Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No, we are not responsible for the health of a car you bought as is over a year ago

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It always makes me sad when people with new machines don't treat them nicely during the break in process. New engines are almost as fragile as elderly ones.

I do want more details as to what is going one with Rosco's story. Besides the BSCrazy excuse, who in the world would expect anyone to warranty a product not sold by them?

Comment

I purchased a car from a young man moving across the country.
      There was one hiccup. He had taken out a loan to buy the car, and that had to be paid off. When I called the DMV, a woman said it was "impossible" to buy a car in that situation. It isn't though. People trade in cars all the time, you just have to know the steps on how to do it. Problem solved.

Young man drove the car up, with his dad following. We stood in my kitchen with the appropriate paperwork. He looked at me and said, kind of apologetically, "They told me to write, 'paid in full' on the paperwork." I told him, that's okay, people told me to write "as is."

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
        My cousin bought a brand new car and couldn't be bothered to get the oil changed... Even when she had free oil changes for the first 50,000 miles. She couldn't understand why the engine locked up at 21,000 miles. She keeps talking about suing the automaker for how fast it died.
        Yep, it's always the manufacturer's (or the car's) fault

My dad is one of those people. He never maintained his vehicles. Everything other than periodic oil changes was "unnecessary" or "expensive." Little wonder that most of his cars were absolute shitboxes, even if they were only a few years old.

For example, the Saturn L-series (which was a piece of crap to begin with, even when new) he had consumed *thousands* in suspension repairs because he couldn't be bothered to get the moving bits properly greased. Little wonder that the parts were trashed.

Before that, was the '86 Taurus that he'd bought from his stepdad. That 8-year-old car was already in rough shape. Rather than maintain it, it was allowed to deteriorate further. At least one of the rear springs broke, the top of the gas tank had rotted out, various electrics didn't work, etc. When that heap finally went, the driver's door actually fell off when it was being traded in

Last I heard, he was driving a beat-up Hyundai, which I'm sure is held together with duct tape and has stop signs for floors.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I just did the yearly rust eradication on my 98' Buick Century. Required redoing the rockers on both sides, but, I knew that the first rust bubble was the warning - "You have one year to fix this, tops, before it becomes terminal and you'll never pass another PSI"

Yes, it cost some money, (But even then, working at a garage with a bodyshop and a BS tech who likes you AND likes pizza helps!) know what would've cost MORE? Buying another car.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            I just did the yearly rust eradication on my 98' Buick Century. Required redoing the rockers on both sides, but, I knew that the first rust bubble was the warning - "You have one year to fix this, tops, before it becomes terminal and you'll never pass another PSI"
            I did something similar with my last car. While the Corolla still ran like new, the body was getting a bit rough. The car had been caught out in a hailstorm, and over 10 years, some of the spots had started to rust. I ground off the rust, did the usual primer/sand/primer/spot paint/etc in the driveway. While it looked OK at 20 paces, I sure wasn't aiming for a concours (or even showroom) finish. I had plans to deal with the rust hole behind the rear door (a result of Pittsburgh going nuts with road salt)...but the car was totaled last year.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Before selling this car, we GAVE a Chevy Cavalier to our best friend. It was 14 years old and had almost 250,000 miles on it.

Our friend drives like an idiot, jackrabbit starts, slamming on the brakes at the last minute, swerving in and out of traffic, etc. Total jerk.

He also doesn't maintain his cars, which is why he needed my old one. HOWEVER, because we gave him the car, I maintained nagging rights and was able to force him to keep the standard oil changes/lube etc. up.

Currently, that car looks like a total junker because of all the body damage he caused, but when you start it, it runs. When you push on the brakes, it stops. Almost 300,000 miles now and probably the best car we ever owned.

Back to my SC, while we were in court, he kept telling everyone that any reputable dealership would offer free oil changes, or at least a reminder that it was time for him to pay attention to his car...everyone else kept reminding him that he didn't buy his car from a dealership, but from a private seller and "as is".

