This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope, no add-ons.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Either javascript is turned off, or it just doesn't support/recognize it all, then? ..... that browser might predate a lot of the current functionality in js, which might explain slowness; the browser may be trying to parse javascript newer than whatever version it was built to recognize.

That's crazy.
      Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Comment

From wikipedia's Firefox 2 article:

Firefox 2.x was end-of-lifed in December, 2008.[14] With roughly 26 months of support, only Firefox 3.6 was supported longer. The Gecko 1.8.1 browser core continued to receive patches for projects such as Camino, K-Meleon, and SeaMonkey, even after official Firefox releases had ceased.

By 2011, the 1.8.1 core had become obsolete, as major websites dropped support for it[15] by employing newer technologies for presentation and complex scripting.[16][17] The latter can be resource-intensive with the older core, and users stuck with it should use NoScript[18] to avoid issues with scripts that take too long to process (at the cost of losing some or all site features beyond basic functionality).
        It sounds like this could very well explain the slowness you've mentioned. Either try NoScript, or can you perhaps grab Chrome and give it a go to see how it behaves?
        Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Comment

Yesterday, I had ads. Today I don't. Go figure.
          "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

I just turned off Add Block Plus. I now have adds. If they are this discreet, I will leave it off, just for the sake of the site .

Comment

Yup. I do believe that "discreet/non-intrusive ads" is definitely the intention.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                Yup. I do believe that "discreet/non-intrusive ads" is definitely the intention.
                oh, very, VERY much so. Definitely, 100%.
                Discreet, non-intrusive, and site-appropriate (no adult ads, no gross "shock" ads, etc...).

They are a necessary evil, but they will not take over the pages.
                Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                  I just turned off Add Block Plus. I now have adds. If they are this discreet, I will leave it off, just for the sake of the site .
                  There is a newer version of AdBlock Plus: AdBlock Ultimate for Firefox. I've been testing it out over the last few days or so . . . works pretty decent. And very easy to toggle between enabling and disabling on individual sites.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Is there any update on the Forum Runner issue? I would like to be able to use the app again if possible.

Comment

Not yet, and PPE is on vacation for the next week or two -- He will be checking in as often as possible, though, so please bear with us
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Hmm...I'm not seeing the ads on IE11, which doesn't have an AdBlock that I know of. I wouldn't mind having them on the site if they're discreet and it helps server costs, so does anyone know how I can make IE let them through for this site?
                        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

We're working out the kinks

And yeah, all I've seen so far are static, no-audio basic banners.

Comment

Are you paid just to show the banners, or are you only paid per click?
                            They slow the loading of a new page perceptively down. I'm thinking about turning them off, but I'd rather not if those few additional seconds will pay some of the expenses.

ETA Mine are animated, not static. No sound.

Comment

You'd have to ask PPE about that, he will be back in a few days, and in and out til then.

Comment

Quoth PrplPplEater View Post
                                oh, very, VERY much so. Definitely, 100%.
                                Discreet, non-intrusive, and site-appropriate (no adult ads, no gross "shock" ads, etc...).

They are a necessary evil, but they will not take over the pages.
                                I don't mind them too much, but I would rather not see that one with the gross swelling on the guy's chest. I keep reporting it, but it keeps showing up.
                                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                                My LiveJournal
                                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                                X