a xmas present for her hubby. They already have a xbox 360. Obviously we do not care for new systems. I just got my hands on a ps2. I am happy.

Comment

I'm waiting a bit to get either, as the trend on launch systems lately has been very few games at launch, then wait a long-ish time for the secondary releases. Sony has been particularly bad about it. Still lots of 360/PS3 games to catch up on as everyone cashes them in to the used places.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

hmmm..I guess this means I really should be thinking about upgrading from my original Xbox now.

Last edited by drunkenwildmage; 11-14-2013, 07:02 PM. Reason: Still can't type.
          Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth Opalin View Post
            ...security guards with whom our store is 'default boring day hangout'.
            See if they'd be willing to "hang out" all day long once the BF season crush begins...>_>
            Next day she comes in while my boss is working, in a rage, though amazingly not at us, and returns everything.
            I hope she knows that stuff they bought online is not gonna be refundable >_> They'd better keep track of those login details if they ever get their own system. Kudos on her for knowing where the blame really lies, tho.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Do you still get any idiots who ask if you can play Mario/Zelda on the Playstation or Xbox?

Comment

Look at the bright side: I think you are going to be able to ruin a record number of Christmases this year!

On the Mom that bought the XBOX 360; sounds like she deserves a Customer of the Year award! Her kids just taught her an expensive lesson, and she's not getting angry at you about it!

Comment

Quoth Opalin View Post
                  Next day she comes in while my boss is working, in a rage, though amazingly not at us, and returns everything. Apparently her 'little angels' bought 300+$ worth of stuff on XB marketplace. >_<. What amazed my boss was this.
                  DFPL: "That girl yesterday tried to warn me. Guess I should have listened, but now my kids have to pay!"
                  To borrow a line from a famous Christmas movie, "Yikes! They committed credit card fraud!" And I bet to borrow a line from a Christmas episode from a 90s TV classic, "You darn right you'll be doing extra chores to work off the money you stole!"

I'm guessing Santa has a few new names on his naughty list for sure!

Comment

I don't work at a games store anymore but I was there back in the Winter of 2006 when the PS3 and the Wii first came out.

The PS3 launch was pretty tame, largely due to the insanely high price of the things at the time.

But the Wii launch, my God the Wiis. Parents got downright vicious over those things. Stock was so tight and EVERYBODY just had to have one.

The weeks between the Wii launch and Christmas were long let me tell you and then, amazingly, similar nonsense repeated in 2007 when Wiis were in short supply AGAIN.
                    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I did ask my wife for a WiiU (the bundle with New Super Mario/Luigi disc) this year (though I want to get my current consoles caught up first); hopefully she'll have better luck?

For the record I'm an old skool traditionalist gamer (been gaming since 1990; own a top loader NES, SNES, N64, GC (for Game Boy Player), Wii (GC-ready), PS2 slim, GEN1 (with SMS convertor and Sega CD) and cecha PS3); thus I have zero interest in the PS4/X1. Nothing against them mind you, I just don't get/understand a lot of modern gaming. Like what is up with all that stream and cloud stuff for example?

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
                        hmmm..I guess this means I really think should upgrading from my original Xbox now.

Nope; you'll have to still keep your original Xbox hooked up as neither of the so-called "real" 8th gen consoles have ANY backwards compatibility. And if you remember the 360 only ran about half (if that) of the original Xbox games correctly.

Even if I do get a WiiU this Christmas, I still must keep my regular (GC ready) Wii because some games like Mario Kart Wii can use a GC controller (and for me it's the most ideal) and I use it to play my GC games (very underrated console that deserved a lot more respect). And I still have to have a GC hooked up to use the Game Boy Player.

So if you want to get a Xbox One (sounds like the President's console or Xbox Live handle doesn't it?) knock yourself out, but don't ditch your original Xbox either.

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
                          Do you still get any idiots who ask if you can play Mario/Zelda on the Playstation or Xbox?
                          Dear goddess, I used to get an unbelievable number of total idiots who wanted to get the new Mario game for the 360. After trying again and again to tell them unsuccessfully that Mario is licensed and legally owned by Nintendo and no one else, my friend and coworker Travis told me how to approach the demand for a 360 Mario game differently. Since they weren't listening and behaving like I was stupid, Travis told me to ask them about the new Halo game for the Wii if they kept going on about Mario for the 360. They always insisted that there was none, but when I pointed out that that's what I was trying to tell them they either shut up really quick or kept on insisting there was one and I just didn't know what I was talking about. Then again this was the Englishtown flea market with a couple different people selling those fake Mario consoles, so maybe there was a guy who put it on a disk for the 360.
                          ......../\
                          ....../__\
                          ..../\...../\
                          ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                            I'm waiting a bit to get either, as the trend on launch systems lately has been very few games at launch, then wait a long-ish time for the secondary releases. Sony has been particularly bad about it. Still lots of 360/PS3 games to catch up on as everyone cashes them in to the used places.
                            My strategy as well. Ill be able to get the games cheap from the used store. Still lots of life in my current system.

Comment

New Console Insanity is precisely why I'm waiting until well after the holidays to acquire my next-gen consoles. And also because I never trust the first wave of hardware to work properly. (RRoD ahoy!)
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X