We haven't gotten the money he owes us for our bother, but the entertainment value was worth the cost of a couple of movies!

Comment

Back in 08 I bought a Ford Escape, it's a good car, in 2011 a hail storm beat the crap out of it and the insurance company totaled it, I kept the car, took the difference in money, replaced the broken glass and moved it to be the family spare car. Until the hail it didn't have a ding or scratch and less than 30k miles. Replaced it with a 2011 Escape.
                When my youngest daughter wrecked the car I built for her I gave her the 08 Escape. She hated it and constantly complained about all the dents. I told her since the title was in her name she could do with it as she pleased. The next day she traded it for 2013 Jeep Wrangler that had 70k miles on it but it was very pimped out with lots of bells and whistles. She relied on her boyfriend at the time to negotiate the deal and he did a poor job.
                The 08 Escape came up at auction and I bought it back and it's back to a spare car for my wife and I. The Jeep however promptly broke down and has cost her a lot of money to fix. She then allowed the bf to wreck it out 4-wheeling. Insurance wouldn't pay, bf got fired from his job and he couldn't pay, daughter doesn't have the money so now it sits in pieces until she can afford to fix it. She wrongly assumed that she would then be able to drive the spare. Nope, she disrespected the two cars we gave her, allowed that knuckled headed bf to wreck her car and disrespected the wife and I. She's now ridding the bus and walking. When you have to be at school at 7am and the first bus runs at 6am you can't afford to miss it or you get locked out of class for the day.
                Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Wrecked the Jeep doing the off-road thing. Nothing wrong with off-roading, but you NEVER do that with the daily driver for reasons... well, she got a lesson, but did she learn anything?
                  Never go playing in a vehicle you have to depend on. Besides, the play vehicle can be better tweaked for going out and playing without messing up the rest of one's life.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                    Wrecked the Jeep doing the off-road thing. Nothing wrong with off-roading, but you NEVER do that with the daily driver for reasons... well, she got a lesson, but did she learn anything?
                    Never go playing in a vehicle you have to depend on. Besides, the play vehicle can be better tweaked for going out and playing without messing up the rest of one's life.
                    She is well aware of you don't play with your daily driver but she chose to ignore that let her bf wreck it by driving beyond his skills in a vehicle that he wasn't qualified to drive in a place the vehicle didn't belong.
                    She's learning this lesson the hard way. She does have her scooter to ride but with it having been cold and wet she's elected not to ride it. She does grab rides when she can especially after dark. We've told her to call and we'll come and get her after dark as our road isn't safe to walk on after dark. You might ask why the bf doesn't ride her around, well after he was asked to contribute to fixing the Jeep he fled to another state and broke up with her via text.
                    She also has a bicycle to ride but so far that means of transportation hasn't been mentioned.
                    At the rate she's going on saving money to fix the Jeep her little brother (9) will be driving before her. Oh here's the real kicker she still owe's money on it and is having to make payments and keep insurance on it even though it's not drivable, and the insurance wouldn't pay to fix it since it was an intentional act by an uninsured drive with the permission of the owner. I don't know how much worse she could have messed up without someone having been hurt or killed.
                    I guess you can tell that this is just a little touchy for me. She is her mother's daughter.

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
                      I don't know how much worse she could have messed up without someone having been hurt or killed.
                      Look at it this way. She's had her major reality check, and no-one ended up in hospital or the morgue. Hopefully she'll be more sensible with her next bf, and when she does manage to get the Jeep up and running (or she finally pays it off and can just sell it for scrap and use the money as a deposit on a new car) she might treat it with a little more respect.
                      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
                        She is well aware of you don't play with your daily driver but she chose to ignore that let her bf wreck it by driving beyond his skills in a vehicle that he wasn't qualified to drive in a place the vehicle didn't belong.
                        You might ask why the bf doesn't ride her around, well after he was asked to contribute to fixing the Jeep he fled to another state and broke up with her via text.
                        At the rate she's going on saving money to fix the Jeep her little brother (9) will be driving before her.

