Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uhhhmmm....no. find your own forklift!

alrightie then. new job. i may spin the story of that transition in morons in management... i'll have to think about that one, BUT ANYWAY...

today was day 3 of new job... another Big Yellow campground... this one in southern CA. got a long-term guest call on the phone today with a weird request. her AC had stopped working, and she'd called a mobile RV repair guy to come to replace it, but apparently it's a one man show, and RV ACs are heavy, so she wanted to borrow machinery from the park (she originally asked if we had a forklift, i told her all we had was a tractor) to lift the AC to the roof for the repair guy. this question is so off-the-wall, i've never been asked the like of it in the last 11 years i've been doing this job...the sheer audacity of it, and my being new at this location i kinda floundered around for a bit and said i'd have to ask someone if it were even possible. unfortunately my direct supervisor was off today....

queue about 4 hours later she calls back all irate that i never returned her call (even though i wasn't really able to ask anyone "official".) she starts going off on me about needing to book the repair guy and she needs to know for sure if the tractor will be available at a certain time on a certain day. i try to point out to her that even if we DO agree to move this AC for her (as no way this side of hades are we gonna let her or her hired guy drive the park's tractor!) we have no way of guaranteeing it will definitely be available at a certain time... it's an active park gearing up for the busy season, WE need that tractor a heck of a lot more than she does! i could promise "yes, it'll be available at noon on friday, and if our sewer blows up or the maintenance guy gets sick or any myriad other things that could happen, she'd be SoL... and pissed off about it.. my co-worker, who has maybe a week on me there, takes over the call and informs her that due to liability issues she probably would not be able to make use of our tractor and reiterates my point that even if we do let her, we cannot absolutely guarantee what time it would be available...

she pitches a fit and drops the names of my other co worker (who's been there 2 months) and supervisor, both of whom said "ummmm... no." when i told them about it later.

seriously... we're a campground, not a rental depot. if you need a forklift/tractor that desperately, quit being a cheapass by borrowing ours and go rent your own.

"He triiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiied to kill me with a forklift...!" [cookies for ref]

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
      "He triiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiied to kill me with a forklift...!" [cookies for ref]
      Your MST3K is showing.

Comment

I wish I had the picture from a former major Utah manufacturer of PC peripherals of an unchocked forklift that had rolled down the warehouse ramp into the parking lot and impaled somebody's car *just right* for picking up.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

heh. i had to look up the reference, but now that i have... LOL

glad i'm off today and i don't have to deal with the callback where we tell her "no. no forklift for joo!"

Comment

Oh, I see how this is going. She hired the cheapest outfit to do her AC, got a one-man outfit who doesn't have the equipment, but it's someone else's fault.
            She wants the park to come up with a lifting device, but she's not going to want to pay for that because, again, cheap, but again, this is NOT her fault.

Personally, I'd make a few calls, then DRIVE the damn thing down to where the AC can be done by an outfit that can actually do the flippin job. But that's just me, being a big meanie and not fixing her problem for her. For free, no less.

Comment

does she have a huge window unit for an ac? i have seen the ones for 5th wheels and they arent that big, i havent touched an rv ac unit, but i cant imagine them being that large either.
              This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
              my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

no, she had a regular roof unit. they're not ginormous, but they are a bit bigger than they look from the ground. the real challenge is getting it onto the roof, especially without any equipment to help with the heavy lifting. that, along with the cost of a roof unit, is why a lot of older RVs end up with a window unit hung out the back window when the old roof unit dies

Comment

You know, even if someone at the park drove the tractor and lifted the unit for her, if they dropped it or caused any damage, she would be screaming at you for that and demanding compensation. I would tell her she'll have to arrange her own vehicle, or use a different company that can provide their own.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

exactly... huge liability issue

if i hadn't been so flabbergasted by it, i would have just said no from the start, but sometimes someone asks for something so stupid you stumble for a minute...

Comment

Quoth katzklaw View Post
                      sometimes someone asks for something so stupid you stumble for a minute...
                      My callers do this to me a lot. Prime example a couple of weeks ago: I explained shipping methods, with travel times and estimated arrival dates. Caller asks which is faster.

For a few seconds, all I could do was stare at my phone while my brain managed to recover from having such stupid run through it.
                      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                      X