Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been (mostly lurking) since the Mr. Slugger days. Sad to see this. Just sent a job request for the Facebook group.
    You're focusing on the problem. If you focus on the problem, you can't see the solution. Never focus on the problem! --From Patch Adams

Comment

Raps, you've gotta do what's best for you, and I truly appreciate all the work AND money you've put into this place. I came here from another forum where people didn't behave nearly as well to each other, and this is the best of all the sites I regularly visit. I really hope someone will buy it and maintain it as close as possible to this format, but if not, let me say a huge and heartfelt THANK YOU to you and to all the wonderful people who visit here.

P.S. This may be a minority opinion, but I have no Facebook account, nor do I want anything to do with it, so if that turns out to be the only remaining CS forum, I won't be going there
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

On FB: I'm not an admin there, but new CS people have been joining the group left and right since the announcement -- whoever has approval permissions is probably just offline/asleep/working ^_^ Have no fear.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
          *cough* Facebook CS Group *cough*
          Damn. I may have to give in and get a FB account

Raps, thank you for everything you've done for us. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's only managed to remain sane by having somewhere safe to come and hang out for a while, even if the reasons for needing that safe place never get shared around.

I wonder; I've noticed some people posting to say they have the skills and time but not the money. Would it be possible to crowd-fund? Possibly ask for people willing to make a voluntary donation of, say £1 a month to help carry costs? While there are those who can't manage that or would be unwilling, there might be enough regulars who can do it to help pay for the site, plus those who might be able to make the odd one-off donation if things are getting tight (I would probably be in the latter category, depending on the time of year).
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I considered donations back in the day - decided against. I've got no issue if a group of people want to run the place, but that's fraught with the usual issues when there's more than one person involved.

Rapscallion

Comment

Through cancer and upheavals, cs has been there.
              Facebook is not the same as a well-run forum.
              I would certainly be willing to pay something to keep the place.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                Damn. I may have to give in and get a FB account
                Not me. If this site goes, I'll probably just disappear along with it. Facebook just wouldn't be the same, and a whole lot riskier.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                  Yeah, same boat here. I've been lurking, just haven't had time with all the absolute chaos erupting at my place, to actually post.

Followers of me on FB can vouch that, yep, it's been...weird.
                  When is it anything ever but weird with you? :P
                  The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    Not me. If this site goes, I'll probably just disappear along with it. Facebook just wouldn't be the same, and a whole lot riskier.
                    You'll be missed. There's a lot of people who'll be missed.
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I wouldn't follow to FB either ... I don't trust work to not 'snoop' on my activities on FB.

Hopefully we can find someone to take over the site, or move elsewhere

Comment

Quoth Rana View Post
                        I wouldn't follow to FB either ... I don't trust work to not 'snoop' on my activities on FB.

Hopefully we can find someone to take over the site, or move elsewhere
                        Agreed. Even for CS, I won't get a FB account. Ever. Here's hoping someone can take over.
                        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

This is awful news, I'm sad to see the possibility of a major change.

(But I also understand a project like this takes a lot of time, and money).

I do have VPS hosting that I would be willing to help out with, as long as my VPS can handle this and my other sites.
                          Quote Dalesys:
                          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

How does this change affect Fratching?
                            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              This is why, despite me wanting to join the FB group, I won't -- it's too much of a risk for me to join said group since I've got current co-workers on it.

I'd hate to see the site go, it was one of the few places I've been to that I've stayed despite me not posting a lot.
                              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

greek_jester -- That sounds like the sort of thing Patreon was designed for (those who wish do do so pay a buck or 3 or 5 or 50 a month, and can stop the payments at any time). Could be worth bringing it up with whomever takes over, in lieu of advertising. Patreon deals with the financials, the owner would just have to account for the actual hosting fees, as well as the cuts (probably 5-10% each) for Patreon and for Paypal/their payment processor. I'd be in for a fiver

Hero -- I guess that would be up to whoever takes over.
                                Last edited by EricKei; 01-18-2016, 04:04 PM.
                                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                                X