Oh here's the real kicker she still owe's money on it and is having to make payments and keep insurance on it even though it's not drivable, and the insurance wouldn't pay to fix it since it was an intentional act by an uninsured drive with the permission of the owner.

I don't know how much worse she could have messed up without someone having been hurt or killed.
                        Let's see... someone could have gone to jail, or become a fugitive from the law. She could be putting a (bigger) hole in your bank account. (Actually, formal bankruptcy might be an option for her to consider.) For that matter, she could have lost her job....

Worst of all, she could have alienated the parent who's (apparently) providing bed, board, and backup transportation. That would put her on the street....

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
                          You might ask why the bf doesn't ride her around, well after he was asked to contribute to fixing the Jeep he fled to another state and broke up with her via text.
                          That's one good thing to come out of the situation. That bf showed his true colors.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

One wrecked Jeep is a bit expensive of a price to be rid of such trash, but how much more would it have cost later on? What other damages/expenses get fobbed off at the earliest opportunity. Even with proper precautions taken, children... happen occasionally. Better this 'cheap' lesson early on, than harsher, more painful ones later.
                            I'd like to think she'll be a little more cautious and picky about who gets trusted with what, since it'll take a long while to pay off THIS foulup.

Comment

We had an old Chevy once, and had purchased another main car. Husband asked if we could give the old car to No-Account Relative, who *really* needed a car.

I told him I'd do anything but. No-Account would have abandoned the car the first time it ran out of gas, I said, and would leave it rusting on the edge of the road.

We traded the car for some work on the house.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                                Look at it this way. She's had her major reality check, and no-one ended up in hospital or the morgue. Hopefully she'll be more sensible with her next bf, and when she does manage to get the Jeep up and running (or she finally pays it off and can just sell it for scrap and use the money as a deposit on a new car) she might treat it with a little more respect.
                                It's not damaged enough to scrap, if she decides she doesn't want it we can sell off a lot of part on it. Yes reality came up and slapped her upside the head and it's still ringing. The next bf was worse, he was just interested in a fwb and told her brothers and BIL that. They ran him off.

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
                                Let's see... someone could have gone to jail, or become a fugitive from the law. She could be putting a (bigger) hole in your bank account. (Actually, formal bankruptcy might be an option for her to consider.) For that matter, she could have lost her job....

Worst of all, she could have alienated the parent who's (apparently) providing bed, board, and backup transportation. That would put her on the street....
                                At this point without a car she doesn't have a steady job. She's been working part-time on a few different food-trucks prepping the food. She also works part-time for a local BBQ chain. She does most of the prep for their catering part and on busy weekends. She did have a job cooking for a new night-club but the kitchen closes at 1am and getting a ride at that time of night if iffy at best. While we have uber and lyft around here they're expensive at that time of night.

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                                That's one good thing to come out of the situation. That bf showed his true colors.
                                Yes he did and good ridence.

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                                One wrecked Jeep is a bit expensive of a price to be rid of such trash, but how much more would it have cost later on? What other damages/expenses get fobbed off at the earliest opportunity. Even with proper precautions taken, children... happen occasionally. Better this 'cheap' lesson early on, than harsher, more painful ones later.
                                I'd like to think she'll be a little more cautious and picky about who gets trusted with what, since it'll take a long while to pay off THIS foulup.
                                She's always been a generous kid giving to those that need but this time... well she'll learn not to play too hard with your play-purties especially when you can't afford to loose them.

A little update, this morning my middle son and I put the Jeep on jack-stands and disassembled the front-end. It's bad the axle shaft, axle housing, right knuckle, upper and lower control arms, sway bar, drag link, wheel, tire, bent frame and that's just the short list. We didn't try to start it to see if it runs, she said it was running after the crash.
                                This is gonna cost several thousand dollars to repair. My son said he already had most of the parts but I told him to get a cost before proceeding to see if she is willing.

Comment

Working...
                                X